Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:01 pm 

Hey all!

Shameless promo time! Just a quick note to let anyone who would care about such things know:

My first two books from the "Recordings Of FZ" series (Hungry Freaks Daddy & Strictly Genteel) have been reissued commercially by SPB Publishing and are now available. They are in B&W, but really beautiful looking. HFD was around for a while in a version printed by Booksurge. Strictly is new (but not revised). Soon I will be issuing Blessed Relief in that form as well.

A new version of the Supplement, rewritten and Phil, will be coming soon as well :-)

The books will be available everywhere soon (if I can get the buyers at the chain stores to stock 'em!) but for now you can have a look at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Freaks-Daddy-Recordings-Invention/dp/1419664433/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267476878&sr=1-9

and

http://www.amazon.com/Strictly-Genteel-Recordings-Frank-1970-1971/dp/1450573398/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267476878&sr=1-10

Should anyone like these, I do have some copies here that I am selling for $20 each (cheaper than Amazon) which will be personally inscribed for you. You can email me at moi1969@snet.net if you'd like one of these.

Soon I will have a new site as well that gives me greater control over updates.

Thanks as always for supporting these efforts guys! Zappacheers!
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:41 pm 

Hello Scott, you may know the answer to this. On that disc which FZ prepared for that ill fated 10 LP project back in 1970 which was subsequently bootlegged as Necessity is ... where does that guitar solo come from after JCB announces that he has a Red set of drums?

I understand that that bootleg came from an acetate that was found in the mid to late 1970's.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:00 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
Hello Scott, you may know the answer to this. On that disc which FZ prepared for that ill fated 10 LP project back in 1970 which was subsequently bootlegged as Necessity is ... where does that guitar solo come from after JCB announces that he has a Red set of drums?

I understand that that bootleg came from an acetate that was found in the mid to late 1970's.

Wow dpd, I'm so sorry I missed this! Hopefully it's not too late to chip in. From my Supplement book:

2. (Instrumental--title unknown)
A guitar solo, likely recorded in 1969 and subsequently remaining unreleased
officially. Judging by the vamp this is probably an extract from a performance of
"The String Quartet".

Listening closely to it, it sounds as if it was recorded at The Factory in The Bronx, NY February 13, 1969. It has that same "boxy" sound to it, to me, that you can hear in the officially released material from this show.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:09 am 

Yes it does. I will investigate further. 'Sounds like this' is probably my favourite solo as although it is improvised, FZ is actually composing on the spot superbly - it has a form and structure, as well as the Mothers playing beautifully behind him. Reddimot of Youtube fame reckon's it may be from Hartford CT.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:06 am 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
Yes it does. I will investigate further. 'Sounds like this' is probably my favourite solo as although it is improvised, FZ is actually composing on the spot superbly - it has a form and structure, as well as the Mothers playing beautifully behind him. Reddimot of Youtube fame reckon's it may be from Hartford CT.

You're totally right, dip. It is a superb piece of on-the-spot composition. I think Reddimot may be going by the fact that much of the rest of that side of the LP is from the Ballroom in Stratford, CT--not Hartford as it was originally thought (the MOI didn't play Hartford on that tour). Very hard to say for sure of course. Of course the appearance of the Artisan acetate throws all of the various theories up in the air--and also makes my Supplement book out of date :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:55 pm 

I didn't know about the relevance of Artisan Acetate. I have SEEN it before but not connected the facts. The acetate I referred to came from another source. He borrowed it in 1978. It could well be that this is the same source being RJ in Hal's blog. Has RJ allowed the contents of the disc to be taken and is now on hard drives around the world? If so I would like to hear it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:22 pm 

Yes indeed! The first acetate--known as the "Columbia Test Pressing"--has been making the bootleg rounds since at least 1978 when it was issued on vinyl by the Mud Shark bootleg label on the Rustic Protrusion bootleg (with the addition of "Hey Nelda" which was added by the bootleggers and is not part of the acetate). The Artisan acetate has indeed surfaced this year and is available out there in cyberville. It's really fascinating--the most important document we have of the 12 LP set.

There is also the Weasel Music one-sided acetate, which is a must-have if you don't have it :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:32 pm 

Could this be the same ?

As for "1 of 9 Mothers" ... I am fortunate to have gotten into Zappa through a couple of the original BIG '60s Mothers freaks, Rob and Waldo of Mother People magazine. Through them I've learned much great stuff ... as you know, the tape of Hartford '69 is actually an excerpt from side two of what we used to call the "unreleased LP". This was an acetate given to one of the members of the original Mothers, who allowed it to be taped (for an exorbitant fee of course - stories of this band member's money problems are legend! Know who I'm talking about now?) by the producers of the old Mud Shark bootleg label, who released it as Necessity Is ... / Rustic Protrusion in 1979 or so. This bootleg has been copied as We Are the Mothers & This Is What We Sound Like (1985). The acetate label reads "1 Of 9 Mothers" as it was the first disc of the unreleased legit 9-LP box The History & Collected Improvisations of the Mothers of Invention which was to be sold through the Playboy Record Club (!!) in late 1969. Thus, while parts of the tape ("skweezit") come from Hartford, I'm not sure it all does. It sounds definately studio-overdubbed too. Incidentally, according to Rob, on the bootlegs, the sides are reversed. Side one of "1 Of 9 Mothers" begins with "Lost in a Whirlpool"; side two ends with "Igor's Boogie".

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/b ... ecessityis

Good to see ya , Scott :D