Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:13 am 

what Zappa album should I get to start with? and why? thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:24 am 
Banned

bassman wrote:
what Zappa album should I get to start with? and why? thank you!

The first one titled Freak Out!. Also, if you order right away, you'll get your name listed on the Mother Of All Lists.

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=1282&dept_id=9392&sfid=2

The First in the Series - Commemorating the 4tieth Anniversary of that certain release that united Mutations everywhere at once! Pre-order now and you will have your very own name on the Mother of all Lists - as a Person of Interest Who Contributed in a Material Way to Make This Music Possible. No One of Consequence Would Hold It Against You. This List with your name on it will be in the Superb Deluxe Edition (in all its Splendid Project/Object Radiance) Four Disc Commemoration of the making of Freak Out! And it could appear in your mailbox first (if you're on the List), yes and but also, only if you act now. Deadline 22 August 2006. Shipping in the vicinity of 21 September 2006. This will not be available in stores this year.* Mail Order Only!

*Yes, it's true. There is the Exceptional Two Disc FZ AudioDocumentary Commemorating the making of Freak Out! that will be in the stores and here at Barfko-Swill. Simultaneously. Not available for pre-order. (Official Announcement coming soon.)

Please note: We will stop collecting names at midnight pacific time between 22 Aug and 23 Aug. To have your name included, you must enter your name (exactly how you want it printed) into the field at the bottom of the SHIPPING INFORMATION page during check out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:12 am 

While that is a good idea,
you may also want to try one (or all) of the following

3-CD set, Amazing

If you don't know, you should :)

That's my two cents, but what the fuck do I know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:44 am 
Banned

BillyDaMt wrote:

Uncle Meat, the greatest album in recording history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:50 pm 

Just buy them all, it's worth every penny. And when you're listening to all these fabulous songs, remember what Spock said to captain James T. Kirk:"It's music Jim but not as we know it!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:26 pm 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:

Uncle Meat, the greatest album in recording history.

Huh, I always thought you were a die hard Joe's Garage man.
Color me confused. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:38 am 

welp, for me, roughly 14 months ago the first FZ album i purchased was Over-nite Sensation. totally blew my mind. the next day i went out and bought Freak Out! the rest is history. 14 months later i now own over 30 FZ albums, 3 dvds, 2 posters, and 1 titties n beer shirt which i bought at ZPZ. AWESOME.

its great just getting into zappa cause there is a ridiculous amount of music of his to get, which is one of things that really made me curious about THEE man in the first place. he's now my hero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:18 pm 

start with roxy n eslewhere, zappa in new york 1979, things live,, i think,, i started with sheik yerbouti because of a strange thing i had with "yo mamma" even so early albums are great.... freak out HOT RATS, lumpy gravy, ahead of their time etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:15 pm 

I normally play 'One Size Fits All' for the Zappa virgins. 'Overnite Sensation' and 'Apostrophe' are relatively gentle on the uninitiated too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:17 pm 

listen/watch some zappa on youtube & pick one you like best, get the album with earliest version of that song on it; then pick the one with your favorite cover art on it, and also buy one at random

take it slow, bro' ... start off with 3, give each one about a month without listening to new fz, then get one every month or so; you got over 70 to chose from and with maybe 1 exception, you can't go wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 pm 

I always recommend people to start with the album The Yellow Shark. Because it has everything on it: early rock songs, synclavier compositions, political commentaries and originally composed chamber/ensemble music. And the Ensemble Modern delivers the best possible performances of FZ's music!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:01 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
... you got over 70 to chose from and with maybe 1 exception, you can't go wrong

Which one would that be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:44 am 

De Thing-Fish, I prosume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:41 pm 

feralcats wrote:
polydigm wrote:
slime.o wrote:
... with maybe 1 exception, you can't go wrong
. . . . . Which one would that be?
. . . . . . . . . . .De Thing-Fish...

starting out with francesco would not make much of an impression; thing-fish is essential, but would be easier to digest after you absorb zoot, yawyi & maybe even mop, ttr & drowning witch

sy borg wrote:
I always recommend people to start with the album The Yellow Shark. Because it has everything on it: ...
. . . . . . .no guitar solos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:45 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
feralcats wrote:
polydigm wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
... with maybe 1 exception, you can't go wrong
Which one would that be?
De Thing-Fish...
starting out with francesco would not make much of an impression ...

