Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm 

wow just found this!

Banned From Utopia Fall Tour 2014 Consisting of 5 of Frank Zappas' band members.

Robert (Bobby) Martin -Frank Zappa 1981-88 - vocals, keyboards, sax, French horn
Ray White - Frank Zappa 1978-84 - vocals, guitar
Tom Fowler - Frank Zappa 1973-75, 1978 - bass guitar
Albert Wing - Frank Zappa 1988 - tenor sax, soprano sax
Chad Wackerman - Frank Zappa 1981-88 - drums
Jamie Kime - Zappa Plays Zappa 2006 - 2012 guitar, vocals

http://www.multimartinmusic.com/banned_ ... _tours.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:57 am 

I sure hope they tour the USA after this tour. I saw them back in 1999 with most of the FZ '88 horn section.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:14 pm 

I'm with you Dave, I'll be all over this one!... :!:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 pm 

If you really want to see them, don't post about them here. Stick to their sites, no sense pissin' off Gail anymore than necessary. :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:59 pm 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
If you really want to see them, don't post about them here. Stick to their sites, no sense pissin' off Gail anymore than necessary. :idea:

Gail Z reads this forum?

Is Bobby Martin any less annoying now then he was in the '88 band? He was easily the worst part of that band.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:26 pm 

Gail has her spies and BM's a nice guy. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:38 pm 

Gail has spies reading the forum? Goddamn.

I don't doubt BM's a nice guy. Every time I have to look at him or hear him sing in the footage from the '88 shows I get annoyed. My problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Gail has spies reading the forum? Goddamn.

I don't doubt BM's a nice guy. Every time I have to look at him or hear him sing in the footage from the '88 shows I get annoyed. My problem.

He's been nice to me when I've talked to him. He doesn't come off conceited, just another musician having fun with FZ's music.

You know anyone reading this could use it to kiss up to GZ if they wanted too and she is a litigious person when it comes to FZ's music. So spies, not really. Goody two shoes, there's a plenty...just sayin'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:04 pm 

BM is awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:22 pm 

Did you have a BM today, Plook? :wink:

Alright, gentlemen. I realized that I should not be admitting to how Bobby Martin makes me feel when watching footage of the '88 band. I should have kept that to myself. It's not the mullet (what do I care?) or the showbizness vibe so much as the fact that he's the guy singing Enema Bandit. I hate it. Can't Ike sing it? Oh well. Good for BM, tough shit for me. Although, I suspect at least a couple members of that band agree with me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:27 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Alright, gentlemen. I realized that I should not be admitting to how Bobby Martin makes me feel when watching footage of the '88 band. I should have kept that to myself. It's not the mullet (what do I care?) or the showbizness vibe so much as the fact that he's the guy singing Enema Bandit. I hate it. Can't Ike sing it? Oh well. Good for BM, tough shit for me. Although, I suspect at least a couple members of that band agree with me.

Frank's concerts were "Shows" they had that Johnny Carson Mike Douglas Variety Show feel to them (Frank would often used that Johnny Carson show host voice you hear in live recordings), that's one of the things I loved, it was more than a concert... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:48 pm 

Plook wrote:
Frank's concerts were "Shows" they had that Johnny Carson Mike Douglas Variety Show feel to them

True enough. But with showbiz it comes down to the personality and if you don't like the personality there is nothing else left. With music there is still something left....talent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 pm 

This is quite a line up. And Jamie Kime is his own guitar player which makes it even more interesting. Of course they won't be coming to OZ. Bobby Martin owns Whippin' Post and he was always a good contrast to the other singers. That's what I liked about Adrian Belew when he was in the band.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 pm 

polydigm wrote:
This is quite a line up. And Jamie Kime is his own guitar player which makes it even more interesting. Of course they won't be coming to OZ. Bobby Martin owns Whippin' Post and he was always a good contrast to the other singers. That's what I liked about Adrian Belew when he was in the band.

I agree, I like this line up and I'll catch their show if they play near me. Who knows they might even tour OZ with two shows in Adelaide.

