Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Not much
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:58 am 

Can someone explain why the collective Zappa fan energy seems low at the moment?

Post subject: Re: low zappa fan energy
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:43 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Can someone explain why the collective Zappa fan energy seems low at the moment?
you mean here at the forum?
well, there are too few of us posting on a regular basis. been like that for a long time, methinks.
considering how many members the forum actually have*, there should be a lot more activity, you would think.

*and, sure, some of all these members are spammers, and people with more accounts than one, but still...

Post subject: Re: Not much
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:29 pm 

Slowly dawning realization?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:59 pm 

We're freaking old and tired... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:49 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:

The space babies/new language nuts,just up and left one day.Archie Obolar must of fell down the stairs again,taking his laptop with him and knowbody knows yet.The ZFT are on vacation at Trendy's Zardoz III's (only in his mind) Space Camp.So he must be busy.Your right,it don't seem zippy now,but just you wait ....the flood gates are about to open! The crap has slowed to where we show our bones a little,but the cubbards aren't all bare yet. The N.CA.Zappa Freaks check in most everyday.So I think it's just the calm before the storm,waiting for DZ to annouce the rest of the N. American tour.That and there are no new releases.So,now your waiting for the flash flood of news begins! TICK...tick....tick.
Music is the Best! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:54 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

You're damn right Kaptain, and thank you for the illuminating answer 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:20 am 

Not to mention there is some great new music that does not get talked about, Ed Palermo, the Brubeck Brothers

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:26 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:

The space babies/new language nuts,just up and left one day.Archie Obolar must of fell down the stairs again,taking his laptop with him and knowbody knows yet.The ZFT are on vacation at Trendy's Zardoz III's (only in his mind) Space Camp.So he must be busy.Your right,it don't seem zippy now,but just you wait ....the flood gates are about to open! The crap has slowed to where we show our bones a little,but the cubbards aren't all bare yet. The N.CA.Zappa Freaks check in most everyday.So I think it's just the calm before the storm,waiting for DZ to annouce the rest of the N. American tour.That and there are no new releases.So,now your waiting for the flash flood of news begins! TICK...tick....tick.

If you drew a circle on the map in Nor Cal with KK on the south, me on the north, and Plook in the middle we'd have to have the most posts per capita of any comparable land mass on the planet. I'm not kidding. This is not an especially populated area. I'm not sure what any of this means. Maybe this is kind of a District 9 for Zappa fans.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 am 

Some asshole chased everybody away. Then he was banned and oldies were suddenly all coming back, and then another asshole came and chased everybody away. He's been banned for a few weeks now and Batty's back among us, you'll have to wait for the rest.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:37 pm 

BBP wrote:
Some asshole chased everybody away. Then he was banned and oldies were suddenly all coming back, and then another asshole came and chased everybody away. He's been banned for a few weeks now and Batty's back among us, you'll have to wait for the rest.

Wouldn't it be safer to simply agree that we're all assholes, not to mention that we have one, and then just move on?

For me it depends. I dropped out of ProgArchives, because it is run by a bunch of people that have no respect, or appreciation for the arts, and think that Progressive Music is God and any comments to the opposite is heathen and inappropriate and out of order and politically incorrect and anything that poster says, or does is automatically wrong!

Makes you wonder who the assholes really are and who they belong to?

It's a 2way street! But you have to accept that as well as anyone else!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:50 pm 

I think the wind is god; love sailing on a following sea on a screaming reach!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:00 pm 

Moshkito wrote:
BBP wrote:

Wouldn't it be safer to simply agree that we're all assholes, not to mention that we have one, and then just move on?

For me it depends. I dropped out of ProgArchives, because it is run by a bunch of people that have no respect, or appreciation for the arts, and think that Progressive Music is God and any comments to the opposite is heathen and inappropriate and out of order and politically incorrect and anything that poster says, or does is automatically wrong!

Makes you wonder who the assholes really are and who they belong to?

It's a 2way street! But you have to accept that as well as anyone else!

You have no idea... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 pm 

Yes. I think the asshole Bonnie was referring to has a much wider circumference than the average Zappa forumer.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:25 pm 

I think it was a one-shot-deal when in early '02 (Earlier?) the original FZ site opened up with the ZFT's promise of "Vaulternative output" and FZ Maniac-Persons were flooding in as if called by some mysterious siren and it built up fast. Even the sometimes fierce clashes didn't result in anyone leaving permanently and the very few who did were fast replaced by comfortable newcomers who didn't feel they were intruding on an "established members only" in-group.

Even as pissed as people got with the trickles of ZFT releases they remained enthusiastic.

In truth, it was the advent of the hype around "Social Networking" that drew so many away, especially once the "Web 2.0" went up a "point upgrade" and cell phones weren't just cell phones anymore but could access these "networks" like "MyWaste" and ultimately, winning out over "MyWaste" was "Fecesbook" and "Twatter" which created an illusory status of "Internet Celebrity" for those with not much to say but certainly a huge verbosity to command some following the same way major "celebs" commanded so much undue "celeb status" by being stupid publicly and doing so at great length. "Who's in rehab?" "Who's cheating on an agonizing spouse?" "Who'll get the kids?" "Who's gay?" "Who's gay but deniably so and defying definition?" "Whose kids are all fucked up and traumatized and are their celeb parents to blame who are fucked up themselves but just repeating their fucked up parents' fucked up behavior which is still no excuse for them?" How many are household names not because they have any measurable talent but sure have a lot of nerve? Rack up a big one for technology and an equal part for stupidity! Dangle new "Apps" in front of the idiots like colorful play toys on a string above a baby's crib and they'll buy them, just the way they believe "Social Networking" will soon connect them with that new, high-paying job they're sure is out there once they make that just-right connection.

This is the new shit and we're buying! No "forums" can compete with 400 to 2000 "friends", so it's a new era with more pies in the sky and the chance to be a worshipped "Web Celeb" if your ego tells you you ought to be. But what ever happened to those "YouTube celebs" nobody can remember the first letter in their first names? "Poof!" All gone! Not that the FZ forum is gone but it couldn't keep pace while the bullshit of "Social Networking" started boiling over.

--Bat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 pm 

I was enamored by facebook for awhile and all my "Zappa friends" world-wide but I've totally lost interest. I'd rather have a few "good" or even "bad friends" on a site like this. :evil: