Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 am 

First, the Flames had been in the league for 17 years (not 9) when they won the Cup in 1989 (beating the Blackhawks in the Conference Final), compared to the Blackhawks who have not won a championship since 1961 (that's 48 years and counting).

You will also note that Mike Keenan and Darryl Sutter were Blackhawk coaches the last time the team even APPEARED in a Stanley Cup Final, so I'm not sure what your point is, other than the Flames coaches and management have had success in the past, unlike Joel Quenneville, who has never coached a team past the second round.

Finally, it's spelled H-O-C-K-E-Y.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
First, the Flames had been in the league for 17 years (not 9) when they won the Cup in 1989 (beating the Blackhawks in the Conference Final), compared to the Blackhawks who have not won a championship since 1961 (that's 48 years and counting).

You will also note that Mike Keenan and Darryl Sutter were Blackhawk coaches the last time the team even APPEARED in a Stanley Cup Final, so I'm not sure what your point is, other than the Flames coaches and management have had success in the past, unlike Joel Quenneville, who has never coached a team past the second round.

Finally, it's spelled H-O-C-K-E-Y.

It was meant as Calgary won being in the league only 9 years, according to the teams web-site. Secondly, I respect Keenan and Sutter for being involved with the Blackhawks.....Calgary is just getting better because of that, and sticky keys was the mis-spelling. Good luck to your Atlanta Flames.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:33 am 

Blackhawks win!! 5-1 They kicked Calgary's ASS!!!! Now one more and they can put those hacks on the Golf Course where they belong. They outshot Calgary 15-3 in the first period, Total domination!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:38 pm 

Blackhawks deserved to win last night but have won nothing yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 pm 

I agree! Back to Calgary hopefully with the same game plan. Been a great series, The Hawks have more talent.. But can't get caught up in the physical shit! If they can't get it done in Calgary.. Game #7 will be fucking awesome back in Chicago!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:46 am 

Image Hawks Win Series 4-2..Alrighty Then!! Da Hawks kicked ass again.. Goal tending was Awesome. They finally make it to the second round, Its been over a decade!!! Vancouver is next!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:51 am 

Well, we had quite a few injuries but I hope that was the last time I see Todd Bertuzzi in a Flames uniform.

Congratulations, I don't see why the Blackhawks can't take out the Canucks as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:22 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Well, we had quite a few injuries but I hope that was the last time I see Todd Bertuzzi in a Flames uniform.

Congratulations, I don't see why the Blackhawks can't take out the Canucks as well.

No Offense twenty, but I think the Flames were fucked by Keenan. He did the same thing in Chicago, and lost all the respect of his players. You can be hard nosed, but don't make your goalie feel like an idiot. Let Darryl coach..he was a hell of a hockey player! I seen him score a goal off his brain bucket once..amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:05 am 

The front page of both Calgary newspapers today contain the phrases 'Fire Keenan!' and 'Keenan Must Go!'. I couldn't agree more. The team was not prepared to play late in the season and especially in Game 5 and that is the responsibility of the coach.

Darryl Sutter has said he's too busy as G.M. to coach but the hot (and unsubstantiated) rumor is that Brent Sutter is tired of coaching in New Jersey and would like to move back to Alberta. The more Sutters the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to see the Hawks and Wings play in the conference final. I think the Canucks are soft and will get beaten in 5 or 6 games.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:15 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
The front page of both Calgary newspapers today contain the phrases 'Fire Keenan!' and 'Keenan Must Go!'. I couldn't agree more. The team was not prepared to play late in the season and especially in Game 5 and that is the responsibility of the coach.

Darryl Sutter has said he's too busy as G.M. to coach but the hot (and unsubstantiated) rumor is that Brent Sutter is tired of coaching in New Jersey and would like to move back to Alberta. The more Sutters the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to see the Hawks and Wings play in the conference final. I think the Canucks are soft and will get beaten in 5 or 6 games.

