Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:24 pm 

Mij wrote:
I'm from Québec. Why should I care if Americans still want to arm themselves ?

"In spite of its mandate, there is ample evidence that the NRA has been active globally, and not just where U.S. domestic interests are at stake. Its direct engagement in the Canadian gun control debate dates back almost 30 years."

I read an article a while back about how the NRA had 'assisted' a gun group in Victoria Aust. (a good 1/4 of the population live there).
The article was a brag session about how the 'help' had resulted in a pro gun Liberal (aka Democrat) candidate being elected into a previously safe Labour (aka Liberal) seat. I couldn't find it just now, and have limited time.

downer mydnyte wrote:
My issue with SB, of course, is that it's all along party lines with him. Which makes it false.

Cut the guy some slack, he's probly like, you know, just normal - not like you - you're OBVIOUSLY like ROOLLY WISE an stuff . An a deep thinker, too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:51 am 

Little_Sally wrote:
Caputh wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I trust Caputh.

Thanks - I trust you, too.

Damn.....

And of course, you as well LS - in everything but your gender...
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 am 

Little Sally has an agender? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:13 am 

phydeaux3 wrote:
"In spite of its mandate, there is ample evidence that the NRA has been active globally, and not just where U.S. domestic interests are at stake. Its direct engagement in the Canadian gun control debate dates back almost 30 years.

Well, I can't talk for the ROC (rest of Canada), but I don't see any rush to buy guns here in province of Québec. And we're supposed to be evil separatists (according to ROC).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:36 pm 

phydeaux3 wrote:

downer mydnyte wrote:
My issue with SB, of course, is that it's all along party lines with him. Which makes it false.

Cut the guy some slack, he's probly like, you know, just normal - not like you - you're OBVIOUSLY like ROOLLY WISE an stuff . An a deep thinker, too.

Good point.
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Care to provide specific examples of where any the information I've provided regarding the issue in this thread is technically and numerically inaccurate?

While you're at it, care to provide conclusive information that proves any falsehood....

Quote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The problems exist solely because of an industry that has too much control over our government.

The problem exists because people want to kill each other.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

One good reason to not let them have guns !
In fact, it's the best reason.
:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:41 pm 

Mij wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Let? Who does the letting?
You are "them". No gun for you. But I can have one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:14 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mij wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Let? Who does the letting?
You are "them". No gun for you. But I can have one.

Who let them ? The second Amendment for starter.
And the NRA lobby. And the american attitude toward guns in general.
Don't tell me you didn't know, I won't believe you.

Do you presume that you are "safe" for the rest of the World ?
How can I be sure ?
How will I know for sure that you'll never blow your top ?

I don't have guns. I know no one who has (we're not in US).
I've no desire to get one. And I feel more secure knowing peoples in the streets
where I live are unarmed for a very very vast majority.

We're different. And that's a good thing.
I don't say we're not living some violence here but
mass shootings ? Very few.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 pm 

Mij wrote:
I've no desire to get one. And I feel more secure knowing peoples in the streets

The mass shootings are happening in America because people are being conditioned by their appalling environments. If it wasn't guns it would be fire, poison, virus or some other weapon.

I'm not a gun person. I'm just telling you that laws against guns will make the fucked up people try even harder to find ways to manufacture/obtain guns and commit murder.

When civil rights happened the next phase was assassinations and the flooding of the ghetto with drugs. When gun laws get more severe the ghetto will be flooded with illegal guns. Basically, America is heading in a certain direction and it's probably not reversible for awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:25 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mij wrote:

The mass shootings are happening in America because people are being conditioned by their appalling environments. If it wasn't guns it would be fire, poison, virus or some other weapon.

I'm not a gun person. I'm just telling you that laws against guns will make the fucked up people try even harder to find ways to manufacture/obtain guns and commit murder.

When civil rights happened the next phase was assassinations and the flooding of the ghetto with drugs. When gun laws get more severe the ghetto will be flooded with illegal guns. Basically, America is heading in a certain direction and it's probably not reversible for awhile.

It's a sad thing. All that hate.
One thing remains. A mass shooting is easier to do. Any regular folk can do it. If he has a gun, of course.
It doesn't need much planning. Just a trip to the gun dealer.
With the government blessing. That second amendment.
When a bullet's going straight to your brain, or your heart, there's not much you can do.
No escape. No recourse to the law. If you're hit, that's it.

The quickness between taking the decision to shoot and the shooting itself.
When one blows his top, there's not much time to cool it. BANG ! It's done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:14 pm 

^ And no laws are going to make it better.

Again, did the narcotics act reduce drug availability?

Sinister, ill intentioned, cut off, spoiled idiots are running this show.
All that old money, power and comfort handed down to spoiled children, generation after generation, and here we are. Men who never had to suffer, who had it all handed to them, are now in charge. It would be sad except we all let it happen. The masses continue to worship royalty. I mean, why does England still need a Queen?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:59 pm 

Well we live in a free country, free to be an idiot or normal , if one hates our freedoms to much there are other countrys that will tell you how to do and say, and control every thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 pm 

What worries me is how "we" took this land, Bravo. What we did to the Native Americans WHO WERE ALREADY FREE when we showed up. I think we're still paying for that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:19 pm 

If one wants to kill himself with drugs, I've no problem with that. Be my guest.
Just don't be in my band.

