Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:00 pm 

3 charts are up: Cheepnis, Son of Orange County and More Trouble Every Day. Enjoy.

http://www.gotobugler.com

(click "Music" then "Transcriptions")

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 pm 

added Pygmy Twylyte today.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:25 am 

Hey, great job. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Hey, great job. Thanks!

Thanks! Echidna's Arf is up now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 am 

Awesome! Thanks bugler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:20 am 

Thanks man, that's some good stuff there!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:23 am 

Penguin in Bondage is now up.

A few thoughts as I transcribed this piece and Enchinda's Arf:

Frank must have been a very patient man. I was playing through these charts and was reminded what happens to musicians as they attempt to learn a new piece of music they don't quite understand. The nervous joking and laughter and their inabaility to get the part right the first time - which I imagine must have been rather annoying to a composer who already knows how difficult this music is to play - "stop wasting my time and play the part - we go on tour tomorrow" is something that woud be going through my mind if I were in Frank's position (and I have been, but not at THAT level).

Penguin was particularly challenging to transcribe because the players couldn't get the meter right the first time around. Only by listening to later verses was I able to determine a straight 4/4 meter attributed to the opening few bars.

This was a DIFFICULT track for Frank to produce. There is actually a vocal track from some other performance bleeding into the mix at a very low level during bars 70-71 (use headphones). Is this "news" or have I been cooped up here too long?

After transcribing Enchina's Arf, I have a new found respect for the sax work of Napolean Murphy Brock. Most guys are judged by who they have played with, you know, the resume. NMB was a nobody before he played with Frank and he "hasn't done anything but play FZ's music in other bands since he left the band". That might cause more than a few musicians to say "well, shit, he ain't played with nobody 'cept Zappa." Yet, I wonder how many other players could cut the part? NMB has EXCELLENT technique and IMO, is one of the best sax players out there!

The great thing about Frank's music is that no matter how long you listen to a particular song - for me sometimes 30 years, there's always something "new and interesting" to hear. THAT is music.

Finally, I heard Gail speak in Baltimore and she said Frank and Beefheart would sit around discussing "the perfect note" and their quest to play "it". I think the perfect note can be found in the wah-wah solo, last 2 measures. Sends chills up my spine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 pm 

Hey all.........

Found a few errors (some are embaraskin') while playing these charts along with the records. Most were software glitches or transposition errors I failed to note the first time around. Nobody has complained, but that could mean 1 of 2 things...................heh heh.

Anyway, Doncha Ever Wash That Thing is still simmering in the oven as I have had a few other things to attend to. Should be cooked in a week or 2....All the rest of the charts have been updated with corrections. There may be 1 or 2 more needed, so don't be shy about voicing your opinions ala Cleon. (I still have no idea whatthefuckhestalikingabout....)

Good news is this: I think Dweezil saw these charts. His sec'tary sent me an email & I was invited to his boot camp, but as of now, I "Can't afford no shoes....."

Next year?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 pm 

Oh my gosh, this sounds so exciting, doesn't it? Cleon's going to turn a tint of tealish, aquamarine, emeraldish fresh ripe green lemonade with the brilliant British breakfast. :smurf: eh, exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:29 pm 

Mondstar wrote:
Oh my gosh, this sounds so exciting, doesn't it? Cleon's going to turn a tint of tealish, aquamarine, emeraldish fresh ripe green lemonade with the brilliant British breakfast. :smurf: eh, exactly.

havin' a bad day??????????

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 pm 

How nice of you of asking, not quite sure yet. Tell you when the SS Boomerang of the High C has come round the Cape Horn and the captain stops talking with the fish. Stay tuna.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 pm 

Mondstar wrote:
How nice of you of asking, not quite sure yet. Tell you when the SS Boomerang of the High C has come round the Cape Horn and the captain stops talking with the fish. Stay tuna.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm 

kay, catch ya t'morra in Aka Pella, Mechiko. aye.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:50 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHrFUDfy ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHrFUDfynOU&feature=related

One of my former employees played in that band. They're great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:40 pm 

Band? Ouch no woodwinds here! that there is a drum and bugle corps.