Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:46 am 

We talk about some of this stuff on Plook's thread and on the concerts thread but I thought we could create a page where we could list upcoming events, concerts, etc. that might be of interest to us Zappa-minded folks living in the Western part of the U.S. to possibly get together. For example, a few of us are going to a Tubes concert in Sacramento this Saturday. Plook, Kapt. Kiirk, and I all live in Northern California but I would like to see other Left Coasters participating (anybody is welcome to comment though).

I see concerts all the time that I would like to go to if time and money weren't an issue so everything I post I won't be going to but it's nice to know what's happening. Anyway, here's something I just saw that looks like fun. It's in LA which is a long way away for me but check it out.

www.festivalsupreme.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:24 am 

King Crimson - the Warfield/San Francisco - Oct. 3 & 4.

Only other west coast dates are Sept. 30 & Oct. 1 in LA and Oct. 6 in Seattle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:01 am 

GrandMothers of Invention - June 27th - Petaluma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:12 pm 

KUIII wrote:
King Crimson - the Warfield/San Francisco - Oct. 3 & 4.

Only other west coast dates are Sept. 30 & Oct. 1 in LA and Oct. 6 in Seattle.

I'll be at one of the LA shows for sure. On sale Friday. No VIP either, but I may go for the 150.00 tix. To anyone who is going to purchase the top $ tickets for the Orpheum LA shows: Do not select tickets against the side walls as the view is totally obstructed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 pm 

Ian Anderson tix for the Redding, CA show go on sale 6/17. I will definitely go to this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:45 pm 

This thread might be proving to be redundant but I'll soldier on anyway for awhile.

Allan Holdsworth - Harlows/Sacramento/August 30 - ticket secured.

Ian Anderson - Cascade Theater/Redding, CA/Sept. 15 - Tix on sale tomorrow at 11:00am - I'm in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:40 pm 

I just got a ticket alert for The Best of Jethro Tull with Ian Anderson in late December I'm undecided...
your experience will be my guide KUIII

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:10 pm 

OK. I saw JT in 2000 and I thought they were great and again maybe five years ago when I thought they were just OK. I'll let you know. Ian's performing under his own name now (Ian Anderson IS Jethro Tull and Jethro Tull IS Ian Anderson IMO). They're supposed to play the new album plus a best of set. I just got the new album and it's a grower so I don't know if most would appreciate it if they weren't familiar with it. The best of set should appeal to any fan of the band if he (Ian) doesn't decide to drastically rearrange Aqualung like he did the last time I saw him (them).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:12 am 

Here's the TicketMaster blurb

THE BEST OF JETHRO TULL
WITH IAN ANDERSON

Saturday 20th of December, 8.00pm
LIVE at The Civic

Tickets*: $119.00 - $175.00

After two magic years on the road with the Thick As A Brick shows, legendary Prog Rock icon
Ian Anderson is finalising details of the set for his December 2014 tour to New Zealand, following the release of a new concept album Homo Erraticus earlier this year.

Songs from Homo Erraticus will be played along with a collection of his favourite Tull classics, including Thick as Brick 1&2, Living in the Past, Bouree, Teacher, Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die, My God, Aqualung and Locomotive Breath. The performance will be illustrated and complemented by videos and astounding theatrical settings ‘to bring a tear to the eye’, an enthusiastic Anderson declared.

Ian will bring his band of musicians featuring John O'Hara on keyboards, David Goodier on bass guitar, Florian Opahle on electric guitar, Scott Hammond on drums and Ryan O'Donnell on guest vocals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:31 am 

I will be in SF visiting some friends from July 5-11 if anyone has any suggestions of shows to see or has interest in maybe getting together for a drink perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:29 pm 

duchamp wrote:
I will be in SF visiting some friends from July 5-11 if anyone has any suggestions of shows to see or has interest in maybe getting together for a drink perhaps.

Hell yes, let me check my Calendar, maybe you can make a trip out Davis (little over an hour away depending on where you are staying)and me, KU, and Kapt Kiirk can meet you for something... :idea:

Great thread KU... :!:

I'm thinking of going to see ZPZ in SLO in August... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:10 pm 

Sounds great. I am looking for excuses to visit places just a bit outside of town anyway. I have been to SF 3-4 times and look forward to seeing the outskirts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56 pm 

Plook wrote:
duchamp wrote:

Hell yes, let me check my Calendar, maybe you can make a trip out Davis (little over an hour away depending on where you are staying)and me, KU, and Kapt Kiirk can meet you for something... :idea:

I'm open to suggestions. I don't have anything planned July 4th weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 am 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
duchamp wrote:

I'm open to suggestions. I don't have anything planned July 4th weekend.

