Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:22 am 

https://truefire.com/courses/https://truefire.com/dweezology/fretboard-freedom/c812

Dweezil joins the ranks of TrueFire.com - a great site for guitar courses for all level of players. From the site:

Creative & Visual Methods for Dynamic Improvisations

The pentatonic box is the guitarist’s proverbial “blessing and curse.” For guitar players, the initial discovery of the box parallels Edison’s eureka moment with the light bulb. The visual mapping of the pentatonic box on the fretboard is as easy to follow as painting with numbers. Beautifully symmetrical and quickly transposable to any key, the box single handedly catapults the vast majority of players into ‘lead’ guitarists.

But the box soon becomes a prison, a bad habit that restricts players from venturing outside, which in turn makes the rest of the fretboard a scary no man’s land of uncharted territory. ‘Breaking out’ of the box is a rite of passage that every player must take on at some point in their development, if only to quell the boredom, let alone becoming a skilled improvisor.

There are dozens of effective approaches and systems for breaking out of the box, but none of them as simple and quick to master as the approach found in Dweezil Zappa’s Fretboard Freedom. Better yet, Dweezil’s Five Shapes of Freedom serve double-duty as highly creative building blocks for fresh lines and improvisations.

We’re thrilled to welcome Dweezil to the TrueFire family. Dweezil is a prolific and extraordinarily inventive composer, recording artist and performer. He’s highly respected by his peers, fans and friends alike. Dweezil is also a passionate educator and we consider ourselves very fortunate to collaborate with him and bring his insightful teachings to our student body.

Dweezil organized Fretboard Freedom into two mind-blowing sections. In the first section, he presents the fundamentals of his Five Shapes of Freedom system in just four video lessons. He’ll show you the five shapes, their ‘mirror image patterns’ and their ‘neighbors’ to the right and left.

Get a grip on this simple system and you will not only break out of the box, you will see, understand and be able to navigate the fretboard like never before. Everything you already know about pentatonics -- all of your licks and favorite moves -- you'll be able to play anywhere on the neck, in any octave, in any key. And you’ll be able to do it in a matter of days.

In the second section, Dweezil shares an improvisational toolbox filled with technical and creative applications for the Five Shapes of Freedom system: Connecting The Shapes, Pentatonic Color Palette, Resequencing Phrases, Rhythmic Resequencing, Picking Techniques, Economy Picking Pentatonics, Connecting Small Phrases, Pivoting With Connectors, Randomization, In-Between The Box and the Whole Tone Scale.

Dweezil demonstrates and clearly explains everything step-by-step, concept-by-concept. The Five Shapes of Freedom are also clearly illustrated in a series of charts. All of the key demonstrations are also tabbed and notated.

Ready to begin your own rite of passage? The first step out of the box is just a click away…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:42 pm 

Think I'll take a look! Thanks HJ.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:46 pm 

Excellent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:07 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:05 am 

Five shapes of freedom? haha. Only 5? I feel less free already.

Don't pay money for this nonsense. Here's a more valuable lesson that I offer for free:
You don't learn how to be a musician from this crap. This is a way for DZ to make money off of naive dreamers. There's no shortcut to being your best.
Players are imprisoned by the pentatonic scale because they want to be. They like it. Where's Angus Young? Would he sit still for DZ's "lessons"? If someone wants to "break out of their pentatonic prison" it's simple. Look up some new scales. Or make up your own. All the other notes are right there. Pick one. Listen to how it sounds. Figure it out. Can you recite the alphabet from A to G# over and over again? If so you can identify notes by name (if you desire).

There is no "system" for playing music. Unless you wanna be a robot clone. You listen and you play. Experiencing life outside of music is the best way to bring something meaningful to the music. DZ had his whole career and all of his material handed to him. He just has to move his fingers. Don't get mad at me. I'm giving it up to you for free. Study some theory, scales, chords. Time signatures are simply a matter of counting. How hard is it to memorize some exotic scales? Bypass the unworthy middleman who is only trying to make a buck off your starstruck gullibility.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:54 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Don't pay money for this nonsense. Here's a more valuable lesson that I offer for free:
You don't learn how to be a musician from this crap. This is a way for DZ to make money off of naive dreamers. There's no shortcut to being your best.
Players are imprisoned by the pentatonic scale because they want to be. They like it. Where's Angus Young? Would he sit still for DZ's "lessons"? If someone wants to "break out of their pentatonic prison" it's simple. Look up some new scales. Or make up your own. All the other notes are right there. Pick one. Listen to how it sounds. Figure it out. Can you recite the alphabet from A to G# over and over again? If so you can identify notes by name (if you desire).

