Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 53  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Some more gun wacko news...

Letter to Obama similar to threats made against Bloomberg, anti-gun group

...The text of the Obama letter was identical to the text in the other two letters, which warned that anyone who comes to the sender’s house will “get shot in the face” and vows to protect a "constitutional and God-given right to bear arms".

The text also warned: “What’s in this letter is nothing compared to what I’ve got planned for you.”...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05 ... group?lite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
What if's, possibilities and maybes aren't facts. The statistical numgbers speak for themselves. States with the highest gun ownerships per capita have the highest gun crime rates per capita...

Quote:
Myth #2: Guns don't kill people—people kill people.
Fact-check: People with more guns tend to kill more people—with guns. The states with the highest gun ownership rates have a gun murder rate 114% higher than those with the lowest gun ownership rates. Also, gun death rates tend to be higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership. Gun death rates are generally lower in states with restrictions such as assault-weapons bans or safe-storage requirements.

Sources - Pediatrics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Well there is one tragic fact, the woman got raped, and this very situation is one of the reasons for the second amendment, perhaps you will some day be caught in a similar situation, but you will pull out your glock and defend your self , i know you are a gun owner, it's written all over your posts. Thats fine, you just need to cool the rhetoric on this forum a little, can you say redundant?

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Well there is one tragic fact, the woman got raped, and this very situation is one of the reasons for the second amendment, perhaps you will some day be caught in a similar situation, but you will pull out your glock and defend your self , i know you are a gun owner, it's written all over your posts. Thats fine, you just need to cool the rhetoric on this forum a little, can you say redundant?



I've never owned a gun in my life, and never will. I'm not against people owning guns either, if they are responsible and adhere to the laws. At the same time, does anybody really need high powered assault weapons with high capacity clips? Is that really practical? Are they such bad shots that they need to shoot more than a few high-velocity bullets to hit a simple target?

The problem is that the industry, it's surrogate promoters and certain *cough* fan clubs want to peddle and sell more and more product, but not be held responsible for the misuse of their product....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Walt Disney World patron leaves gun on ride
Gun's owner didn't realize that weapons aren't allowed in the theme park.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) -- A Walt Disney World patron on a ride with her grandson found a loaded gun on her seat, officials said Wednesday.

Officials said that the woman found the pistol on the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. The woman turned over the loaded weapon to a park attendant, who then contacted her manager and authorities...

...Disney World prohibits patrons from bringing weapons of any kind on its property.


http://local.msn.com/travel/walt-disney-gun

-------------------------------------------------------------------

....and all too many legal gun owners can't handle the responsibility.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.

Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
43% of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm.
• In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boys who found a handgun pulled the trigger.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Posts: 339
Image

_________________
Banned
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/banned


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 19065
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3643
Location: Vancouver, BC
Image

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Myth #6: Carrying a gun for self-defense makes you safer.

Fact-check: In 2011, nearly 10 times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime.
• In one survey, nearly 1% of Americans reported using guns to defend themselves or their property. However, a closer look at their claims found that more than 50% involved using guns in an aggressive manner, such as escalating an argument.
• A Philadelphia study found that the odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Well there is one tragic fact, the woman got raped, and this very situation is one of the reasons for the second amendment, perhaps you will some day be caught in a similar situation, but you will pull out your glock and defend your self , i know you are a gun owner, it's written all over your posts. Thats fine, you just need to cool the rhetoric on this forum a little, can you say redundant?



I've never owned a gun in my life, and never will. I'm not against people owning guns either, if they are responsible and adhere to the laws. At the same time, does anybody really need high powered assault weapons with high capacity clips? Is that really practical? Are they such bad shots that they need to shoot more than a few high-velocity bullets to hit a simple target?

The problem is that the industry, it's surrogate promoters and certain *cough* fan clubs want to peddle and sell more and more product, but not be held responsible for the misuse of their product....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Walt Disney World patron leaves gun on ride
Gun's owner didn't realize that weapons aren't allowed in the theme park.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) -- A Walt Disney World patron on a ride with her grandson found a loaded gun on her seat, officials said Wednesday.