That makes sense, Francesco is hardly an introduction to Zappa's Music.

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
... thing-fish is essential, but would be easier to digest after you absorb zoot, yawyi & maybe even mop, ttr & drowning witch ...

I personally wouldn't call Thing-Fish essential, I never listen to it.

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
sy borg wrote:
I always recommend people to start with the album The Yellow Shark. Because it has everything on it: ...

The Yellow Shark is a great album but it's definitely not intro material unless you already like that sort of thing.

I usually answer this question with Roxy And Elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:01 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
listen/watch some zappa on youtube & pick one you like best, get the album with earliest version of that song on it; then pick the one with your favorite cover art on it, and also buy one at random

take it slow, bro' ... start off with 3, give each one about a month without listening to new fz, then get one every month or so; you got over 70 to chose from and with maybe 1 exception, you can't go wrong

Good advice!!
Listen to Mr Slime...he knows the score!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:09 am 

i started with roxy a couple years back...just randomly glanced at it in my local indie store, saw the sweet picture of frank on his guitar on the back, noticed there were some long tracks (which led me to believe there would be jamming...), and grabbed it. put it in the car stereo, and my mind was blown. probably is still my favorite! since then i have a bunch more, but for starters, it was a successful move...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 am 

polydigm wrote:

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
sy borg wrote:

The Yellow Shark is a great album but it's definitely not intro material unless you already like that sort of thing.

I agree on the fact that there are no guitar solos on The Yellow Shark (there's one on EIHN however), but I disagree that it wouldn't be a good introduction to Zappa. His contemporary classical music is an important part of his output. Neglecting that is neglecting one of the greatest sides of FZ. And The Yellow Shark is the best album on that field in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:47 am 

Three different kinds of Zappa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:58 pm 

Sy Borg wrote:
polydigm wrote:

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
sy borg wrote:

I agree on the fact that there are no guitar solos on The Yellow Shark (there's one on EIHN however), but I disagree that it wouldn't be a good introduction to Zappa. His contemporary classical music is an important part of his output. Neglecting that is neglecting one of the greatest sides of FZ. And The Yellow Shark is the best album on that field in my opinion.

To some extent all of his albums were 'classical'. But the goal with a first album is to get them sympathetic to Zappa's cause, not to scare them off with stuff like 'Times Beach III' and 'III Revisted'. Which are great, but hard for a novice.

I reccomend Joe's Garage, Sheik Yerbouti, but probably for the best results get either Apostrophe or One Size Fits All.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:56 pm 

I think Läther is the best for an introduction. It has so many different sides of his music, that the person-new-to-FZ can have a good idea of what they're getting themselves into. Also, said person can look at the different aspects presented on Läther and start to get into albums that have similar kinds of music to the songs on Läther that said person enjoys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:11 pm 

I'm not sure my first album by him was "you are what you is" but i don't consider that at all his best I think a good one to start out with is either Broadway the hardway or Sheik Yerbouti

15 year old boy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:11 pm 

Studio Tan cuz it's got rock FZ, jazz FZ, modern music FZ, guitar solos, George Duke, munchkin vocals, and bongos.

vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:29 am 

The Filmore East record or Hot Rats is as good as it gets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:08 pm 

That's hard to say. Like fanaskepta...whatever. My first was Joe's Garage Vol. I-III and almost by accident in 1982. I was around 12-13 and ordering some LP's from Columbia House. I don't remember why I got those-maybe it was the song titles listed. But, wow, that got my brain cooking. I guess I would recommend any Zappa album as being good as a first one depending on who is listening. Joe's Garage will always be my favorite. Studio intimacy and live ambience. I didn't know what I was listening to then. I t took me a few years (13 years, when I bought the CD in 1995) to listen to it again to really appreciate it.

But Hot Rats is good too. Can't wait for the making of :D