Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:29 pm 

Plook wrote:
:wink:
coevad wrote:
I'm a bassist you buttheads. :P

The night went well. Except for the DUI checkpoint half a mile down the road. We thought it would be dead all night. There were about 35 heads in the place at one point.[ Dave...

Dam cops...I knew you were a bassist, but I had to let it play out, sorry dave... :wink:

Who are your big bass heroes, Dave? Just curious, being the music nerd that I am.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 am 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
:wink:
coevad wrote:
I'm a bassist you buttheads. :P

The night went well. Except for the DUI checkpoint half a mile down the road. We thought it would be dead all night. There were about 35 heads in the place at one point.[ Dave...

Dam cops...I knew you were a bassist, but I had to let it play out, sorry dave... :wink:

Who are your big bass heroes, Dave? Just curious, being the music nerd that I am.

I don't really have any heros. I just like bass. And I play some guitar too. (at home)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:18 pm 

Ian Anderson on Monday. After payday and bills next Thursday I'll make a final decision on Living Colour in Petaluma October 3rd. Lodging is pretty expensive around there. The cheapest I could find was a Motel 6 for $96.00 about 3 miles away from the theater. The motel is supposed to be within walking distance of the Lagunitas Brewery though. Possibilities abound.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:43 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Ian Anderson on Monday. After payday and bills next Thursday I'll make a final decision on Living Colour in Petaluma October 3rd. Lodging is pretty expensive around there. The cheapest I could find was a Motel 6 for $96.00 about 3 miles away from the theater. The motel is supposed to be within walking distance of the Lagunitas Brewery though. Possibilities abound.

Aren't Lagunitas the guys that produced the Zappa range of beers?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:58 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:46 am 

KUIII wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Yep.

Thanks to e bay I have the Freak Out, Kill Ugly Radio, Lumpy Gravy and We’re Only In It For the Money beers....Thanks to GZ Lagunitas weren't allowed to continue the series :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 pm 

Hot and humid week ahead with Ian Anderson in town Thurs.

93deg. in the shade. 50% humidity. With relief in sight for the weekend. 8)

Enjoy your show tonight KU.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm 

I'll be watching out for your review KU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:06 am 

KUIII wrote:
Ian Anderson - Cascade Theater/Redding, CA/Sept. 15 - Tix on sale tomorrow at 11:00am - I'm in.

How was the show bro'? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 am 

Every post of three eyed KAPT.KIIIRK has to be moderated. I have no idea as to why I can't use one or two eyed KAPT.KIRK anymore. I almost got back on as two eyed, but that one went the way of the passenger pigeon too I recon.

Please hurry up and moderate already...thanx manx! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:03 am 

Ian Anderson show was very good. Nice old theater in downtown Redding. I had aisle seats Row M on the floor with my oldest son. Show started promptly at 7:30pm. The large movie screen provided a humorous intro with Ian's character in bed in a sanatorium with his band as the medical staff tending to him. When the band came out there was a riser on the left side of the stage for the keyboards and on the right for the drums, bass next to keyboards, guitar next to drums, with Ian in the middle forming an even front line. There was also a young co-lead vocalist/actor with a headset who moved from side to side occupying different positions trading lines with Ian or miming to the songs. Ian moved around a lot too as usual. They played the new album in it's entirety first set. If you plan on going to the show I'd recommend getting the album first and becoming familiar with it and it's themes. It's a very good album but somewhat subdued and cerebral. The backing film was very well produced and added a lot to the presentation. I found myself mesmerized by the images on the screen as much as the band. Anyways, after the conclusion of Homo Erraticus there was a 15-20 minute intermission and it was on to "The Best of Tull" set.

This brought the excitement level up quite a bit with the band launching into "Living In The Past" backed by archival footage of Ian (and sometimes other past Tull members) synched with the band. Ian narrated between songs to set things up and there was a neat digital clock on the screen in front of a melting clock that would spin (month/day/year) to the day each song was released. Besides, Living In The Past, they played With You There To Help Me, Critique Oblique, Sweet Dream, Too Old Too Rock 'n' Roll..., Songs From The Wood, Farm on The Freeway, Teacher, Aqualung, and the encore was Locomotive Breath. Again, the film for both sets was very well done and combined with the theatrical touches the band added it was quite the little production.

