Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:31 am 

This message dissapeared from the board:<br><br>One more time for the world..............<br><br><br>FYI:<br><br>There is very good news on the performance front. <br><br>On March 02,2003 The American Composers Orchestra under the baton of Steven Sloane will be putting on a wonderful program at Carnegie Hall .<br><br>While Carnegie Hall members can pre-order tickets at this time tickets go on sale to the general public on 9/09/02. <br><br>Warmest Regards to all <br>Gary T.<br><br>The following information was extracted from the Carnegie Hall URL listed below below.<br><br><br><br>http://www.carnegiehall.org/index.jsp?uuid=C5E9CE6E607523E-9917018140001590&eventid=3377699727335315&selecteddate=03022003<br><br>American Composers Orchestra <br>Zappa and the Emerging American Composer<br><br>Isaac Stern Auditorium<br>Sunday, March 2, 2003 3:00 PM<br>American Composers Orchestra<br><br>Pre-concert talk starts at 1:45 PM on the Carnegie Hall stage.<br><br>Steven Sloane, Music Director and Conductor<br>Omar Ebrahim, Vocalist<br>David Moss, Vocalist<br><br><br>COLEMAN L'alma respira (World Premiere)<br>SHEN Autumn Fall (World Premiere)<br>ROBISON In Search of the Miraculous (World Premiere)<br>ZAPPA The Adventures of Greggery Peccary (arr. Ali N. Askin) (US Premiere)<br>ZAPPA G-Spot Tornado (arr. Ali N. Askin)<br>ZAPPA Dog Breath/Uncle Meat Variations (arr. Ali N. Askin)<br>ZAPPA Peaches En Regalia (arr. Ali N. Askin) (US Premiere)<br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:52 am 

And yet some more info from the American Composers Orchestra Website<br><br><br>http://www.americancomposers.org/concerts.htm#March2<br><br>Zappa and the Emerging American Composer: March 2, 2003<br><br>In honor of the tenth anniversary of the death of composer and performer Frank Zappa, ACO will present several of Mr. Zappa's well-known works, in orchestral arrangements by Ali N. Askin. The Adventures of Greggery Peccary and Peaches en Regalia are U.S. premieres, and the program will also include G-Spot Tornado and the New York premiere of The Dog Breath Variations/Uncle Meat (a.k.a .Dog/Meat). Guest soloists for The Adventures of Greggery Peccary are David Moss and Omar Ebrahim.<br><br>The concert opens with three world premieres, commissioned by ACO through the orchestra's annual Whitaker New Music Readings. The first piece, L'alma respira (my soul breathes), is by Dan Coleman, an Arizona-based composer who, since his reading by ACO in 1998, has received commissions from Orpheus, Dallas Symphony, and the Cypress String Quartet, and was recently named Music Alive Composer-in-Residence with the Tucson Symphony. The second work, Autumn Fall, is by Hsueh-Yung Shen, a composer who trained at Harvard, Stanford, and Aspen, and studied with Nadia Boulanger in France. He currently teaches composition and percussion at Southwestern University (Texas). The third Whitaker commission, In Search of the Miraculous, is by Brian Robison, and takes its title from the book in which P.D. Ouspensky attempted to record teachings of the contrarian early twentieth-century guru G.I. Gurdjieff. Recently appointed Assistant Professor of Music at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; he has taught at Cornell University and at Ithaca College.<br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:34 pm 

And this lovely piece of news has made it's way to the What's New area  right here at Zappa.com<br><br>I hope to see ya all there<br><br>Things Are Healing Nicely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:01 pm 

I'll go.  I went to see the Ensemble Modern at Alice Tully Hall a few years ago when they played G-Spot Tornado.  Brilliant...<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:02 am 

The Carnegie Hall website has  been updated to include a great gif of the Zappa Imperial with a red backroung. <br><br>Rumor has it that many Zappa listeners will arrive early  attempting to head off all the Hunchmen and Hunchwomen at the Short Forest Exit of the FDR Drive.<br><br>Early congregation of concert goers will allow Gregory Peccary just enough time to escape and  make it to the pre-show lecture that is scheduled to begin at 1:45 PM on the Carnegie Hall stage. <br><br><br>Remember folks! <br><br>This concert performace has eagerly been awaited since the beginning of time.<br><br>Get you tickets fast.<br><br>remember those famous fatefull words of <br><br>'The Greatest Living PHILOSTOPHER Known to Mankind', QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND!  <br><br>Folks, as you can see for yourself, the way this clock over here is behaving, TIME IS OF AFFLICTION! Now this might be cause for alarm among a portion of you, as, from a certain experience, I TEND TO PROCLAIM: 'THE EONS ARE CLOSING'! <br><br><br><br>The Eons are closing!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:38 pm 

I just returned from a lovely afternoon at Carnegie Hall where the above performances were enjoyed in the true spirit of all things Zappa.<br><br>Gail Zappa, Joe Travers, Ali Askin pleasured all in taking part in a panel discussion before the concert.<br><br>Ahmet, Diva and friends of the Zappa s also made it in for this historic occasion.<br><br>Thanks to all that made this event possible.<br><br>If anyone has a transcript of the  pre-show festivities please post.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:03 pm 

[quote author=Trendmonger link=board=zappaning;num=1030455075;start=0#6 date=03/02/03 at 15:38:06]I just returned from a lovely afternoon at Carnegie Hall where the above performances were enjoyed in the true spirit of all things Zappa.<br><br>Gail Zappa, Joe Travers, Ali Askin pleasured all in taking part in a panel discussion before the concert.<br><br>Ahmet, Diva and friends of the Zappa s also made it in for this historic occasion.<br><br>Thanks to all that made this event possible.<br><br>If anyone has a transcript of the  pre-show festivities please post.[/quote]<br><br>How was the performance? Were there a lot of ppeople in the audience? What was the audience like? ANy encores?    <br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:56 pm 

I guess my note did not achieve proper articulation to meet your desired interest of reading a report on the event.<br><br>Pre- concert lecture:<br><br>Ali Askin,Gail Zappa, Joe Travers , Brian Robison, Hsueh-Yung, Dan Coleman and a moderator forumed on the concept of Zappa and the Emerging American Composer.<br><br>Additionaly the panel fielded questions from the audience.<br><br>As I had stated at the lecture I thanked the panel for there dedication to there work and questioned Gail Zappa on the feasability of 6 channel live performances of productions similar to that of this program.<br><br>Gail's  repsonse to this and the panels response to the many whitty engineered questions made for an eye opening or better yet "eye brow raising" education.<br><br>I could only hope that an acurate transcription of this lecture will somehow become available for the general public to consume in all it's glory.<br><br>The performaces themselves were met with all the appreciation that one expected from this highly anticipated event.<br><br>

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981