Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:19 am 

Oh you don't have to wade through everything, just plain old mouth-to-mouth advertizing will do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:50 am 

I'm with BBP on this for similar reasons.

Today I have much greater and quicker access to all music than I did 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Using the 'internets' (thanks Dubya) I can chase any one artist through every project they've ever worked on and, as a result, encounter artists that I'd never likely hear. Kind of a 'seven degrees' kind of thing. And I have to thank my fellow music phreaks here for turning me on to artists I'd never heard before. Prior to this technology I had to rely on word-of-mouth (which my antisocial tendencies negatively impacted), the wall of new-release 45's at my small small town Radio Shack (which generally put me off new music) and music mags (which I rarely had the patience to wade through, with the possible exception of Rolling Stone; if only for any input by Hunter Thompson or Raoul Duke). And my opinion of most of my friends' tastes probably reflected their opinions of mine.

And yes, there is a lot more tripe that is a lot more accesible; that is true. But I've also got to hear some awsome stuff submitted by forum members that I (and likely the majority of the forum) wouldn't have heard of otherwise.

Rant rant rant.
:mrgreen:

Miasma!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
BBP wrote:
The future. Now that we have the power to kick the asses of all the corporations and unions and now that even the sorriest composer can afford to have a reasonable rendition of his work, there will be so much music to breathe!

I'm not sure that's such a good thing. There will be so much shit to wade through to find anything good. Every idiot with a computer (everyone) will think they're a fucking artist.

That's already happened. Been on myspace lately? It's a giant catch all for anything anyone wants to do with their instruments/samplers/voice/recording equipment. You don't even have to use your own name or explain anything. There's a beauty to the oversaturation, but it's not without it's frustrations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:21 pm 

thatstuffisverybadforyou wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
BBP wrote:
The future. Now that we have the power to kick the asses of all the corporations and unions and now that even the sorriest composer can afford to have a reasonable rendition of his work, there will be so much music to breathe!

I'm not sure that's such a good thing. There will be so much shit to wade through to find anything good. Every idiot with a computer (everyone) will think they're a fucking artist.

That's already happened. Been on myspace lately? It's a giant catch all for anything anyone wants to do with their instruments/samplers/voice/recording equipment. You don't even have to use your own name or explain anything. There's a beauty to the oversaturation, but it's not without it's frustrations.

Yeah. It think the internet's great and I wouldn't want to go back but it seems like there is something to be said for when it was "harder" to make music. It took more effort/talent to break through in the past and when you did you had a better chance of sticking around for awhile. Now everything is more disposable than ever before and very few new artists have a lasting impact. Modern technology and the internet is great for hobbyists and "flashes in the pan" but I don't think it has helped create any more truly great artists than in past decades.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:24 pm 

It's a strange trade-off. The cost of getting the work done has gone down, but the cost (in money and in time) of marketing yourself has gone WAY up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm 

being a ripe age of 17 my favourite decade is the 90's:
Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Reel Big Fish, Regurgitator, Red Hot Chili Peppers

but also 00's:
Tool & Pearl Jam (again), The Hives, Cog, Karnivool, Muse, Kings Of Leon

but i really think nobody can deny that the 60's is really where its at

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:12 pm 

This is a really hard one, but I'd have to go with the 60's/70's. Something about that era just kicks copious amounts of ass. I mean, we had Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Frank, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Bloodrock, Cactus, Frijid Pink, Audience, etc, etc. You don't see much of that in today's music.

But then in the 90's a few acts came around that I really dig... Primus, Phish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, The White Stripes,

2000's groups? I don't know... I like the Mars Volta as of late, as well as Muse, and how could I forget Gnarls Barkley!?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:16 pm 

It is so nice to see someone else mention Bloodrock! Those first two albums are great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:18 pm 

I love Bloodrock!! That first album is one of the best debuts ever!

I really like "Fantastic Piece of Architecture".