Officials said that the woman found the pistol on the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. The woman turned over the loaded weapon to a park attendant, who then contacted her manager and authorities...

...Disney World prohibits patrons from bringing weapons of any kind on its property.


http://local.msn.com/travel/walt-disney-gun

-------------------------------------------------------------------

....and all too many legal gun owners can't handle the responsibility.

I don't believe you you own a gun admit it, so you find your self in a position to be raped and killed you have no means of protection what do YOU do? As for semi auto weapons, well many folks shoot for a hobby, it's an Olympic sport, and well just damn fun, explain to me your feelings about more than 300 mexicans killed by semi and fully auto guns, that were provided by your our government? then covered up by the ag.

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
...so you find your self in a position to be raped and killed you have no means of protection what do YOU do?...


...segway to the next pro-gun myth...


Myth #7: Guns make women safer.

Fact-check: In 2010, nearly 6 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers.
• A woman's chances of being killed by her abuser increase more than 7 times if he has access to a gun.
• One study found that women in states with higher gun ownership rates were 4.9 times more likely to be murdered by a gun than women in states with lower gun ownership rates.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Posts: 339
Image

_________________
Banned
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/banned


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
...so you find your self in a position to be raped and killed you have no means of protection what do YOU do?...


...segway to the next pro-gun myth...


Myth #7: Guns make women safer.

Fact-check: In 2010, nearly 6 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers.
• A woman's chances of being killed by her abuser increase more than 7 times if he has access to a gun.
• One study found that women in states with higher gun ownership rates were 4.9 times more likely to be murdered by a gun than women in states with lower gun ownership rates.

You spew stats but never answer the question, what the fuck would you do? Quote stats to the person trying to kill you? I am not going to get into a stat posting competition with you, as this is your fatal flaw, you do not act like a living person, again what would you do?

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
I don't do speculations and what if's. It's not the publics place to become vigilantes, terrorists, and mercenaries. The logical thing to do in any situation when in danger is call the cops...period...thats what they are there for. Gun ownership has been proven to be almost completey ineffective as a deterant, and more often than not in situations like that, don't end well for the gun owner or their families. Proven fact.





Myth #8: "Vicious, violent video games" deserve more blame than guns.

Fact-check: So said NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre after Newtown. So what's up with Japan?

Per capita spending on video games - USA = $44 / Japan = $55

Civilian firearms per 100 people - USA = 88 / Japan = 0.6

Gun homicides in 2008 - USA = 11,030 / Japan = 11


Sources - PricewaterhouseCoopers, Small Arms Survey, UN Office on Drugs and Crime




Bottom line...higher gun ownerships per capita = higher gun crime rates per capita.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
No you are wrong, and the point is; this very thing just happened in sw, oregon, Can you not read, this is what i am trying to debate with you. How the fuck do you think laws are made? You have to take into consideration what if's, or do you blindly blunder your way through life. Again the county this gal lived in is to large for the sheriff dept. to respond, look it up on abc news and listen to the 911 recording for your self, now put your self in that situation, you called the cops they said they had no one to respond, what the fuck do you( SB) do? Now you say you don't do what if's ,well ALL your reports are based on what if's, that is, what if some one tried to defend them self and the purp took the gun and killed them with it, ok, so you like that what if. What if the fed gov. gave guns to mexican gangs to see where the guns go, and it backfires and they are used to kill over 300 innocent people, oh yea that happened, what if we drop a nuke on japan ,will that stop the war, oh yea that happened, so it looks to me like you are just another educated idiot, that hasn't got the balls to answer a question when asked, you have rectal sightis, thats correct, the nerves in your ass are crossed with the nerves in your eyes and you have a shitty outlook on life. IMHO you suck snail shit.

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
It's tragic that tha woman had to go through that. It's also tragic that anybody has to go through any kind of bullshit that some fuckheads put them through. Had the woman been armed doesn't guarantee that she wouldn't have been raped. How about the mass rapes in the military, where everybody is armed? What would you do if your superior repeatedly raped you BS (yes, men get raped in the military too)? Would you shoot them or report it. Peraps you wouldn't say anything about it and live with it.

Basically, you're attempting to use one example out of thousands to make a broad statement. What would you do if your child, or grandchild got a hold of your gun and shot themself in the face? Would you say "You need more guns in the house" if that happened? Of course, your answer will be, "that would never happen me". I, for one can say beyond all reasonable doubt, that that will NEVER happen to me, because I'll never have a firearm in my home. Don't need 'em. Don't want 'em. I'll never put myself into a postition where I would need one, and I for goddamned sure won't become brainwashed into buying one because some multinational corporation and their salesmen and glee clubs tried to scare me into buying their stupid products. Too many dumbfucks are allowed to own firearms, and they are the ones who are going to ruin it for all of you gun chumps. Blame dumbfuck irresponsible gun owners and the money grubbing industry, not those of us who are sick and tired of your pathetic gun chump excuses who want nothing to do with your stupid fucking hobby. Now go fuck yourself...IMHO. :roll:


Regardless of the excuse making, the facts are the facts...


Myth #9: More and more Americans are becoming gun owners.

Fact-check: More guns are being sold, but they're owned by a shrinking portion of the population.
About 50% of Americans said they had a gun in their homes in 1973. Today, about 45% say they do. Overall, 35% of Americans personally own a gun.
• Around 80% of gun owners are men. On average they own 7.9 guns each.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3643
Location: Vancouver, BC
tweedle-dumb wrote:
Regardless of the excuse making, the facts are the facts...


http://www.thefreedictionary.com/irony


i·ro·ny (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies
1.
a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.
2.
a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" (Richard Kain).
b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.
3. Dramatic irony.
4. Socratic irony.
[French ironie, from Old French, from Latin rna, from Greek eirneia, feigned ignorance, from eirn, dissembler, probably from eirein, to say; see wer-5 in Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.


irony1

n pl -nies
1. the humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean
2. an instance of this, used to draw attention to some incongruity or irrationality
3. incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity
4. (Performing Arts / Theatre) See dramatic irony
5. (Philosophy) Philosophy See Socratic irony
[from Latin ironia, from Greek eirōneia, from eirōn dissembler, from eirein to speak]

irony2

adj
of, resembling, or containing iron
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003


i•ro•ny (ˈaɪ rə ni, ˈaɪ ər-)

n., pl. -nies.
1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.
2. Socratic irony.
3. dramatic irony.
4. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
5. the incongruity of this.
6. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
7. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Myth #10: We don't need more gun laws—we just need to enforce the ones we have.

Fact-check: Weak laws and loopholes backed by the gun lobby make it easier to get guns illegally.
Around 40% of all legal gun sales involve private sellers and don't require background checks. 40% of prison inmates who used guns in their crimes got them this way.
• An investigation found 62% of online gun sellers were willing to sell to buyers who said they couldn't pass a background check.
20% of licensed California gun dealers agreed to sell handguns to researchers posing as illegal "straw" buyers.
• The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has not had a permanent director for 6 years, due to an NRA-backed requirement that the Senate approve nominees.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm
Posts: 339
this is fun
Image

_________________
Banned
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/banned


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down
Fact-checking some of the gun lobby's favorite arguments shows they're full of holes.

By cutting off federal funding for research and stymieing data collection and sharing, the National Rifle Association has tried to do to the study of gun violence what climate deniers have done to the science of global warming. No wonder: When it comes to hard numbers, some of the gun lobby's favorite arguments are full of holes.


Myth #1: They're coming for your guns.

Fact-check: No one knows the exact number of guns in America, but it's clear there's no practical way to round them all up (never mind that no one in Washington is proposing this). Yet if you fantasize about rifle-toting citizens facing down the government, you'll rest easy knowing that America's roughly 80 million gun owners already have the feds and cops outgunned by a factor of around 79 to 1.

Sources - Small Arms Survey, Congressional Research Service


Myth #2: Guns don't kill people—people kill people.
Fact-check: People with more guns tend to kill more people—with guns. The states with the highest gun ownership rates have a gun murder rate 114% higher than those with the lowest gun ownership rates. Also, gun death rates tend to be higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership. Gun death rates are generally lower in states with restrictions such as assault-weapons bans or safe-storage requirements.

Sources - Pediatrics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention


Myth #3: An armed society is a polite society.

Fact-check: Drivers who carry guns are 44% more likely than unarmed drivers to make obscene gestures at other motorists, and 77% more likely to follow them aggressively.
• Among Texans convicted of serious crimes, those with concealed-handgun licenses were sentenced for threatening someone with a firearm 4.8 times more than those without.
• In states with Stand Your Ground and other laws making it easier to shoot in self-defense, those policies have been linked to a 7 to 10% increase in homicides.


Myth #4: More good guys with guns can stop rampaging bad guys.

Fact-check: Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 30 years: 0
• Chances that a shooting at an ER involves guns taken from guards: 1 in 5


Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.

Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
43% of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm.
• In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boys who found a handgun pulled the trigger.


Myth #6: Carrying a gun for self-defense makes you safer.

Fact-check: In 2011, nearly 10 times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime.
• In one survey, nearly 1% of Americans reported using guns to defend themselves or their property. However, a closer look at their claims found that more than 50% involved using guns in an aggressive manner, such as escalating an argument.
• A Philadelphia study found that the odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater.


Myth #7: Guns make women safer.

Fact-check: In 2010, nearly 6 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers.
• A woman's chances of being killed by her abuser increase more than 7 times if he has access to a gun.
• One study found that women in states with higher gun ownership rates were 4.9 times more likely to be murdered by a gun than women in states with lower gun ownership rates.


Myth #8: "Vicious, violent video games" deserve more blame than guns.

Fact-check: So said NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre after Newtown. So what's up with Japan?

Per capita spending on video games - USA = $44 / Japan = $55

Civilian firearms per 100 people - USA = 88 / Japan = 0.6

Gun homicides in 2008 - USA = 11,030 / Japan = 11


Sources - PricewaterhouseCoopers, Small Arms Survey, UN Office on Drugs and Crime


Myth #9: More and more Americans are becoming gun owners.

Fact-check: More guns are being sold, but they're owned by a shrinking portion of the population.
About 50% of Americans said they had a gun in their homes in 1973. Today, about 45% say they do. Overall, 35% of Americans personally own a gun.
• Around 80% of gun owners are men. On average they own 7.9 guns each.


Myth #10: We don't need more gun laws—we just need to enforce the ones we have.

Fact-check: Weak laws and loopholes backed by the gun lobby make it easier to get guns illegally.
Around 40% of all legal gun sales involve private sellers and don't require background checks. 40% of prison inmates who used guns in their crimes got them this way.
• An investigation found 62% of online gun sellers were willing to sell to buyers who said they couldn't pass a background check.
20% of licensed California gun dealers agreed to sell handguns to researchers posing as illegal "straw" buyers.
• The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has not had a permanent director for 6 years, due to an NRA-backed requirement that the Senate approve nominees.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
yeah...loads of fun :roll: :P


Texas tragedy as boy, 2, dies after shooting himself in face

Travis Mathis was with his great-great-grandparents when he somehow got hold of a pistol.

A two-year-old boy in East Texas, who found a 9-mm pistol in a bedroom of his great-great-grandparents' home, died Wednesday after shooting himself in the face...

...The boy, who would have turned three next month, was airlifted by East Texas Medical Center's Air-1 helicopter to its Tyler trauma center. The cause of death was a single gunshot to his head.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1358496


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
And now dear friends step right up it's life in a bubble as told by Space bro

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 3643
Location: Vancouver, BC
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... d-man.html


As for violence in films, it’s a subject Hollywood is usually happy to avoid – but not Pitt.

His latest film, Killing Them Softly, which he also produced, is a very cool but very violent thriller.
The first time we met for this interview, it had just received a standing ovation at Cannes and he readily defended the graphic scenes.

