Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:24 am 
Banned

I live less than one-half hour from the theater. 8)

Library of Congress

NOVEMBER 2008

Monday
Nov. 24
FRANK ZAPPA MINI-FILM FESTIVAL
"Uncle Meat" (1987). 7 p.m., Mary Pickford Theater. Contact: (202) 707-5677.

Thursday
Nov. 27
THANKSGIVING DAY
All Library buildings are closed in observance of the federal Thanksgiving Day holiday.

DECEMBER 2008

Monday
Dec. 1
"The Amazing Mr. Bickford" (1987) and "Does Humor Belong In Music?" (1985). 7 p.m., Mary Pickford Theater.

Reservations may be made by phone beginning one week before any given show. Call (202) 707-5677 during business hours. Reserved seats must be claimed at least 10 minutes before showtime, after which standbys will be admitted to unclaimed seats. All programs are free, but seating is limited to 60 seats.

Post subject: In Toronto!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:24 pm 

Nice!!!! Wish I could go?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:36 pm 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

All programs are free, but seating is limited to 60 seats.

Yea?
well now you're just showing off .. a bit 8)

60 FZ freaks in one (1) room is .. [which word best completes this sentence] .. !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:26 pm 

stride wrote:
60 FZ freaks in one (1) room is .. [which word best completes this sentence] .. !

Unpredictable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:27 pm 

I'm thinking about going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:40 pm 
Banned

calvin2hikers wrote:

Don't be late. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Don't be late. 8)

Oh wait, I already have those on videotape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:27 am 
Banned

calvin2hikers wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Don't be late. 8)

Do you also have 59 Zappa freaks and a small theater with a large screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:27 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Don't be late. 8)

Do you also have 59 Zappa freaks and a small theater with a large screen?

Well, let's just say, no. But I do have a 32 inch TV and a family that doesn't care for Frank Zappa. So, I'm real close.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:53 am 
Banned

Library of Congress

NOVEMBER 2008

Monday
Nov. 24
"Uncle Meat" (1987). 7 p.m., Mary Pickford Theater. Contact: (202) 707-5677

Reservations may be made by phone beginning one week before any given show. Call (202) 707-5677 during business hours. Reserved seats must be claimed at least 10 minutes before showtime, after which standbys will be admitted to unclaimed seats. All programs are free, but seating is limited to 60 seats.

I reserved two seats on Monday. 8)

I own the official videotape, but I've never seen Uncle Meat on a big screen.

As of this morning, reservations are still being taken for this free 60-seat showing.
There is virtually zero publicity surrounding this event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:19 pm 

sorry jimmie d bro
i gotta back out at the last mo

i'm sure you will find someone to give my tik to
please post here a short review ..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:24 pm 

Me too Jimmie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:43 am 

I'm going!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:48 pm 

When I was in grad school at UMD I had the LOC pull all their FZ related content, scheduled a day to some in, and went to the little viewing room to watch Baby Snakes, Uncle Meat, DHBIM, Bickford, and I think Video From Hell and Dub Room Special. The librarian gave me a very peculiar look. I sat on this tiny wooden stool in a dark room with headphones on staring at a small tv. My back was killing me by the end of the day, but it was worth it! This was a long time ago.

This other thing sounds far more comfortable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:40 pm 

edgewaterinn wrote:
When I was in grad school at UMD I had the LOC pull all their FZ related content, scheduled a day to some in, and went to the little viewing room to watch Baby Snakes, Uncle Meat, DHBIM, Bickford, and I think Video From Hell and Dub Room Special. The librarian gave me a very peculiar look. I sat on this tiny wooden stool in a dark room with headphones on staring at a small tv. My back was killing me by the end of the day, but it was worth it! This was a long time ago.

This other thing sounds far more comfortable!

ARE YOU HARD-CORE.....or what?

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:52 pm 

debutante_daisy wrote:
I'm going!

A stunning announcement!

I'll alert the media!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:33 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
debutante_daisy wrote:
I'm going!

A stunning announcement!

I'll alert the media!

please forward me a copy of the press release before you send it out :!:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:43 pm 

Debutante Daisy To Go To Mini-Film Festival

In a stunning announcement, Debutante Daisy is going to the Frank Zappa Mini-Film Festival in Washington DC.

She is 41.

She goes to a lot of Zappa things, even in other countries.

(Debutante Daisy contributed to this story)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:17 pm 

stride wrote:

All programs are free, but seating is limited to 60 seats.

Yea?
well now you're just showing off .. a bit 8)

How's this??. I live a half hour away...ON FOOT!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:51 am 

The Library Of Congress lists this as well:
December 8
200 MOTELS (1971) directed by Tony Palmer, Charles Swenson, and Frank Zappa (98 minutes) – A tale of life on the road with animation interspersed with performances of the Mothers of Invention and the Royal Symphony Orchestra, and a cast that includes Theodore Bikel and Ringo Starr.