I'm more concerned about those killing others.
One imposing his will of killing me has nothing to do with freedom.
Land of the free ? Really ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 pm 

Mij wrote:
If one wants to kill himself with drugs, I've no problem with that. Be my guest.
Just don't be in my band.

I'm more concerned about those killing others.

Just to be clear: I was comparing the lack of success of the drug laws to the lack of success of the gun laws. I was not comparing drug deaths to gun homicides.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:46 pm 

Gun advocates credit new concealed carry laws for sharp drop in Chicago murder rate

The Washington Times
April 6, 2014
Chicago police are reporting that the murder rate for the first quarter of the year is the lowest it’s been in more than 50 years, which gun advocates are attributing to a concealed carry law passed in Illinois last year.

The first three months of 2014 have seen the fewest number of homicides since 1958 — six fewer than this time in 2013, and 55 fewer than this time in 2012, The Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Gun-rights advocates argue that concealed carry laws can reduce crime and keep the population safer. The state began accepting applications for permits in January.
“The facts are every time guns have been allowed, concealed-carry has been allowed, the crime rate has gone down,” said Rep. Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican, just months before Illinois passed the concealed carry law in July 2013.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:24 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:15 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Mij wrote:
cleon wrote:
Any one dead out of 20 at that age they wonna be ashamed of themselves Where as self defense gone :?

Would that have been a gun instead, no one would be alive.
Even those with Karate black belt.

Or a tactical nuclear missile! Thank God, he didn't use an ICBM!
Mij wrote:
Yeah, the usual thing you can buy at your local gun store 8)
Unless the guy is extremely skilled at rapid lethal knife throwing from 50 feet away or, this comparison is laughable.

Little_Sally wrote:
Gun advocates credit new concealed carry laws for sharp drop in Chicago murder rate

The rates have been dropping rapidly for years before the concealed law went into affect. The drop in gun related casualties in Illinois is entirely because of the stricter laws and lower ownerships per capita. This point has been proven already.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Gun Fetishist Accidentally Shot Himself At NRA Event!

Nevermind the title — this is not ironic. No matter what else it might be, the idea of a gun fetishist shooting himself in the leg at an NRA klan rally — “event” — is not and never will be “ironic.” Irony is defined as the: “incongruity between what actually happens and what might be expected to happen, especially when this disparity seems absurd or laughable.” So, this can’t be ironic. Because when you put a bunch of ignorant, armed, redneck nutjobs in the same room — really, what do you EXPECT to happen?

The self-victim in question was a Western New Jersey man (of course) participating in the Steel City Gun Club’s latest gun orgy. It was put on by a little “gun safety club” called the NRA, and hosted at the Lower Saucon Township, PA gun range, in the Lehigh Valley on the Jersey border. You probably know the Riverside Drive area as the mafia’s preferred 96.73-percent-white “evidence disposal” neighborhood...

http://aattp.org/what-caliber-is-irony- ... nra-event/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:36 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:17 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:47 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Quote:
In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences conducted a review of current research and data on firearms and violent crime, including Lott's work, and found "no credible evidence that the passage of right-to-carry laws decreases or increases violent crime."

Quote:
In particular, a wealth of descriptive information exists about the prevalence of firearm-related injuries and deaths, about firearms markets, and about the relationships between rates of gun ownership and violence. Research has found, for example, that higher rates of household firearms ownership are associated with higher rates of gun suicide, that illegal diversions from legitimate commerce are important sources of crime guns and guns used in suicide, that firearms are used defensively many times per day, and that some types of targeted police interventions may effectively lower gun crime and violence. This information is a vital starting point for any constructive dialogue about how to address the problem of firearms and violence.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309091241&page=2

John R Lott is a paid gun advocate. He's just like the people who were paid by the tobacco industry to spread false information that their product is not harmful. The NRA and gun industry is running the biggest scam in the world.

ALL evidence proves with complete 100% accuracy that more gun owned per capita and weaker laws are the cause for higher gun related crime rates and deaths per capita.

The NRA is nothing more than a religious cult for red necks, and the pedophile known as Ted Nugent is their "golden calf".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:15 am 

Your fact checkers are paid to formulate their opinion also! I think i will go with Mr lott by the way over 90% of our military are NRA members, time you think about the freedoms that you want to take away, unless you are anti military. You are the most bigoted forum member I have seen and i suspect the same in you daily life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:45 am 

The data collected by law enforcement is not based on opinions. The number of gun related crime rates per capita are not based on opinions. The raw data, which is NOT based on opinion confirms my point as the accurate conclusion.

Like them or not, the numbers are what they are. Opinions don't change them.

Sometimes it feels like an argument about the roundness of the Earth between a NASA scientist and a member of the Flat Earth Society.

Incidentally, John R Lott's information is a common sales technique used to sell more product, being his book and more guns to gun owners and advocates, and is NOT based on raw law enforcement data or reality. You've been thoroughly duped.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:20 pm 

Figures Lie, and, Liars Figure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 pm 

You're calling law enforcement and those from the military liars...figures. You think a database from law enforcement and the CDC of crime statistics is a lie and conspiracy against the gun industry? :roll:

Last edited by SPACEBROTHER on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 53  Next