Wishbone Ash is amazing too, you like them at all?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:30 pm 

Me too - such great creepy mellow wonderful music. But then "DOA".............I've always wanted to cover that. In fact, I think I might!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:28 pm 

50's and 60's for me. I don't listen to anything from the 70's other than Zappa, Beefheart, The Misfits, The Specials, The Sex Pistols, hang on......
It's a difficult question to answer........ I think that on the outside of the popular stuff huge changes within Jazz were happening by the late 40's with Monk for example but even by the late 30's with Charlie Christian but then even with Reinhardt in the 20's....
At this point I could waffle and waffle so there's no point
In the 60's however Zappa, Hendrix, The Stones, The Small Faces and the Kinks, The Beatles etc (in absolutely no order) exploded so I'd have to go with THE 60'S!

COLOSEUM
JETHRO TULL

Fuck knows

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:33 pm 

I'm going with the 70's cause it's when music became for the first time a major influence in my life. A Lot of the bands mentioned..Bloodrock,Wishbone Ash, Frank. Listening to my Vinyl with headphones late at night was the Best! I'd like to add Alice Cooper's (I"m Eighteen) Was my anthem! And lets not forget the Great Late Tommy Bolin! WOW..The list could go on and on. Yep.. the 70's for me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:57 pm 

It is so nice to see someone else mention Bloodrock! Those first two albums are great.

Bloodrock is responsible for one of my favorite couplets in rock music:

I just wanna go home
And have myself an ice cream cone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 pm 

That's almost as good as the following from Neil Young:

Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:57 am 

madcow1515 wrote:

Bloodrock is responsible for one of my favorite couplets in rock music:

I just wanna go home
And have myself an ice cream cone

That song always reminds me of Pink Floyd, for some reason... The "Slideshow" part.

What can become of Melvin and His Egg?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 am 

I love this thread. We all have our 'best' and we have great arguments to back them. It's really hard to have any kind of objectivity because the music we love is so deeply rooted in who we are at any given time. It does seem people show the most affection for the music they listened to during their childhood or teens. It was the soundtrack of their formative years, so it's understandable. It's a generational thing.

I think there were certainly periods in modern music in which there were some significant breakthroughs. In its place in culture and commerce, its production values, the tastes of the average listener, the minds of producers and executives, and certainly the talent.

Personally, I'm most fond of the music recorded and produced from the late 60s to mid 70s. That's entirely based on my own experience of growing up when I did and having the tastes that I've cultivated. But if I remove myself from personal feelings of nostalgia and examine why this era is so attractive to some people I can think of a few factors that put things into context.

-The baby boomers. More young people, more possibilities for new thinking and fresh talent. It's that simple.
-The business of Rock. From its inception, well into the 60s, rock and roll promotion was largely a low-investment/quick-buck scam. Performers were not seen or treated as artists, but as circus acts. Paid little and often cheated out of the rights to their own music.
After record executives started realizing that rock n roll wasn't some 'flash-in-the-pan teen craze', and actually began investing in it, we started hearing some very interesting music (FZ speaks of this period in his critique of the music business, and conversely how dangerous 'modern, young, hip' record executives can be).
-The evolving of the music itself. Up to a certain point, recorded popular music stayed fairly genre-specific with little exception. C&W, Standards, Jazz, Classical, etc. Rock and roll had already begun to hybridize country, blues and jazz into something new, but there wasn't much deviation from that basic formula until artists began stretching it in new directions and incorporating other influences. Like it or not, rock music became cultivated into its own art form.
-Production Values. Artists were beginning to experiment with sounds and arrangements, putting less into playing live and creating more in the studio environment. Recording technology was already advancing rapidly, but engineers were working hard to keep up with the artists and capture it with the the latest tools at their disposal.
-Drugs. Hello. Albeit always a component with music, but the use and attitude of all those rebellious baby boomers who experimented and accepted drugs like pot, acid, heroin and cocaine was a HUGE influence on how music evolved during the 60s.