‘It’s a violent world we live in,’ he said.

‘I don’t agree with trying to hide that or cover it up.’

A few weeks later, James Holmes shot 12 people dead and wounded 58 others at a screening of the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises in Colorado.

A debate raged in the media about to what extent screen violence was to blame, along with calls for a review of U.S. gun laws.

At Cannes, I was struck by the strength of Pitt’s views. When we next met, in England three weeks after the killings, I asked if he’d changed his mind on film violence.

‘No. I absolutely don’t believe you can put sanctions or shackles on what is made. Nor do I want to pretend the world is different than what we witnessed that night.

‘Does it contribute to a sick mind? Yes, probably. What can we do about it? It’s a very interesting question. I see society, and every one of us is a part of that society. I don’t have the answer to that. I just know that you can’t start burning books and squashing ideas.’

Controversially for one of Hollywood’s leading liberals, he doesn’t believe U.S. gun laws should be changed.

‘America is a country founded on guns. It’s in our DNA. It’s very strange but I feel better having a gun. I really do. I don’t feel safe, I don’t feel the house is completely safe, if I don’t have one hidden somewhere. That’s my thinking, right or wrong.

‘I got my first BB gun (a type of air gun) when I was in nursery school. I got my first shotgun by first grade (aged six), I had shot a handgun by third grade (aged eight) and I grew up in a pretty sane environment.

'I really feel like I've hit the lottery,' said Brad

‘I was in the UK when the shootings happened and I did hear the discussion about gun control start again, and as far as I know it petered out as it always does.

‘It’s just something with us. To turn around and ask us to give up our guns... I don’t know, we’re too afraid that we’re going to give up ours and the bad guys are still going to get theirs. It’s just in our thinking. I’m telling you, we don’t know America without guns.’

_________________
:53 - :57...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
predictably....more excuses and denial. :roll: I guess some folks are just inherently stupid...

11-Year-Old Girl Paralyzed After Stray Bullet Hits Neck

An 11-year-old girl set to graduate from elementary school later this month is paralyzed from the neck down after she was hit by a stray bullet when she walked out of her home...

...Mazyck was waiting for her aunt outside her Bedford-Stuyvesant home around 8:30 p.m. when a gunman walking down the street opened fire at two men standing outside of another residence, police said.

A stray bullet pierced Mazyck's throat, ricocheting down her spine before lodging in her back, the girl's father says doctors told him...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52066464




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Slain NJ 6-Year-Old's Family Sues Parents of Shooter, 4


...Brandon was killed April 8 while playing "pretend shooting" with the Senatores' 4-year-old son in the neighborhood where both families lived. Authorities have said the younger boy got a loaded .22-caliber rifle from his home and fired a shot that hit Brandon in the head...

...Anthony Senatore was charged with child endangerment and failing to secure weapons after authorities also found four shotguns close to ammunition and accessible to Senatore's three children. His other children are 12 and 8 years old.

He is free on $100,000 bail and could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted on the charges....


http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52067702



I believe that both parents of the 4 year old should permanently lose custody of their children, surrender all of their assets and go to prison for life without parole. The NRA and the gun industry and gun owners should be forced to pick up the tab of raising the children for life and all medical and legal fee's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
Colorado woman left estranged husband a note before shooting their 9-year-old son: police

Lisa Marie Lesyshen left a letter for Michael Kirlan on their child’s nightstand that read, ‘Remember you are responsible for what has happened here,’ according to an arrest warrant.

A Colorado mother who shot her 9-year-old son five times did it to get back at her husband, according to police documents.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/m ... z2V2SIWX1y

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


NC Man Convicted In Shooting Death Of 2-Year-Old

A Charlotte man has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the shooting death of a 2-year-old boy almost three years ago...

Prosecutors said Royster fired 11 shots at someone in a car...

...Amias was out with his babysitter riding in his stroller on Aug. 12, 2010, when he was shot twice. He died four days later.

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/06/0 ... -year-old/


-------------------------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
Hide the pencil sharpener from bubble boy, aka SB.

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1314 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 53  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group