Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 pm 

zappagirl wrote:
I forgot to say happy birthday. How rude of me, please forgive. :P

No worries. Once I doubled the drinking age, I no longer worry about it. :wink:

The irony of it all is that when I was 16, I could walk in any convenience store in town and buy beer. Now, I have to show my ID every time to people who sell it to me on a regular basis. When I still smoked Camels, I always had to show my ID. Hell, we had a smoking area when I was in high school. If you picture the movie Dazed And Confused, then remove all the paddling, and that's what it was like growing up here. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:25 am 

Philostopher wrote:
zappagirl wrote:

The irony of it all is that when I was 16, I could walk in any convenience store in town and buy beer. Now, I have to show my ID every time to people who sell it to me on a regular basis. When I still smoked Camels, I always had to show my ID. Hell, we had a smoking area when I was in high school. If you picture the movie Dazed And Confused, then remove all the paddling, and that's what it was like growing up here. :mrgreen:

Is that a couple of banjos I hear playing in the background Philo'? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:30 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
zappagirl wrote:

Is that a couple of banjos I hear playing in the background Philo'? :wink:

Wrong movie mate. :wink:
All jokes aside, there are certainly places in the swamps that I have no desire to go to. I wouldn't say it compares to Deliverance, but just the same. My ass ain't going there, so to speak. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:46 am 

Ah yes, we had a "smokers' alley" too.
Luckily, cigs were never one of my things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:04 am 

We got detention if we got caught smoking at school. So I just never got caught.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 am 

We had a smoke out at my scholl in '76 because they said you couldn't smoke on school grounds, the pot heads and butt heads united... :!:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:09 pm 

Was going to change my avatar to give y'all a break from my ugly mug, then I realized how many posts no longer made any sense whatsoever. :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:17 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:

Our smoking area at school was out by the incinerator where they burnt the school's trash. It was behind the school. It's where all the pot heads took their lunch break. They called it the "smoking bench", although there were no benches. Everybody just stood in circles. I never understood that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:

Our smoking area at school was out by the incinerator where they burnt the school's trash. It was behind the school. It's where all the pot heads took their lunch break. They called it the "smoking bench", although there were no benches. Everybody just stood in circles. I never understood that?

Years before you attended the school Uncle Philo' there were two benches by the incinerator, then on one particularly cold winters day they were chopped up and used for fire wood to keep the smokers from contracting hypothermia.... :smoke:

:arrow: Check out the 1967 yearbook, I think there's pictures :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:32 am 

So there's no truth to that "Randy headbutted the bench" story then?

:?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:13 am 

Philostopher wrote:
Was going to change my avatar to give y'all a break from my ugly mug, then I realized how many posts no longer made any sense whatsoever. :|

Now how about a recent one?
Perhaps a pic of you wearing your favorite bolo tie.
Or... flashing "the shocker" to the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:

Years before you attended the school Uncle Philo' there were two benches by the incinerator, then on one particularly cold winters day they were chopped up and used for fire wood to keep the smokers from contracting hypothermia.... :smoke:

:arrow: Check out the 1967 yearbook, I think there's pictures :wink:

Your story would be funny except for one thing. My class {'84} was the first to attend all 4 years at the newly built high school in town. The seniors that entered when I was a freshman didn't even have time to pick on us because we were all in a new environment. :mrgreen:

lapsed maps wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

Now how about a recent one?
Perhaps a pic of you wearing your favorite bolo tie.
Or... flashing "the shocker" to the camera.

There's a recent one of me here somewhere. That's all you get. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:18 pm 

My parents are taking me and Malachi to our favorite restaurant this evening for my birthday. I love this place!

http://www.meomios.com/PARIS_LANDING_LOCATION.php

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:58 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
My parents are taking me and Malachi to our favorite restaurant this evening for my birthday. I love this place!

http://www.meomios.com/PARIS_LANDING_LOCATION.php

Enjoy my friend... :!:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 am 

^^^ Thanks bro! I had the Cajun Catfish Fillets. Comes with rice {which I could, and have at times lived on in my lifetime}, corn on the cob, breadstick, and a salad. Great food and an awesome time. I'm usually not into the going out to eat thing, but I had a nice time last night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 am 

*jealouses*

What is the voo doo dust?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:56 am 

'cos I don't eat meat, I'd not eat 'jerk' anything.
But that word associated with food just isn't right.
Jerk scrambled eggs anyone???
TT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:40 am 

Philostopher wrote:
^^^ Thanks bro! I had the Cajun Catfish Fillets. Comes with rice {which I could, and have at times lived on in my lifetime}, corn on the cob, breadstick, and a salad. Great food and an awesome time. I'm usually not into the going out to eat thing, but I had a nice time last night.

I like Cajun food, I found a Cajun Prime Rib in Oklahoma City that I still dream about...normally I will not eat steak at a restaurant since I can cook it better than most, but this one knocked my socks off... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:48 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
*jealouses*

What is the voo doo dust?

I've never had anything with the voodoo dust. I assume it is a blend of Cajun spices. My son has had the burger, and says it is good. I've had the boudin {which is awesome}, and this is one of the few places I've ever eaten that knows how to fry oysters. I've had the fried oyster bucket several times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 pm 

I save my beer cans. And when I've gathered up several garbage bags full, I take them to the recycling center. I received $12.65 today for 23 lbs. Due to the amount of people who have been selling stolen scrap metal to the recycling center, you now have to give them a right thumbprint. What the fuck man? I have to give a thumbprint to sell off some empty beer cans? What a fucked up society we live in. :!:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:21 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
I save my beer cans. And when I've gathered up several garbage bags full, I take them to the recycling center. I received $12.65 today for 23 lbs. Due to the amount of people who have been selling stolen scrap metal to the recycling center, you now have to give them a right thumbprint. What the fuck man? I have to give a thumbprint to sell off some empty beer cans? What a fucked up society we live in. :!:

In God they trust Philo'....everyone else better have photo ID, or leave a thumb print. It's much the same in NZ...Working in the self storage industry, we frequently cut off padlocks. Once a year I take a couple of buckets full to the scrapo..I'm wearing a uniform, driving a company vehicle and the majority of the padlocks are branded with the company logo and still I get my photo taken beside the vehicle's registration plate and have to produce photo ID.
The irony is the scrap dealer is a personal friend and is in no doubt about the origin of the locks...."Rules is rules"....we're not quite down to the thumb print stage......yet :P

Glad to hear you got yourself off the maroon sofa and out for a meal with your nearest and dearest 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:39 am 

Philostopher wrote:
This is what my son got me for my birthday.

It will be this weekend before I can watch it though. Having a 3 day weekend will make up for that.

I'm sure there is a thread for this, but let's face it. Unless you're following this thread, you probably don't give two shits what my fucking opinion is. So, here goes. I've watched this twice now, and I love it! Yes, as downer has pointed out Dweezil is not Frank. But what I see are a bunch of talented musicians having a hell of a fucking time, while also doing Frank's music some pretty good justice. They look much happier on stage than the '88 band does on the Barcelona DVD, in my opinion. It surely won't find it's way on my playlist as much as Frank's DVDs, but it won't sit on my shelf collecting dust either.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:12 pm 

Glad you like it Philo, good for you... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:31 pm 

Great gift, I wish the other two shows they filmed would come out.

Dweezil is no Frank but a lot of times he crafts setlists I prefer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next