I wonder if it'll be from genuine film stock...if I had to bet, I'd say yes. That's why I'll be there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:58 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Debutante Daisy To Go To Mini-Film Festival

In a stunning announcement, Debutante Daisy is going to the Frank Zappa Mini-Film Festival in Washington DC.

She is 41.

She goes to a lot of Zappa things, even in other countries.

(Debutante Daisy contributed to this story)

Only four hours til showtime!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:07 am 

So glad I went!! I never owned the VHS of Uncle Meat but used to rent it from Tower every two years or so. I always criticized it as a mess, now I think of it as low grade genius. I watched the whole thing wide eyed and might have gotten off on the knowledge that some in the audience were thinking:..what the fuck is going on here???..and I'm wasting my time on this??
When the presenter asked for a show of hands as to how many had seen it, I would say only about 15% to 20% raised their hands out of a room that supposedly sat 60.
The copy itself had problems. Lots of little white static lines in the beginning with dull colors. These cleared up about 20 min in or so. Also, we got some sections of black sometimes lasting as long as 15 seconds when Frank was using his flashing effects. I guess it was too much for the player. At least it wasn't a jarring blue screen. They also turned it off right before we'd get the announcement that it was a Honker...Home Video. Perhaps to destroy the illusion of them not playing something better than a VHS tape. My one attempt at asking the curator about the format ("I think 35") made no sense.
He also thanked Gail for her support which got some applause. I didn't feel the need to join in. This is The Library of Congress. It's free and they don't need anyone's permission to play anything that's been in the public sphere...as far as I know. These are from tapes already in the library...not some new transfer. Several years back they played the abomination that is The Star Wars Holiday Special. Lucas had no recourse. It's in the library, so it's available to the public. If Gail had sent over Burnt Weenie I would have done a standing applause at the mention of her name.
Don't know if I'll be back next week for Bickford/Humor but I'm in the mood for another viewing of 200 Motels and I'm crossing my fingers it'll be on film stock...just so I can get that midnight movie feel many of you have gotten that I've been deprived of.
I didn't see any youngsters in the group. I thought I'd see at least one young guy and his bored girlfriend...but no. I'm nearly 37 and I felt the youngest in the bunch...not that it matters...but I'm just sayin'...no one under 30 fer sure. Correct me if I'm wrong..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:11 am 

vivalapsych wrote:
So glad I went!! I never owned the VHS of Uncle Meat but used to rent it from Tower every two years or so. I always criticized it as a mess, now I think of it as low grade genius. I watched the whole thing wide eyed and might have gotten off on the knowledge that some in the audience were thinking:..what the fuck is going on here???..and I'm wasting my time on this??
When the presenter asked for a show of hands as to how many had seen it, I would say only about 15% to 20% raised their hands out of a room that supposedly sat 60.
The copy itself had problems. Lots of little white static lines in the beginning with dull colors. These cleared up about 20 min in or so. Also, we got some sections of black sometimes lasting as long as 15 seconds when Frank was using his flashing effects. I guess it was too much for the player. At least it wasn't a jarring blue screen. They also turned it off right before we'd get the announcement that it was a Honker...Home Video. Perhaps to destroy the illusion of them not playing something better than a VHS tape. My one attempt at asking the curator about the format ("I think 35") made no sense.
He also thanked Gail for her support which got some applause. I didn't feel the need to join in. This is The Library of Congress. It's free and they don't need anyone's permission to play anything that's been in the public sphere...as far as I know. These are from tapes already in the library...not some new transfer. Several years back they played the abomination that is The Star Wars Holiday Special. Lucas had no recourse. It's in the library, so it's available to the public. If Gail had sent over Burnt Weenie I would have done a standing applause at the mention of her name.
Don't know if I'll be back next week for Bickford/Humor but I'm in the mood for another viewing of 200 Motels and I'm crossing my fingers it'll be on film stock...just so I can get that midnight movie feel many of you have gotten that I've been deprived of.
I didn't see any youngsters in the group. I thought I'd see at least one young guy and his bored girlfriend...but no. I'm nearly 37 and I felt the youngest in the bunch...not that it matters...but I'm just sayin'...no one under 30 fer sure. Correct me if I'm wrong..

I didn't see any kids and I only counted 5 girls there including myself. The funny thing for us was that we took the Metro and my friend and I were sitting in the train saying to ourselves, "I wonder where all these people are going?" I thought to myself, "not the Library of Congress seeing that the theatre only holds 60 people." When we go there, 3 people that were in the very same train car as we were, were sitting in the theatre...two of them were sitting right next to us! How random and weird...I wonder what the odds of that happening actually are?

Anyway.....I thought the movie had some definite highlights and I did recognize a lot of snippets of the film that have appeared in other movies. I laughed some, shook my head at times and overall am glad that I finally got the see the whole thing from start to finish. It was definitely out there, that is for sure.

I'm not sure I will go next week? I guess I should make a reservation just in case.