Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:30 am 

last night i went on a Lady gaga concert with my girlfriend.
convince me how frank isnt rolling in his grave because of that :mrgreen:

acutally that concert gave me an opportunity to figure out the whole deal about her...
so from what i've could understand, the reason she has so many fans is because she's a "freak"/"a monster" and she's couraging all those kinds out there who are the part of this weird mainstreet fashion, where bisexuality is normal, where guys wearing high heals are cool etc... all the stuff glam rock did, but worse...
umm, so yeah, basicly, someone saw an unused market segmet of all those "weirdos" and gave them a project called lady gaga...

your oppinions?

PS the concert wasnt that bad, i've enjoyed the concept of the show... it's like a wannabe musical - it has a story, but the songs dont fit in the best way (as far the story line goes)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:11 am 

I have never really understood the hype. But I haven't taken time to listen carefully.

But don't call this a confession: We are luckily not on earth to like what Frank Zappa liked (he liked quite little within the popular genre, so this could be a depressing task :-) ). Good that the show was ok. She got great reviews from the recent Denmark performance from critics I respect a lot. So maybe she has something.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 am 

Dale Bozzio got it right the first time with Missing Persons.

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 am 

So what if somebody here liked Lady Gaga? I don't think there would be too many crossover fans.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:52 am 

Actually I saw her perform some songs on TV and she is talented when she gets away from her more commercial side (she did an American Classic and it was very good), a friend of my daughter saw her (I believe this same tour) in Boston and said the whole concept of the show was good as well as the music. I also saw a some background on her career and she apparently worked hard to get things going (all pre-glitz) and then someone saw and said we can package this and make money and as they say the rest is history. I can't hold the fact that she went with what would make her a commercial success, let’s hope when the hype dies down some she shows us what she really has.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:24 am 

Plook wrote:
Actually I saw her perform some songs on TV and she is talented when she gets away from her more commercial side (she did an American Classic and it was very good), a friend of my daughter saw her (I believe this same tour) in Boston and said the whole concept of the show was good as well as the music. I also saw a some background on her career and she apparently worked hard to get things going (all pre-glitz) and then someone saw and said we can package this and make money and as they say the rest is history. I can't hold the fact that she went with what would make her a commercial success, let’s hope when the hype dies down some she shows us what she really has.

great post

yeah, she played 2 balads on piano (speachless and you & I - new song), and she has the voice and talent... she mentioned that most of her new album will be ballad songs, so i'm looking foward how everyone will react to that, cause from what I saw last night, audience was confused with new song, which is basicly a rock balad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWmgZowpIWE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am 

I really don't like her songs: they're too simple, and since if you have 200 tracks available you might as well use them, her music has gotten crowded, almost claustrophobic.

She seems like a puppet to me. I hate that kind of packages. It's like they discovered the virgin doesn't work anymore, the slut doesn't work anymore, the madwoman doesn't work anymore, so let's try to wrap up this freak and sell it to kids with more money than they can deal with. It's why I'm glad unsigned (and therefore unpackaged) artists seem to do so well around here. Take Kyteman or Caro Emerald.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:00 pm 

Please.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:18 pm 

This year's model. Madonna, Britney, GaGa, whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 am 

I personnally enjoy Katty Perry, besides being easy on the eyes...she has a real catchy top 40 sound, that goes well at parties and social gatherings or just drivin at the beach on a sunny day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 am 

Plook wrote:
I personnally enjoy Katty Perry, besides being easy on the eyes...she has a real catchy top 40 sound, that goes well at parties and social gatherings or just drivin at the beach on a sunny day.

My favorite young diva pop star is Christina Aguilera. I think she can really belt it out, plus like Katy, not too tough to look at.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 am 

I heard a song that wasn't too bad by Pink. But mostly I can't listen to recent music.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:24 am 

Plook wrote:

I guess you are strictly commercial.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:01 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Plook wrote:

I guess you are strictly commercial.

Hardly, but there is a time and a place for everything in a full well rounded life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:40 am 

She's only the new Madonna who is pushed by the money system cuz they need fresh meat to bring new money :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:01 pm 

Zut_boF wrote:
She's only the new Madonna who is pushed by the money system cuz they need fresh meat to bring new money :roll:

Oh hell yes. Bands are only good if they aren't making any money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:21 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Zut_boF wrote:

Oh hell yes. Bands are only good if they aren't making any money.

truth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:11 pm 

I do the same thing of other people they do to me when they talk shit about Zappa and they never listen any of his music.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:42 pm 

Hey I like Katty Perry, we all have are flaws...at least mine looks hot... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:12 pm 

Plook wrote:
Hey I like Katty Perry, we all have are flaws...at least mine looks hot... :wink:

Did you see her when she was on SNL recently? She was quite impressive. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 am 

Lady GAGA (whom my 14 yr old daughter finds "just weird"), is not in Madonna's league. She does remind me of a Nina Hagen type Manga caracter.
In a few months we won't remember who she was...or care...the're will be the new thing to watch or hear....3D movies anyone??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:14 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Lady GAGA (whom my 14 yr old daughter finds "just weird"), is not in Madonna's league. She does remind me of a Nina Hagen type Manga caracter.
In a few months we won't remember who she was...or care...the're will be the new thing to watch or hear....3D movies anyone??

Once you get past the trappings lady Gaga is actually very talented whether she ruins her career by showing that she has range (solid work just will not sell big in most cases) or if she is replaced by a new flavor, she should have some staying power...of course a meltdown of some sort ala Amy or Lindsy could put a fork in her, but she hasn't had any of those problems. I think the worst we can say about her is her clothing and since when do Zappa fans care about which Boa you wear???

:?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:14 am 

That's a load of crap she sucks as does her music my god man.... what other trite commercial bull shit do you waist your time listening to?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
That's a load of crap she sucks as does her music my god man.... what other trite commercial bull shit do you waist your time listening to?

Yeah man! Don't listen to what you like!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:55 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Wow I think we struck a cord, thou protestith to much...I believe we have a closeted Gaga, who most likely fits out in full Gaga gear and lips sincs in the mirror...not that there is anything wrong with it, but typically those who yell the loudest are the deepest in the closet. Come now Bravo we except your inner Gaga, were Zappa fans anything goes... :wink: