Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5067
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
but if someone wants to kill you they can Waite for the opportunity and drive over you, lets ban cars.


Good idea!

From the standpoint of pollution, the infernal combustion engine has done much to change the world. You make a terrific point.

1) Imagine the number of people who would walk or bicycle the shorter distances instead of taking the car. Children would maybe take the hint that life on the couch is a wasteful life.

2) Doubtless it would help with the ever e-x-p-a-n-d-i-n-g morbidly obese population.

3) A healthy population is far less costly to maintain.

P.S. not everyone should own a car. too many people don't know how to park one, drive one, or maintain one.

P.P.S. from a killing standpoint, the vehicle is a lousy pick. Too many limitations. Suppose the person you want to murder by car lives and works in a skyscraper, you may have to wait weeks for them to cross the street to be an open target for your Deathrace 2000 kill.

Also, cars don't fit in standard size elevators.

_________________
*********************************************************************

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18102
Location: Somewhere in time
Milton Bradley wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
but if someone wants to kill you they can Waite for the opportunity and drive over you, lets ban cars.


Good idea!

From the standpoint of pollution, the infernal combustion engine has done much to change the world. You make a terrific point.

1) Imagine the number of people who would walk or bicycle the shorter distances instead of taking the car. Children would maybe take the hint that life on the couch is a wasteful life.

2) Doubtless it would help with the ever e-x-p-a-n-d-i-n-g morbidly obese population.

3) A healthy population is far less costly to maintain.

P.S. not everyone should own a car. too many people don't know how to park one, drive one, or maintain one.

P.P.S. from a killing standpoint, the vehicle is a lousy pick. Too many limitations. Suppose the person you want to murder by car lives and works in a skyscraper, you may have to wait weeks for them to cross the street to be an open target for your Deathrace 2000 kill.

Also, cars don't fit in standard size elevators.



Yes but with a car you have to have mad skills, usually a point scale needs to be applied with very old, injured and handicapped people brining in far less points... :idea:

Atheletes would have the highest value, while healthy teenagers would but somewhat less, only because they are not bright and can be easily fooled... :shock:

Small child would have low value, but anyone who had been hit before normally would get a good score since they are going to be a lot more on the look out... :o

Super heavy weights should be a negative deduction since they are so easy and they can really damage your vehical... :wink:

Bicyclists that wear all the garb extra points because they are annoying... :mrgreen:

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1952
Common courtesy is one of the keys to driving safety, right?

Not so, advises Joseph D. Younger, automotive editor of AAA New York's Car & Travel Magazine. On the contrary, Younger warns, courteous drivers are one of the greatest potential safety hazards on the road today. "Drivers who cede their legal right of way, thinking they're doing you a favor, might actually put you at risk," he cautions. "The other driver may not notice what's behind him on his right,"explains AAA driving instructor Karen Blackburn, whom Younger quotes in his landmark auto safety article, "When Courtesy Turns Dangerous". "Inviting you to a potential collision is not doing you a favor." But, you might think, if the courteous act of a friendly driver leads to a head-on collision with an oncoming truck, at least I wont be liable. Well, think again. "The other driver has no legal liability," says Blackburn. "It's all on you." So, what are we to do? "Rather than relying on the kindness of strangers," Younger suggests, "consider routes that avoid left turns entirely".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
downer mydnyte wrote:
Common courtesy is one of the keys to driving safety, right?

Not so, advises Joseph D. Younger, automotive editor of AAA New York's Car & Travel Magazine. On the contrary, Younger warns, courteous drivers are one of the greatest potential safety hazards on the road today. "Drivers who cede their legal right of way, thinking they're doing you a favor, might actually put you at risk," he cautions. "The other driver may not notice what's behind him on his right,"explains AAA driving instructor Karen Blackburn, whom Younger quotes in his landmark auto safety article, "When Courtesy Turns Dangerous". "Inviting you to a potential collision is not doing you a favor." But, you might think, if the courteous act of a friendly driver leads to a head-on collision with an oncoming truck, at least I wont be liable. Well, think again. "The other driver has no legal liability," says Blackburn. "It's all on you." So, what are we to do? "Rather than relying on the kindness of strangers," Younger suggests, "consider routes that avoid left turns entirely".

I recall a court case, a number of years back, where 2 girls were crossing a road, but not at the crosswalk. A van driver stopped and waved them across. A car passed the van, and hit the girls. The judge ruled the van driver, who waved the girls across, was at fault. Not the girls. Not the car that hit them.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Started out at 6 injured.
Now it's at 2 dead, 28 injured.
Luckily, they didn't use a gun!

wow...sad......really pathetic and sad. I expected as much from BS, but, wow jpd. You've stooped to an all time low point with this comment jpd. :roll:


But it's ok for you to do it, if it's to make your point, correct?

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
In actual "just breaking news"...

Quote:
At least 14 hurt in stabbing spree on Texas college campus, authorities say
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... s-say?lite


So far, no fatalities are reported. Imagine if the assailant(s) had been armed with guns.... :P :roll:

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
In the stabbing case, nobody died because people were able to fight back. In the shootings and bombing cases, people died and were unable to fight back.


In the bombing incident, whether it's a domestic terrorist or foriegn terrorist, it's most likely that the person, or from the sounds of it being organized, persons involved, they are likely armed with guns as well. The culprits involved with the Oklahoma City bombing come to mind, as do the 9/11 hijackers orgaization leaders.

The use of guns and bombs apply together, as it's what cowards hide behind and make excuses for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am
Posts: 829
And it would seem like they all share one common denominator.

They don't OBEY THE LAW !

So let's get a bunch of ill informed people to write more laws that criminals won't obey. :P

In what year did critical thinking leave this planet anyway ?

:?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
More gun related crime happens in this country than bomb related crime, so that's a no brainer.

Regarding guns, the numbers don't lie...

Quote:
States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death
http://www.vpc.org/press/1006gundeath.htm



Critical thinking left when greedy power brokers mastered the art of mass deception.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am
Posts: 829
Question for you , Spacey.

Before the charged dispensed projectile , ie. gun , was invented , was anybody harmed or murdered on this planet ??

It comes down to the PERSON using the OBJECT of destruction. :roll:
Most likely a CRIMINAL and NOT a law abiding citizen.
If that law abiding person can't keep his arms safely secured , then by all means , take them away from him , but you shouldn't pass laws that affect the people abiding by the law.
That could be viewed as a form of discrimination , and you're all about being against that , right ? :roll:

Take away all the guns you want from the private citizen ( but let the gov't have em all ) and someone will try to kill you with a rubber band. :|

Now , go get on your high horse and post an idiotic response like ' Pedro threatened to kill me with a rubber band !!! Waaaa'

:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
again, the numbers don't lie...

States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death
http://www.vpc.org/press/1006gundeath.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
I was going to post this in the Breaking News This Just In thread, but I think it's more appropriate to put it here...

Quote:
Letter sent to US senator tests positive for deadly poison

A letter intended to reach Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., was intercepted at an off-site facility after testing positive for a deadly poison, according to FBI officials.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... ision?lite



I wonder if it has anything to do with this story...

Quote:
Senate heads off filibuster on gun bill
...
The 16 Republican senators voting to move forward were Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, Richard Burr of North Carolina, Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, Susan Collins of Maine, Bob Corker of Tennessee, Jeff Flake of Arizona, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Dean Heller of Nevada, John Hoeven of North Dakota, Johnny Isakson of Georgia, Mark Kirk of Illinois, John McCain of Arizona, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Roger Wicker of Mississippi.
...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... r/2072859/



...and the bombing in Boston, that just so happened to take place at the 26 mile marker where there just happened to be a memorial dedication for the Newtown victims. Maybe it's just a coincidence, we'll find out soon enough.

Very odd for these incidents to just be coincidentally happening at the same time. It all seems quite organized so would require a source with considerable the resources and the motivation to lash out.

In any case, they will all be caught, whoever is behind all of these incidents,wheher related or not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am
Posts: 829
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
again, the numbers don't lie...

States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death
http://www.vpc.org/press/1006gundeath.htm


And for the other side of the coin :wink:

http://gunvictimsaction.org/fact-sheet/ ... and-youth/

Here's a preview.

Virtually every gun starts out as a legally manufactured product, but the
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) points to three common ways guns move from legal distribution channels to the criminal market:

Corrupt federally licensed gun dealers: Federally licensed gun dealers send more guns to the criminal market than any other single source. Nearly 60% of the guns used in crime are traced back to a small number—just 1.2%—of crooked gun dealers. Corrupt dealers frequently have high numbers of missing guns, in many cases because they’re selling guns “off the books” to private sellers and criminals. In 2005, the ATF examined 3,083 gun dealers and found 12,274 “missing” firearms.

Straw purchasing: Straw purchasers are often the friends, relatives, spouses or girlfriends of prohibited purchasers. The two Columbine High School shooters recruited friends to buy guns for them at Colorado gun shows. One of the buyers admitted she would not have bought the guns if she had been required to submit to a background check.

Gun Shows and private gun sales: Gun shows have been called “Tupperware parties for criminals” because they attract large numbers of prohibited buyers. A loophole in federal law allows unlicensed or “private” sellers, many of whom work out of gun shows, to lawfully sell or transfer guns without conducting a criminal background check. Gun show dealers have been known to advertise to criminals with signs that read “no background checks required here.”

Go after these guys , not the ones that obey the law .

If you go here :arrow: http://www.tracetheguns.org/#

You can see that the states your link has as the top five , also correlates to the states with the highest CRIMINAL gun activity.

As for your ' theory ' on the ' related ' events in the US , would you care to speculate on who you may think is behind it all ?

I think I can guess :wink: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
There is no other side to the coin except more excuses. More guns + less restrictive gun laws = more related gun crime period.

Odd, but not so surprising is how the Boston Bombing just so happens to fall during the same week as the anniversaries of other domestic terrorism related activities. I would say that between the information being reported, recent political developements, the anniversary week of high profile domestic terrorist incidents and a certain anniversary of an influential evil dictator........the evidence, circumstantial, non-circumstantial and concrete is pointing squarly towards that direction. I'm sure the wacko's will make excuses for that too, if it does indeed end up being the case.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5067
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
There is no other side to the coin except more excuses. More guns + less restrictive gun laws = more related gun crime period.

Odd, but not so surprising is how the Boston Bombing just so happens to fall during the same week as the anniversaries of other domestic terrorism related activities. I would say that between the information being reported, recent political developements, the anniversary week of high profile domestic terrorist incidents and a certain anniversary of an influential evil dictator........the evidence, circumstantial, non-circumstantial and concrete is pointing squarly towards that direction. I'm sure the wacko's will make excuses for that too, if it does indeed end up being the case.


I agree with you Spacebro. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The synchronicity and alignment of calendar dates should not be taken lightly. They should be used as a possible reference point until they can be nullified. They may (or may not) have something to do with the case. My theories about this are inconclusive and will remain theories.

Also I'm wondering if this made to look like the work of someone else. All bets are off at this point until more evidence comes in.

_________________
*********************************************************************

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Thanks Milton! You're a true fellow Michigander brother!




Another date to add to the calender...today, the day Republicans voted to allow criminals access to guns without background checks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3298
are you saying ALL dems voted for the bill ?

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
are you saying ALL dems voted for the bill ?


Am I saying ALL dems voted in favor of the bill, and if I did, where exactly did I say that? :roll:



The people who voted against the bill are pathetic cowards and are detrimenal to our national security, as are their supporters. Ricin laced mail and IEDs at the Boston Marathon? Really? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1952
I hope they take away more of our freedoms so that stuff like this wont happen again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3298
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
are you saying ALL dems voted for the bill ?


Am I saying ALL dems voted in favor of the bill, and if I did, where exactly did I say that? :roll:



The people who voted against the bill are pathetic cowards and are detrimenal to our national security, as are their supporters. Ricin laced mail and IEDs at the Boston Marathon? Really? :roll:

Glad to hear you lump democrats in with your "Nazi fascist kkk republicans"

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18102
Location: Somewhere in time
This bill was a no brainer, no restrictions on anyone, just closed the loop holes in skipping background checks...90% of Americans support this...where is the problem... :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
The fact that they voted down background checks, almost entirely Replikkkans and a few red state fake Democrats who are really Republikkkans, shows that they are more interested in protecting criminals than they are 5 and 6 year old children. The NRA is a terrorist organization and should be treated as so.


The framers of the Constitution didn't draft the second amendment with the intention to allow average Joe Blow the right to bear weapons of mass destruction like assault weapons, nor does it give the right to form terrorist cells, which is what militia's have become. It gave states the rights to form the National Guard.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18102
Location: Somewhere in time
Al Queda knows of the gun show weekness and have encouraged their followers to use it... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Another school shooting. This time at MIT...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... -mit?lite=


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3298
You idiot, this was the cops in a shootout with the Chechnya al-Qaida marathon bombers good thing the cops had guns.

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5433
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
The suspects had guns and shot a cop. I wonder if they were able to obtain them from a gun show that didn't have mandatory background checks? If they are part of al-Qaida, a simple background check might have kept the guns out of their possession. The NRA, the gun industry and the Republican party aren't interested in keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists and have yet proven again that, like the terrorists, are a threat to our national security...idiot :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 44  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group