Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:16 am 

See ya there DS!  I'm the bald guy with the 'Lark's Tongues In Aspic' shirt making a nuisance of myself with a camera.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:29 pm 

They were excellent!  Last night's show was great fun and held several surprises.  These guys really do play the HELL out of FZ's catalogue, with an excellent sensibility about the music.  And with Nappy and Ike there... fucking awesome!<br><br>Here's what they played:<br><br>Packard Goose<br>Andy<br>Inca Roads<br>Stick It Out<br>Hungry Freaks, Daddy<br>You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here<br>Twenty Small Cigars<br>The Idiot Bastard Son<br>Cheepnis<br>Uncle Remus<br>The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing<br>I'm The Slime<br>-----INTERMISSION-----<br>San Ber'dino<br>The Illinois Enema Bandit<br>When The Lie's So Big<br>Wild Love<br>Yo Mama<br>Village Of The Sun<br>Echidna's Arf (Of You)<br>Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?<br>Uncle Meat "& Meat By-Products" [per Ike]<br>Advance Romance<br>Evelyn, A Modified Dog [on set list, not played :'(]<br>I'm So Cute [Seahag]<br>Florentine Pogen<br><br><br>Sometime early in the 2nd set, Bruce Bickford (a Seattleite) came up to spin an improvised tale he titled "Monster Road", a weird spoken tale which he was obviously making up as he went along.  It was pretty much awful, but spellbinding due mostly to the fact that, well... he's Bruce Bickford, live on stage!  After a few minutes he excused himself and fled the stage.  His creative thread had apparently frayed and he kinda lost his nerve.<br><br>Bickford is a weird guy - no big surprise.  He's 25 years older than the BB we remember from 'Baby Snakes', and he is quite gaunt at about 5' 6" and ~100 pounds... with a VERY far away look in his eyes.<br><br>It was a great, fun, LONG show with a really good feel all around.  It was great to see these guys again.  Did I mention it was great? :)<br><br>Want pix?  www.enzothebaker.com/po021004.htm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:21 am 

The Variety probably won't miss Mattie either, nor his entourage and their outpouring of concession purchases.<br>Until mattie busts out with his Zappa coverband, I will place my bets with PO. I applaud them and there desire to keep Frank's music alive. The juggling seems to be an amusement and I don't think it detracts from the Peaches. The political commentary is just that, political commentary. Frank did it. I did not agree with some of Franks political ideas but it does add to the music. Mattie has got Emperor Bush-itis. He seems willing to kill those who do not think like he does. He apparently believes that imposing ones will on another is democracy. He is really just a silly goose with a desire to be liked by the authoritarian voices that invade his head(or tv).<br>The last PO show I saw at the Variety was great. The next one will be better knowing that a particular closed minded individual will not be there.  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:41 pm 
[quote author=enzothebaker link=board=zappaning;num=1033463760;start=0#11 date=10/05/02 at 22:29:31]They were excellent!  Last night's show was great fun and held several surprises.  These guys really do play the HELL out of FZ's catalogue, with an excellent sensibility about the music.  And with Nappy and Ike there... fucking awesome!<br><br>Here's what they played:<br><br>Packard Goose<br>Andy<br>Inca Roads<br>Stick It Out<br>Hungry Freaks, Daddy<br>You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here<br>Twenty Small Cigars<br>The Idiot Bastard Son<br>Cheepnis<br>Uncle Remus<br>The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing<br>I'm The Slime<br>-----INTERMISSION-----<br>San Ber'dino<br>The Illinois Enema Bandit<br>When The Lie's So Big<br>Wild Love<br>Yo Mama<br>Village Of The Sun<br>Echidna's Arf (Of You)<br>Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?<br>Uncle Meat "& Meat By-Products" [per Ike]<br>Advance Romance<br>Evelyn, A Modified Dog [on set list, not played :'(]<br>I'm So Cute [Seahag]<br>Florentine Pogen<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the set-list. Saw the show in San Francisco and am sorta pissed off that I left after "Uncle Remus", but the whole IKE experience was getting way beyond painful. Napoleon, though, was excellent. I couldn't believe my eyes. <br> <br>IKE!! Please stop keeping time with those self-satisfied twists of your meaty forearm :'( <br> <br>Looking forward to seeing Terry in Europe next year....