Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 am 

tweezers wrote:
I am from NJ and know how bad Camden is, bummer, and maybe I have to reconsider my travel plans....

could it really be that bad? there will be a large number of people there (I hope). Safety in numbers, right? Don't cancel your plans is all I'm saying!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 am 

Oh, I will likely end up going, I guess I am just a complainer....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:09 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
could it really be that bad? there will be a large number of people there (I hope). Safety in numbers, right? Don't cancel your plans is all I'm saying!

As a former Baltimorian I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't stay around there either. We're cabbing it from Towson. It's a nice area and there are some decent hotels that can be pricelined pretty reasonably.

Google Street View in front of the library:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 25,,0,1.95

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:27 pm 

MercyB wrote:
All the specific details are here...

http://www.clearpathentertainment.com/#/Zappa/

OMG THANK YOU :D ...i am lucky enough to live near Baltimore but was going crazy trying to figure out the specifics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 pm 

My son and I are leaving in the morning. We'll be heading to NJ and then drive down to Baltimore Sunday morning. Maybe a day trip to NYC on Saturday. It should be fun! We'll both be wearing our "NO-D'' glasses for the dedication.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:28 pm 

Greyhound is way too much, dammit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:55 am 

Quote:
Sunday is “Frank Zappa Day” in Baltimore, the city where the late musician was born. Zappa is being honored for his music and, on the 25th anniversary of his testimony in Congress against music censorship, for his defense of First Amendment rights. We talk with Zappa’s widow, Gail Zappa, about her late husband’s legacy

http://www.hereandnow.org/2010/09/rundo ... lbroadcast

scroll to bottom of page or click listen live and scroll to 32:10 of broadcast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:18 pm 

Frank Zappa Day Eve! Frank Zappa Day Eve!!

I only learned of this event this week so I had some schedual shufflin' to do 'cause I sure don't want to know how it would feel to miss celebrating the only Frank Zappa Day we'll ever see with y'all!

It's like an honorary memorial and to be able to share it with Gail and Frank's kids after all thes years is way cool!

See y'all tomorrow

Happy Frank Zappa Day Eve !!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:42 pm 

certainly the best free show ive ever seen :D
this was a good day. a very good day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:51 pm 

Cool, I really wish I had been there. If there are any TV news reports or similar please post up some links.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:27 pm 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
Cool, I really wish I had been there. If there are any TV news reports or similar please post up some links.

i havnt found anything in the way of video news coverage of today or anything YET, but ill be sure to continue looking periodically. there are some videos on this channel of the unveiling of the Frank Zappa Way sign, not that great of quality but its all that seems to be up so far =/ http://www.youtube.com/user/BaltimoreMediaBlog#p/u

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:57 am 

Great time had by all. I made this little slide show of the event. Hope it's OK to post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGMhWOI0bg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:19 am 

We had a great time. The dedication and ZPZ was fantastic! They had giant dental floss containers hanging from the trees! It's so refreshing to be with other Zappa fans. Thanks again Zappa Family!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:37 pm 

Gail's "talk" was cool. She was joined on the Creative Arts Alliance's preformance stage by her kids and a moderator, who, when he asked Gail about Koran burning, was dismissed by all and the audience participation part of the program was in full swing.
Some of the questions were personal and it was clear that the Zappa family love and miss dad...
Gail sez that Frank's lesson for us is: pay attention to yourself and then do somthing about what it is that you believe in.
Some tidbits;
Frank loved Christmas Trees. Every Christmas they had trees in many different rooms of their home often until May.
The Song Trying To Grow A Chin is in response to a 7-year-old Ahmet bicycle accident. Ahmet went head-over heels over handlebars and badly bloodied his chin. Gail was not home. Frank comforted Ahmet with "Don't you think you should stop crying" and "Do you want a beer". The whole family thought this story hilarious.
Divas emotional "I'm so glad you all love my dad" and Dweezils emotion during the long bagpipe march showed how touched they all are by our devotion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:49 pm 

Sounds really nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:57 pm 

If anyone has a spare copy of the published programme which I have seen in photo's of the event please get in touch. I have some photo's of the 1995 event, and even the Sculptor's studio with the original clay model I can print off the negatives in exchange. I really wish I was there, but getting a Visa to the USA was going to take too long a time. How I badly miscalculated this minor detail! When in 1995 I went to Lithuania; my sister showed me a 30 word column in the UK Guardian newspaper on the day before I caught a plane to Lithuania from LHR.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:14 pm 

New Member post about the event: http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20050

but mostly a link to some vids and audio:

http://zappilla.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:50 pm 

The stage at the unvailing was full of dignitaries in addition to Gail, Ahmet , Dweezil and Diva. The mayor of Baltimore, the mayor of the town in Lithuania where the original statue is, the rich lithuianians who commisssioned the statues and some Baltimore Library folk. During Gail's speech she was elouquently thanking the mayor and the mayor of Baltimore was nodding and sorta holding up her hands in a "it was nothing" sorta way but when the Mayor of Baltimore realized that Gail was elouquently thanking the mayor from Lilthuania she had to stop her bravado. It was a hoot....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:33 pm 

bugler wrote:
Great time had by all. I made this little slide show of the event. Hope it's OK to post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGMhWOI0bg

Fantastic! Thank you very much for posting this! :D

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 pm 

steve'n'jerry wrote:
Divas emotional "I'm so glad you all love my dad" and Dweezils emotion during the long bagpipe march showed how touched they all are by our devotion.

i will admit, i got a little choked up when Diva said that....and where was Moon?????
i had an awesome day, the concert was great...but Frank would think were all crazy, a statue?? i can only imagine what his response would be to that :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:51 am 

The Dental Floss trees, they only grow on Frank Zappa Way apparently.
My son and I in our "NO-D" glasses. A bunch of people liked our glasses and took our picture or gave us the thumbs up. Thanks to one nice fan, who took this picture for us. I'm pretty sure Diva saw us, smiled and took our picture from her seat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:09 am 

http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pressrelease&o=4283

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

Last edited by The Idiot Bastard on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:37 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC2X8DyM0vc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 pm 

It almost fell like you where there :!:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:09 pm 

Ah, I thought Moon was there too, guess not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next