The sound was very good though with Ian's dense lyrics and his vocal style it was hard to make out the lyrics at times if you didn't already know what he was singing. Ian looked as fit and sprie as when I saw Tull five and 13 years ago.

On the way to the freeway after the show I was following a car with an FZ sticker on the back window and a personalized license plate that said "WWFZD". I thought that was pretty funny.

For you Nor Cal-ers, pretty nice, intimate theater (I saw ZPZ there five years ago). Hung out at a cool Irish pub just around the corner before the show and saw several other eateries and bars within the same block. It would be a cool place to hang for future shows if something good comes up. Anyways, I had a great time with my son and would say that this show is a no-brainer for Tull fans and highly recommended for any fan of prog or theatrical rock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:19 pm 

Nice review KU. I was at the DZpZ show at The Cascade theater too. Billy (The Mountain) Hulting handed me his set list and I had him take a picture of me. Then I took one of him...fairs, fair ya know. Your right, it is a nice area to hang before a show too. The Cascade isn't as plush as The Crest in Sac. and can get a little echo-e if it's not full.
I wonder when the Mods will post this. Probably when it's not relevant anymore. Just kidding Moderators!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:23 pm 

Cheers KU, tickets ordered!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:56 pm 

Crap! You better like the show or you're gonna hate me. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:56 pm 

With you there to help me. Cool! Does he ever play jack-a-lyn?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:05 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Not on this tour. I heard a few people quite appreciative of Critique Oblique from A Passion Play though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:19 pm 

Right on. I will have to dust off passion play to remind myself of that section. I have the chateau disaster recordings too I know it's on there

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:28 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Last time Jack-a-Lynn was played was on the Best Of Acoustic Tull tour 2007.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:34 pm 

Excellent review KU, wish I could have been there... :!:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Cheers KU, tickets ordered!

West coast NZ!

Legendary Prog Rock icon Ian Anderson brings his band to New Zealand for three concerts featuring the best of Jethro Tull songs, and tracks from his latest album Homo Erraticus. All set to jaw-dropping video backdrops, this show is Anderson at his best.

The down under tour gets a good chunk of Thick As A Brick.

http://youtu.be/joU7lpli-9U

Looks like the shows are selling out down there.

My show is tonight! :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:56 pm 

Magnificent performance last night by Ian Anderson. I waited until after the show to read KU's review. I didn't want to read anything about the video part. Good job my NorCal friend. It was great how perfectly timed it was. Definitely the best I've seen since the Roger Waters Dark Side & Wall tours.

Before the show they were playing some Beefheart over the PA. Then they switched to the video screen with some of Ian's friends live videos. Now I know how awesome Anna Phoebe is. http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A86.JyJ7 ... 41ieYDc34-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 pm 

KUIII, you didn't take down your post on Z-Girls thread because of my comment I hope. I really enjoyed it...well sort of anyway, it was pretty pedestrian wouldn't you agree? Sorry if I pierced your tough hide bro'! :|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 pm 

coevad wrote:
Magnificent performance last night by Ian Anderson. I waited until after the show to read KU's review. I didn't want to read anything about the video part. Good job my NorCal friend. It was great how perfectly timed it was. Definitely the best I've seen since the Roger Waters Dark Side & Wall tours.

Before the show they were playing some Beefheart over the PA. Then they switched to the video screen with some of Ian's friends live videos. Now I know how awesome Anna Phoebe is. http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A86.JyJ7 ... 41ieYDc34-

Thanks, Dave. It may have been the best synched video I've seen at a concert. What was particularly impressive was when they had video of the guitar player synched perfectly with his I've playing. They synched well too with young Ian during the "best of" set. Great images throughout.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:36 pm 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:

Thanks, Dave. It may have been the best synched video I've seen at a concert. What was particularly impressive was when they had video of the guitar player synched perfectly with his I've playing. They synched well too with young Ian during the "best of" set. Great images throughout.

I can hardly wait! I got a ticket to the concert in Wellington December 19th, and another for the concert in the hell hole that is Auckland on December 20th "greed is good"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 am 

"...and two Tull shows are great!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next