Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: GZ on FZ Legacy on NPR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 3151
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =102907874

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2879
Location: Chicago, sort of.
This is good because NPR is major publicity in the U.S. It's also good because it features not only Gail, but also Andre Cholmondelay, Ike Willis and Paul Green talking about playing the music. Worth a listen. :)

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
I noticed how Gail contradicts herself when she first says she doesn't care who plays Frank's music as long as they pay royalties to the ZFT then later she says she doesn't want bands playing "wretched" versions of the music. Both statements could be true though, I suppose. It seems a shame really. P/O, Paul Green, Muffin Men, etc. are all doing what they do because they have a great love and respect for the music and the man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: re: gz on fz on npr
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9601
decent, neutral presentation of the facts, thanks for posting this


nice little bonus on the npr site:
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: re: gz on fz on npr
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:50 am
Posts: 807
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
decent, neutral presentation of the facts, thanks for posting this


nice little bonus on the npr site:
Image

_________________
The fun hasn't beginned yet, uh, later on apparently The Mothers are gonna hand out the bingo cards and everything, you know


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:05 pm
Posts: 570
Location: Chicago,Il.
NPR site has taken down two songs they were givin permision to stream... what were they? and again WTF!

_________________
What would Zappa say?....... http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/thepoodlebites


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2351
Location: Europe
Good article. Very balanced.

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:42 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7051
Location: exile
HJ wrote:
Good article [radio show]. Very balanced.

yep. I thought so too.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2351
Location: Europe
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
HJ wrote:
Good article [radio show]. Very balanced.

yep. I thought so too.

I just read it. Couldn't get the sound working...

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:00 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7051
Location: exile
HJ wrote:
I just read it. Couldn't get the sound working...

I thought so, since you referred to it as an article. you didn't miss much, though.
the text had most of the audio.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:05 pm
Posts: 3
KillUgly wrote:
I noticed how Gail contradicts herself when she first says she doesn't care who plays Frank's music as long as they pay royalties to the ZFT then later she says she doesn't want bands playing "wretched" versions of the music. Both statements could be true though, I suppose.

I agree on the contradiction.
Can't really understand how both statements can coexist though...
Unless you take the second statement as some sort of personal preference that has no relevance whatsoever to any type of physical or legal action.
As in: "I really hope they do it right but if they can't - that's fine as long as they pay the royalties"....
The way I see it, either you're in it for the money or you're genuinely concerned with the composer's intent.
And if it is the latter - if you say "Screw the royalties. Anyone will be allowed to play it as long as they do it right" - then who's going to be the judge of that?
Who will decide which performers are good enough to play Franks music? Frank is not with us anymore, he went on you know so who is qualified to do this in his name? Who will act as Central Scrutinizer and decide who can or can't play the music?
I have a lot of Love for Gail and her family but I think she is wrong and has been wrong for the longest of time in her conduct regarding Frank's legacy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:06 pm
Posts: 1992
Location: Canada
When i hear a cover of a song i dont like when it is done like the original, it is fun to hear a rock song covered in Jazz or blues etc...when i hear a zappa cover it's always sound like fake because it is not a real zappa. I like a song covered with an oposite music style. Just imagine a doo-hop song done in very heavy metal style, or a Jazz-rock one in samba. :mrgreen:

Sorry for my bad english.

_________________
'N then I might just Jump back on An' ride Like a cowboy Into the dawn to Montana


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 69
I respect Gail for all she is doing to keep the fans of Frank's music happy. However, she needs to realize that someday she isn't going to be on the planet anymore, and somebody is going to want to hear Frank's music played live, which is where it sounds the best. Dweezil could get hit by a bus, and then who would we have left?

I say the more bands playing the music of FZ the better. Music is the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:07 am
Posts: 1374
Location: Paris, France
hull534 wrote:
However, she needs to realize that someday she isn't going to be on the planet anymore, and somebody is going to want to hear Frank's music played live, which is where it sounds the best. Dweezil could get hit by a bus, and then who would we have left?

I fear this day when the lady is gone and the heirs fight against each other to get the best of the deal.
Then we might enter a real 'ice age'.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wakawazooinregalia' and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group