On the 4th of July from my roof, I watch the Davis, Winters, Dixon, Woodland and Sac, fireworks shows.
The Davis Music Festival is coming up on 6/21 from 3:45pm to 11:00pm-12:00am. I'll be working one or two of the venues. It's a gas, there's around 25 bands or so. We close down the streets and bands play in the open or inside. Many styles and varieties to choose from, jazz, rock, indie, country-rock, blues, metal, it's all good. A lot of the Bay Area bands play this venue.

Sofia's Tia Kitchen has a band on 7/5 and Harlow's in Sac. has a BeaTles tribute concert (that never was) on the same night.

Duchamp, let slime.o know when your in SF, he usually knows what's what in the city. There's always live music here in Davis and in Sac too. :D 8)

The GrandMothers are at Yoshi's/Oakland on June 28th, a Sat night. 8)

The 3rd of July will find me in the Butte County Courthouse...again. I hope I'm out in time to catch the last Amtrack bus/train to Sac. They've got a tiger/Kaptain by the tail it's plain to see. :roll: :evil: :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:57 am 

Since he is in town starting the 5th why don't we plan to meet in Davis on the 6th (its a Sunday), that would be the best chance for us all to get there (Dean you can ride down with me if you drive to my place). What do you all say?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:48 am 

Plook wrote:
Since he is in town starting the 5th why don't we plan to meet in Davis on the 6th (its a Sunday), that would be the best chance for us all to get there (Dean you can ride down with me if you drive to my place). What do you all say?

Fine by me. The Amtrack from SF to Davis is a beautiful ride along the SF and San Pablo Bays with great views of the Mothball fleet. Takes roughly an hour. I think we have music in the park in Davis on Sundays too. I'll check it out. :D 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:10 am 

Plook wrote:

Works for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:00 pm 

Balls in your court duchamp, if you want to set it up PM me and I will give you my E-mail and Phone info...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:09 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Here's the TicketMaster blurb

THE BEST OF JETHRO TULL
WITH IAN ANDERSON

Saturday 20th of December, 8.00pm
LIVE at The Civic

Tickets*: $119.00 - $175.00

After two magic years on the road with the Thick As A Brick shows, legendary Prog Rock icon
Ian Anderson is finalising details of the set for his December 2014 tour to New Zealand, following the release of a new concept album Homo Erraticus earlier this year.

Songs from Homo Erraticus will be played along with a collection of his favourite Tull classics, including Thick as Brick 1&2, Living in the Past, Bouree, Teacher, Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die, My God, Aqualung and Locomotive Breath. The performance will be illustrated and complemented by videos and astounding theatrical settings ‘to bring a tear to the eye’, an enthusiastic Anderson declared.

Ian will bring his band of musicians featuring John O'Hara on keyboards, David Goodier on bass guitar, Florian Opahle on electric guitar, Scott Hammond on drums and Ryan O'Donnell on guest vocals.

Dave-O says Go-O
Seriously, the bands real tight, down-under dude! 8)

Oh, and there's a Wellington show also.
http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows/sho ... RO14&v=WSJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 pm 

Who is inthe Grandmothers line-up?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm 

Plook wrote:
Who is inthe Grandmothers line-up?

Don Preston, Bunk Gardner, and Dave Parlato are the alumni rounded out by two other guys. They are billing this tour "Freak Out - The Early Zappa Years". They are in Petaluma June 27 and Oakland June 28.

http://www.grandmothersofinvention.com.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:46 pm 

The Davis Music Festival is this weekend. 50 bands at 11 venues. $23 bucks gets ya 3 days of music. I've got an extra bedroom if anyone wants to check the DMF out, as all the rooms in town are booked for this event. I'll be working the door on Sat. at 2 different venues from 7-9pm at the I00F Oddfellows Hall & 10-12 midnight at Sofie's Thai Kitchen. Some of the streets will be blocked off Sat. for the shows outside in the street, in your face! The DMF has a FB page if you want to check out the times, venues and bands. 8) :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:16 am 

Unfortunately I am tied up the next 10 days, but I am thinking of making a run at the SLO ZPZ gig, any thoughts?... :?:

Also you guys need to save up some money for Vegas in September so we can meet up with PIB there... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:35 am 

Plook, I'd consider a go at SLO. I could throw in for gas and a room and probably get that Friday off.

Vegas probably not doable this year. Maybe next year if ZPZ or something else comes around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:27 am 

KUIII wrote:
Plook, I'd consider a go at SLO. I could throw in for gas and a room and probably get that Friday off.

Vegas probably not doable this year. Maybe next year if ZPZ or something else comes around.

I have a room hook up down there, let me check it out and I will get bac to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next