There is no "system" for playing music. Unless you wanna be a robot clone. You listen and you play. Experiencing life outside of music is the best way to bring something meaningful to the music. DZ had his whole career and all of his material handed to him. He just has to move his fingers. Don't get mad at me. I'm giving it up to you for free. Study some theory, scales, chords. Time signatures are simply a matter of counting. How hard is it to memorize some exotic scales? Bypass the unworthy middleman who is only trying to make a buck off your starstruck gullibility.

Memory is my #1 problem, if the Dweez' method can help with that I'm in.......PS Nice guitar Dweezil, I wish I had one, oh wait I have :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:42 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Many of the courses on TrueFire are great inspiration for the mortal players who are not blessed with a talent like Mozart or Hendrix enabling them to figure out everything by themselves. But thanks for your free advice. It doesn't really do anything for me. But you have hopefully saved a few.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:40 pm 

^ Thanks for comparing me to Hendrix and Mozart.

I guess Fretboard Freedom aint free. At least not for you. "Mortals" must pay!

As privileged as DZ is, he could afford to be more generous with things like shapes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:43 pm 

https://youtu.be/ccbC_jMWt68

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:36 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

you took the words right out of my head.
very well put, downer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:47 am 

^I see your wearing your brown lipstick today...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:52 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

As privileged as DZ is, he could afford to be more generous with things like shapes.

Yeah! Everything should be free. Great idea. Can I be on the board deciding on who should work for free?

I had a piano teacher when I was a kid. She took money from my parents for teaching me stuff. I see now how she deceived us!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:47 am 

10 Minutes with Dweezil Zappa
Guitar scion frees fans and musicians alike from their boxes
By Jim Caligiuri, 10:00AM, Fri. May. 1
Zappa Plays Zappa hits Emo’s tonight with eldest son Dweezil leading a performance of 1975 LP One Size Fits All. A lengthy second set of Frank Zappa’s avant-rock compositions follows. Before soundcheck, at 4pm for $75, guitarists of all abilities can get tips from the Grammy-winning bandleader during a 90-minute class he’s dubbed Dweezilla.

Geezerville: Is it difficult finding musicians to play Frank’s music and getting them to reproduce it the way you want?

Dweezil Zappa: It hasn’t been difficult. There are people out there with skills. The hardest part, beyond playing the music, is finding people you can live with in close quarters, on a tour bus and so forth. I’ve been able to find good players.

My dad would go through people fairly regularly. I think the longest time he ever had a consistent band was maybe four years. I’ve had a little bit of turnover over the years.

I started 10 years ago and [multi-instrumentalist/vocalist] Scheila Gonzales has been with me the whole time. Other players, other roles have changed a few times. We did have a stretch where the original band was together for a little over five years.

G: Are the arrangements you use similar to what Frank wrote, or is there a looseness to it at all?

DZ: What’s important for people to understand is I treat this like a repertory ensemble. They’re playing serious works of a composer. We stay very strict to the composed parts of the material, but there’s also improvisation required in the compositions. That’s where things will be more our own vocabulary.

If there’s any change at all, it’s in terms of the instrumentation. I will be playing parts that weren’t normally played on guitar, but the notes are there. It’s just what we can work in our sixpiece band.

The good news is that with technology you can have good-sounding sample libraries where you play things like marimba on a keyboard. With two keyboards, we can have multiple parts and a saxophone playing at the same time. There’s also sound design, so we can create the right landscape that’s evocative of the era of whichever songs we’re doing. We use records and tape recording as sources for things like that.

G: I hadn’t listened to One Size Fits All since the summer it was released. Hearing it today, I recognize it as part of a trilogy with Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe. They’re all intertwined in terms of style and subject matter. How difficult is it to recreate?

DZ: Those records were all recorded at the same time and were released separately not long afterward. The hardest song on One Size Fits All is “Inca Roads.” It’s got some hard interlude sections. It’s the first song out of the gate, so you have to be ready. “You gotta put your big boy pants on now.”

In a way, it’s being introduced to a new audience. There’s nothing out there like it. That in and of itself is quite an accomplishment. There’s not too many people you can say created a style that’s unique to them. Frank’s definitely one of them.

He created a system to make music that has the feel of a living, breathing entity, because every time you play it, it’s a new adventure. We can play “Inca Roads” every night and it’s going to be different every time. There’s a lot of songs he wrote that are like that.

G: What can you tell me about the guitar class you’re holding before the show?

DZ: A lot of people have asked me, “How did you learn this music and what did you do to change your style? It seems you’re doing things differently than you used to.” Because of those kinds of questions I started a camp called Dweezilla, a three-day, total-immersion guitar camp. I’ve been busy and haven’t been able to do it the last couple of years, so I took it on the road.

People can come and get a sense of what I worked on to change my approach to guitar playing. I concentrate on exploring what you can change with what you know. People plateau after playing for a certain time and I give them ideas that free them from the boxes they might find themselves in.

The Austin Chronicle

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/mu ... zil-zappa/

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:24 am 

HJ wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Yeah! Everything should be free. Great idea. Can I be on the board deciding on who should work for free?

I had a piano teacher when I was a kid. She took money from my parents for teaching me stuff. I see now how she deceived us!

Actually, I think DZ should charge you 100 dollars per "shape".

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:55 am 

Fretboard Freedom spoonerizes to fretfree boredom. Not sure who came up with the name but I wish (s)he'd put more thought into those things.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:24 pm 

fret
bored
NOT free
dumb

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:04 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
HJ wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Actually, I think DZ should charge you 100 dollars per "shape".

OK. I wouldn't pay that price. And so what? More suggestions for your planning economy? :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:16 pm 

I ordered 20, to be as free as possible.

Shapes: The box, the lower case l, the v, the wave with the slide, the rectangle, and the repeating finger cobra.

Bonus disc: Colors and Numbers.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 am 

ok, i didn't plan on doing this.
i didn't want it to appear as if i was tooting my own horn, but...
what the hell, let kindness become contagious.

i have a guitarology as well
that i offer FOR FREE.
i call it the waffle hand approach.
it is easy and it is fun. in 7 steps!

1. plug in waffle iron.
2. turn waffle iron on.
3. let waffle iron get hot.
4 place fretboard hand inside waffle iron.
5. close waffle iron.
6. remove hand at own discretion (do not overthink this one, no one is holding a stopwatch!).
7. now... play guitar with your new (and improved) waffle hand!

requests fulfilled via private message ONLY.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:19 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

I've been playing a long time.

I'll take hints, tips etc wherever I can get them.
Some I've paid for, some from magazines, some from fellow players.
Whatever.

There's a lot to learn, particularly at the start.

So what if he charges money for lessons?

DM. You frequently come across as an arrogant prick when you talk about other musicians.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:17 pm 

Quilt wrote:
DM. You frequently come across as an arrogant prick when you talk about other musicians.

It's intentional.

Technically, with DZ's system, you could be completely deaf and still play a great guitar solo. Amazing!

Buck Dharma giving it all up for free. (want some ideas? this is a goldmine)....
http://www.buckdharma.com/Guitar/Chords/chords.html

Dickey Betts takes the time to show the world how to play Jessica...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1LHkTs4Mw

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:36 am 

On Dweezil Zappa, and his father's music from the future

By Chris Starrs news@onlineathens.com – updated Sunday, May 3, 2015 - 5:00am

Since 2006, Dweezil Zappa has been crisscrossing the globe with his colleagues in the “repertory ensemble” known as Zappa Plays Zappa, reaching out to a new generation of listeners and satisfying a considerable group of long-time fans of the work of his late father Frank Zappa, who gleefully managed to be both an icon and an iconoclast during his too-short life.
Dipping deep into the well of his father’s canon, Zappa has headlined hundreds of concerts in the last decade, performing everything from the scabrous to the ethereal, and he admits to plenty of internal head shaking when it is suggested he attempt to update his father’s sound.
“People always say, ‘When you’re trying to get a new audience, don’t you have to change it and modernize it?’ And the answer is no – this music is from the future,” Zappa said during a recent phone interview. “It’s beyond current — it’s ahead of its time. I don’t change it because I’m not going to improve it; it’s great the way it is.”
One of the greatest song collections in Zappa the elder’s catalog is the subject of Zappa Plays Zappa’s 2015 tour, which comes to the Georgia Theatre on Wednesday. This year marks the 40th anniversary of the release of “One Size Fits All,” the final album credited to the Mothers of Invention and a favorite of Zappafiles everywhere, thanks in no small part to classic songs like “Inca Roads,” “Po-Jama People” and “Andy,” among many others.
“Knowing this was the 40-year anniversary of the record, which was a popular fan favorite, we thought it would be fun to play the whole record and then do another 90 minutes or so of music from throughout Frank’s career,” Zappa, who will also host a guitar master class at 4 p.m. the day of the show at the Georgia Theatre, said.
When asked about the special challenges associated with recreating “One Size Fits All,” Zappa pointed to the album’s opener, “Inca Roads,” which features one of his father’s most beloved guitar solos and most intricate sonic arrangements.
“The hardest song on the record is ‘Inca Roads,’ and it’s the first song out of the gate,” said Zappa, who noted that Covington resident Jim “Bird” Youmans, who played on the “One Size Fits All” album also played with Frank Zappa on the 1979 guitar duet “Sleep Dirt.” “The rest of the record has a bunch of stuff that’s still challenging, but it’s really fun. It’s a good balance of melodic material on there and it suits the band.
“For us, ‘Inca Roads’ is probably the hardest thing to play, and that would be the case if it was on its own anywhere in the show – it’s always one where you have to take extra care to be sure you’ve got it right.”
Although the Zappa Plays Zappa roadshow has been all over the world, Wednesday’s show marks the band’s Athens debut.
“We’re always looking for places to play that can bring out a new audience and Athens is the kind of place that has a young music scene and has had one for a while, so we’re trying to see if people want to come and check out this music,” he said.
After spending most of the last decade exploring his father’s body of work, Zappa is set to release his first solo album in 10 years, “Via Zamatta” (named after the street where Zappa’s grandfather lived in Partinico, Sicily, before emigrating to America – the street has since been renamed “Via Frank Zappa”), which features the only song the two Zappas ever wrote together and was financed through crowdfunding (through PledgeMusic.com).
“The new record is sort of a combination of all the thing that made me want to make music,” Zappa, who has released five solo albums and two albums with his brother Ahmet, said. “I decided to do a little bit of an introspective journey and get in a lot of different influences that made me interested in music and put them into some different songs. It came out in very different ways.”
Zappa was particularly stoked about “Dragon Master,” the writing collaboration with his father, which utilizes the famous Zappa disposition to poke holes in the heavy metal genre.
“There’s a song on the record that my dad wrote the lyrics to and he asked me to write the music,” Zappa said. “It’s a super heavy metal song that he wrote as a joke heavy metal song. There are definitely layers of things happening on this. The average metal fan won’t hear a joke in there. They’ll hear full-on metal. The song is somewhere between Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath and it talks about Satan and the heavy metal imagery some people live for.”
In many ways, Frank Zappa could be considered the father of crowdfunding as he spent much of his energies recording rock albums and playing concerts in hockey arenas to earn the money to pay for his orchestral productions.
When asked if he felt his father – who would be 71 now – could utilize modern-day crowdfunding, Zappa said, “There’s so much in the world of technology he would have been a driving force behind. If you read his book, ‘The Real Frank Zappa Book,’ there’s a page towards the end where it shows he had applied for a patent on a music delivery system that’s basically what iTunes is today. And he was talking about that in the late 1970s and 80s. He knew what was coming. With his social skills, (crowdfunding) would have been pretty good.”

Five Fine Solos
Dweezil Zappa has said it took years of practice to be able to play some of his father’s more challenging music, and there’s no lack of examples of Frank Zappa’s six-string wizardry stretched across the 100 albums released under his name in the last 45-plus years. Here’s one listener’s list of five favored Frank Zappa solos.
“Muffin Man”: From the 1975 album “Bongo Fury,” the solo that closes the album is much like a musical hailstorm, raining down speed and technique behind a furious rhythmic buzz provided by drummer Terry Bozzio and bassist Tom Fowler.
“Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy”: Also from “Bongo Fury” (which featured one of the final recorded collaborations between Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart), the song provides an excellent representation of Zappa in the 1970s – a risqué song with a thunderous solo presented much like “Muffin Man,” a coda that threatens to wear out the artist’s wah-wah pedal.
“Inca Roads”: From “One Size Fits All,” 1975. Perhaps the first example of Zappa mixing media, what he called xenochrony. Zappa dropped a guitar solo recorded in 1974 in Finland in the middle of the studio recording of the song, a technique he would return to again and again. The solo is befitting of the lyrics describing aliens visiting earth.
“Hungry Freaks, Daddy”: The first song on the first Mothers of Invention album, “Freak Out!” released in 1966. Although the song’s lyrical content definitely shows its age, Zappa’s slicing guitar foray (of exactly one minute, meshing nicely with somebody playing the xylophone in the background) can almost make one overlook the Mothers’ unapologetic early attempt at shock rock.
“Sleep Dirt”: Title cut on the 1979 album of the same name, released without Zappa’s permission during his long legal struggle with Warner Brothers Records, and then re-released in 1996 posthumously as part of Zappa’s infamous “Läther” album. For all of the many recordings of Zappa guitar solos that have been unleashed on the market, there are few acoustic examples. This rights that wrong and features Covington resident James “Bird” Youmans on second guitar.
-Chris Starrs

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:38 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
... Buck Dharma giving it all up for free ...
another freebie