Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:05 am 

The veteran recording engineer and seven-time grammy winner Roger Nichols lost his battle with pancreatic cancer and passed away April 9th at age 66. Though not a household name, you've undoubtedly heard at least one album he did the sound for. Some of the artists he engineered recordings for were Stevie Wonder, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Frank Zappa, Donald Fagen, John Denver, the Beach Boys, Crosby Stills & Nash, Al Di Meola, Roy Orbison, Andy Laverne, Plácido Domingo, Gloria Estefan, Diana Ross, Rickie Lee Jones, Kenny Loggins, Mark Knopfler, Michael McDonald, and Toots Thielemans, among others. He also invented the first functional drum sampling machine WENDL (.pdf file), first used on the 1979 "Gaucho" album. He is likely best known for the amazing pristine sound he achieved for every album done by Mssrs. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, aka Steely Dan. He was a giant in his field, a real innovator, and it is a sad loss for the industry.

Bye Roger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:04 am 

A sad loss.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:59 am 

Your right I did not know of him but in some way he influenced me by being involved in so many musicians work on that list that I have heard. The fact that people influence your life that you never know is not lost on me since my work on the internet backbone means that almost everyone I meet (if they use the internet) most likely has had their traffic use equipment I have helped build, I am very proud of that fact.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 pm 

HI,

It's really nice to see someone paying a tribute to a recording engineer!

All too often, these people are more responsible for a band discovering their sound and abilities than anything else, and the distinctive touches usually disappear when that person is no longer involved with the artist.

My compliments and I wish his family the very best ... we need really good and strong engineers to help develop the music a lot more, away from this pre-fabricated commercial bullshit that is music today sold by Apple for one's iPod!

My condolences to the family and wish them well.

On a separate and slightly different note, there is another name worth checking out, and if you ever have a chance there is a DVD that was made about Tom Dowd ... and in there you will find one of the most amazing "histories" of American music that you will ever find ... very little of it makes sense without those notes. And later, it took his expert ear for listening and appreciating music, to find one of the prettiest things ever record in rock music history. It wasn't so much about the players ... in the end, it was almost all of it the gift that one man's ears had for music ... to give it to us.

You can not appreciate a recording engineer any more than that ...

Thanks Roger.