Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:46 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:55 pm 

That New Maternity thing is one of those gray area releases from a radio show or something so that one isn't on the ZFT but the Road Tapes obviously is. Does anybody know the legalities of this stuff? Are the musicians entitled to anything from archival releases. Arthur Barrow brought this up about BeatThe Boots in his book. Rhino Records told him to call Gail about that issue and you can probably guess how that went. This happens all the time though so you would think there would be some legal precedent.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 am 

I believe generally speaking , it is in the will of the last owner, other than that a judge will decide.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:17 am 

KUIII wrote:
That New Maternity thing is one of those gray area releases from a radio show or something so that one isn't on the ZFT but the Road Tapes obviously is. Does anybody know the legalities of this stuff? Are the musicians entitled to anything from archival releases. Arthur Barrow brought this up about BeatThe Boots in his book. Rhino Records told him to call Gail about that issue and you can probably guess how that went. This happens all the time though so you would think there would be some legal precedent.

When the Old Masters 1 came out, Don Preston and others sued Frank. I never heard of a decision. I remember Bruce had to pull from the suit before he could join the last band. So around 87 it was not seetled. But I honestly don't know.

My guess is that they have no rights at all. They were hired musicians.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 am 

HJ wrote:
KUIII wrote:

When the Old Masters 1 came out, Don Preston and others sued Frank. I never heard of a decision. I remember Bruce had to pull from the suit before he could join the last band. So around 87 it was not seetled. But I honestly don't know.

Info here: http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/notes/1985.html

It was eventually settled out of court.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:03 pm 

KUIII wrote:

It all comes down to lawyers. Or money. Sometimes guns. (nod to W Zevon) And the original arrangement, of course.
Or Suge Knight's boys holding Vanila Ice by the ankles over the balcony etc...

I know of one case where a US Marshal was sent.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:11 pm 

kuiii wrote:
...that one isn't on the ZFT but the Road Tapes obviously is...
maybe not so obvious to howie ... maybe he thinks road tapes 3 is a bootleg ¿

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:37 am 

dang. now that the ZFT has a deal with a (many) billion dollar company, I imagine this sort of thing could get worse.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:11 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
It was eventually settled out of court.

Would love to know the sums to each person. I can't imagine it was more than 750,000 each. But who knows?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:28 am 

HJ wrote:
KUIII wrote:

It works that way for classical orchestras, but for bands that would be a different matter, at least out here.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:33 pm 

HJ wrote:

Pretty much. The deal was done years ago. Whatever it was. Unless they have a brutally effective lawyer.

Sometimes it actually works out that you can rely on the generosity/fairness of the person or persons who are getting compensated.

Claire Tory got her damn royalties for Great Gig In The Sky (as a songwriter) but, the way I see it, she didn't legally deserve 'em any more than the guy who played Sax on Money. It's an increasingly shady area.

Check out the collection of magazine articles Save The Last Dance For Satan by Nick Tosches for some interesting tales from the early days of the rock and roll record business.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:15 pm 

deleted because it was kinda stupid