DM: At the time of the mullet, I think he was married to Cybil Sheppard. That would explain the 'tude and the haircut. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:14 pm 

TITS!

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:36 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

I have NEVER heard any disrespect towards Bobby from any of his band mates. I know Ike thought he was a great singer (he told me). I know Frank thought he was a great singer from interviews and the fact that, well, he was an occasional lead singer and frequent harmony singer for FZ from 1981-88. You're entitled to your opinion to be sure. I value it less every time I hear it though.

I'll go crawl back under my rock now. Have a nice day!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
polydigm wrote:

I agree, I like this line up and I'll catch their show if they play near me. Who knows they might even tour OZ with two shows in Adelaide.

DM: At the time of the mullet, I think he was married to Cybil Sheppard. That would explain the 'tude and the haircut. :wink:

I'll have to look back at the '88 video but I don't remember Robert with an excessive mullet or anything. I only remember him with short hair. As for a 'tude' I don't recall anything unusual there either. KK - the Cybil Sheppard thing happened later in the '90's. They never got married but were together about four years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:17 pm 

KUIII wrote:
You're entitled to your opinion to be sure. I value it less every time I hear it though.

You like David Lee Roth solo albums.

polydigm wrote:
Bobby Martin owns Whippin' Post

That'll be a surprise to Duane Allman.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
KUIII wrote:
You're entitled to your opinion to be sure. I value it less every time I hear it though.

You like David Lee Roth solo albums.

polydigm wrote:
Bobby Martin owns Whippin' Post

That'll be a surprise to Duane Allman.

No apologies for liking the first two DLR albums. Vai was pretty smoking on those and I like Roth's showbizzy camp. I know Roth rubs a lot of people the wrong way so I'll give you that.

While, I'm sure Duane contributed mightily to Whipping Post with his guitar, Greg Allman was the writer, keyboard player and singer of the song so I think that's who you're referring to.

I'm sorry DM. If you think Robert Martin sucks that's OK. I just get a little emotional when you start dissing my faves.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 pm 

I am familiar with the writing credits on Whipping Post. Very familiar. Greg owns the writing credit but...
Duane Allman OWNS Whipping Post.

Man, I just heard the Dickey Betts tune, Bougainvillea for the first time 3 or 4 nights ago. That guitar is incredible. One of his best.

I don't think Bobby Martin sucks! Don't be ridiculous. No one who plays with FZ sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:29 am 

I noticed on the '88 tour that Bobby sings all of Ray White's old songs. Maybe Frank made him do it out of necessity because he didn't sing much lead before that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:48 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I am familiar with the writing credits on Whipping Post. Very familiar. Greg owns the writing credit but...
Duane Allman OWNS Whipping Post.

Man, I just heard the Dickey Betts tune, Bougainvillea for the first time 3 or 4 nights ago. That guitar is incredible. One of his best.

I don't think Bobby Martin sucks! Don't be ridiculous. No one who plays with FZ sucks.

Easy. Calm down, fanboy. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:20 pm 

Alright I am calm. Have you heard bougainvillea, covead? Been awhile since a guitar solo turned my head around like that.

Anyway...bobby Martin! Greatest Zappa vocalist ever!!! Still, Ike looks like he wishes he was singing enema bandit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:04 pm 

I like Bobby Martin.

And since we're way off topic here anyway, this is for those who have not heard the wonderful {in my opinion} song that downer is referring to. Have always loved this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmwULnL62g

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:15 pm 

^ Thanks, man. I've basically been thinking of that guitar performance for 4 days straight now. If Dickey Betts ever did a better solo (which did not appear on an Allman Brothers album pre 1982) please point me in the right direction. Lot of spiritual nourishment in those guitar parts.

I think I've changed my mind about B Martin. Thanks to all of you. Now I hope you all understand why I make these posts. I'm trying to see what I'm missing with some of these guys Zappa hired. What he found great about them. Like I said, it's my problem.