Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:15 am 

http://idiotbastard.com/Reviews/AndTheAnd.htm

Overall, I'm not a Watson fan. I find it ironic that Mr. Situationist/Adorno/Marxism has the nerve to accuse the various writers in Zappa and The And of "trendy methodology." Watson is bummed out by the lack of musicological analysis in this book, but Poodle Play was severely lacking in the same department, so again pot meets kettle.

I'd like to read this book, but damn, that's a ridiculous price tag -- on Amazon, the physical copy is $100, and the digital version is $70. Get bent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 pm 

watson wanted contributor's applying their talent discovering something new in anything zappa fans could related to, and a couple of cheap shots like 'riddled with errors' ... the part about the variations & sources of zappa's commercialized voice sounds interesting, but fuck, $75 [bookdepository.co.uk] is institutional use only; maybe if it dropped to 50 bucks

poodle play is very high on my list of zappa books, always entertaining and even if you don't agree with most of his zappology, his theories are original and often put into words what you always knew or suspected

poodleplay, on z & the & : 'it’s stuffed with these balls-aching rituals which really should bother no-one outside the academic racket'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:00 am 

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. Watson always says something interesting. I like his Poodle book, as it contains a lot of food for thought. You don't have to agree with it to find it entertaining.

It is probably not an easy volume to read, and it is clearly intended for academia. Hence, the high price. So we should not worry too much, I guess.