..There were some amazing things going on during the 60s-mid 70s. I think during the later 70s the music industry kind of imploded on itself, from excess and simple bad taste. Seriously, it became too industrialized. Of course there have been new waves of talent and some wonderful music over the last few decades. There will always be mavericks and brilliant new talent that puts the listening public on its collective ear, but more and more of what's marketed to us is increasingly derivative and pop culture is consuming itself at an alarming rate these days.

What is most exciting about what's going on right now musically?

-Stylistically, all bets are off and anything goes. We're living in a global culture who's popular music draws from an increasingly wider number of other cultures, genres, and even eras.
Are you an artist who's into post industrial folk-thrash? ..You have an audience.
Are you a retro 60s chanteuse with a horn section? ..You have an audience.
The average music listener/record consumer is more sophisticated than they used to be. There is simply more in the well from which to draw.

-The tools to compose, create, record, produce and distribute recorded music have never been cheaper or more accessible. The resources are there. All that's required now is the creativity, vision and talent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:49 pm 

the 1920's - Stravinsky and Varese.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:17 pm 

After 1975 most music stinks. And after 1980 I even stopped bying music.
The nineties it came back, but still it's not much.
I know I'm an oldtimer, but nothing beats Zappa, Beatles, Stones, LedZep, Free, Van Morisson and a lot of others.
But don't tell me the eighties was a musical era. Madonna, Prince, Van Halen, Michael Jackson, U2, Franky goes to Hollywood, House, etc I hate this sort of music!
It's plastic music, it has no feel. It's not rock & Roll.

I apologize to everybody who was in their teens in the eighties. Your parents made a failure.

Greetings

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:21 pm 

Hades wrote:
After 1975 most music stinks. And after 1980 I even stopped bying music.
The nineties it came back, but still it's not much.
I know I'm an oldtimer, but nothing beats Zappa, Beatles, Stones, LedZep, Free, Van Morisson and a lot of others.
But don't tell me the eighties was a musical era. Madonna, Prince, Van Halen, Michael Jackson, U2, Franky goes to Hollywood, House, etc I hate this sort of music!
It's plastic music, it has no feel. It's not rock & Roll.

I apologize to everybody who was in their teens in the eighties. Your parents made a failure.

Greetings

Harry

No offense but your statement makes no sense to me. The bands you listed weren't in their teens in the eighties. They were in their teens in the 70s and are probably closer to your age..... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:51 pm 

THIS ONE.
I am here and you are now, what time could be a better time for music than the time we are able to listen to it?

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:30 pm 

Quote:
No offense but your statement makes no sense to me. The bands you listed weren't in their teens in the eighties. They were in their teens in the 70s and are probably closer to your age..... :roll:

I meant to say that the kids who were in their teens in the eighties had to listen to the shit that was called music in the eighties. It was not their fault that they had to grow up in the wrong era.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
BBP wrote:

You hit it on the head, I saw a commercial the other day to learn to be a graphic artist on the computer at a trade school and they basically said you don't even need talent to be good.
Holy crap, talentless artists!
:shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:07 pm 

Hades wrote:
Quote:

I meant to say that the kids who were in their teens in the eighties had to listen to the shit that was called music in the eighties. It was not their fault that they had to grow up in the wrong era.

I was in my teens in the eighties and most of what I listened to was 70s music. In my opinion all the great bands of the 70s sold out in the 80s and MTV really killed it. Music became much more about image and crappy bands with lame hair and stupid videos made money while having very little talent. Today is also a good time though as home recording equipment has become very powerful to the point that for a couple thousand dollars a very "high quality" sounding album can be produced. Music is always a reflection of the hardware and the tools are so powerful today I think some really good things are yet to come. .02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:42 am 

for a couple thousand dollars you can get good cables but u still need equipment :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:34 am 

If you're spending a couple thousand dollars on cables for home recording equipment...uh :roll:
Take a look at some of the consumer gear and software. Some great stuff. For a couple thousand you can get an interface, a few mics, preamps, and some software...everything you need to record a really good recording (this is what I do I and have spent less than 5k total) much better than could be achieved in previous decades and at a fraction of cost.