I'm with you Twenty on this one. Those Sutter's are an unbelievable hockey family. We have a play by play guy here once comment on what it would be like to grab the last pork chop at the Sutter family dinner table.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:53 pm 

It always comes down to the coach.. If the team fails.. See ya later! Look what happened in Chicago. Hell the season just got started, and Savard was out! The problem with Savard was he got respect as a player, Not as a coach.. He tried to be everyone's friend. I actually liked Keenan when he was in Chicago..He was tough and he had a great record,He didn't give a fuck who you were. You don't perform you sat! But the players(Not all) Didn't like him. With all these million dollar contracts that exists for players, Seems that you have to handle things different. I don't agree with that, But I guess it's easier to get rid of one coach than a hand full of players. But shit happens...Back to the Hawks I think their gonna have a tough time with Vancouver in the start..Until they figure Vancouver's game plan, Just like they did with Calgary. Then it's over! They have to stay healthy and not make stupid penalty's They have a ton of talent and have to spread that out..That's what made them win in the first series.. Everyone contributed!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:49 am 

Agree about Savy, but not about Keenan, but what do I know. Other teams have used him as a coach, and like you said, his record is pretty good. I also agree with the Canucks giving the Hawks a bad time, but it is playoffs, and ya got to play well or you go nowhere. Remember in '92' when they played the Penguins in the finals, and got smoked! :shock:
But this is a different team, and we all seen what they can do....Go You Blackhawks!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:03 pm 

After watching the game last night, I am no longer worried. I think the Hawks will do well in this series, as they will tomorrow night also! Go get Em' Hawks! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 pm 

Byron wrote:
After watching the game last night, I am no longer worried. I think the Hawks will do well in this series, as they will tomorrow night also! Go get Em' Hawks! :twisted:

well, excuse me, blackhawks fans, but how about the capitals?
they were under 3-1 against the new york rangers, and turned it around to a 4-3 victory.
pretty good, huh?

and now, the caps are up against the penguins...
maybe the hawks and the caps will play the next round...? 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:16 pm 

The Hawks are on a roll! Remember Vancouver swept St. Louis And the Hawks just handed them their lunch at Home!. Down 2-0.. Came back and smoked'em 6-3 What a game for the hawks. Now they got home ice advantage. I said this earlier...Keep the penalties in check and out skate your opponents. Blackhawks have tremendous depth and it should take them a long way! Can't wait for next game in Chicago.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:46 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Byron wrote:

they were under 3-1 against the new york rangers, and turned it around to a 4-3 victory.
pretty good, huh?

Hey Lumpy! I seen that the Capitals are doing well. Should be a good series. Pens are pretty tough though. The Hawks and Caps could meet for Lord Stanley's Cup!
I really enjoyed last night's Blackhawk game! :D What a comeback again for the kids! :mrgreen: Smack those Canucks in the mouth!
Go Hawks and I guess go Caps!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 am 

We have got to stay away from those stupid penalties just as Poodle said, or we are going to be up shits creek! Come on Hawks, and play your game! You are faster and have more talent them the Canucks...Listen to me going on and on....wishing for a win. Sound like a kid in grade school! Good luck Blackhawks and everyone is proud to be a Chicago Blackhawk fan! 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:41 am 

What a win for the Hawks.. A nail biter for me! I yelled so loud when they scored in overtime..That the dog jumped off the bed. Now back to Vancouver and kick some ass! Can't Wait.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:20 am 

Byron wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Byron wrote:

pretty good, huh?

Hey Lumpy! I seen that the Capitals are doing well. Should be a good series. Pens are pretty tough though. The Hawks and Caps could meet for Lord Stanley's Cup!
I really enjoyed last night's Blackhawk game! :D What a comeback again for the kids! :mrgreen: Smack those Canucks in the mouth!
Go Hawks and I guess go Caps!

I hope not go PENNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:27 pm 

Da Hawks play tonight..Just a couple of hrs away. Go Hawks!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:42 am 

Tonight should be the Blackhawks last time they have to play Vancouver till next season! Now it will be on to the conference finals.. And it looking like it's going to be against Detroit! Always said.. If the Hawks are going to win the Stanley Cup you gotta go thru Detroit. They gotta win tonight...Go Hawks! My guess is 4-2 Hawks

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:34 pm 

So they lose 5-2. I think we learn from every loss, and we will be a better team come Tuesday. Nice guess on the last game Poodle! Go Hawks and beat the Wings and make Babcock loose some of that nasty hair. Not a big Detroit fan at all!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:43 pm 

Sunday's game was better than the score dictated.. Tonight's game should be close..Hawks can't go down to Detroit two game's if their going to win this series.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 pm 

Byron wrote:
Not a big Detroit fan at all!

what you got against the detroit red swedes?! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:37 pm 

I would hope a couple of wins! That would be great, and not unlikely as it seems. Sorry about the Caps Lumpy. I would say Fridays game is going to be 3-1 Hawks!