Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:23 pm 

:oWhat's the deal here?<br>    Where did you guys('n' gals)get the new Halloween DVDA?<br>     It's not on the Family releases page on the ol' Barfko site.  So,how'd ya get the freakin' thing?<br>     Also, is it useable if you don't have a surround sound thingie(set up) on yer DVD?<br>       Here we have new spiff-nificant stuff ta get, 'n' no way to get our slimy little hands on the thing!<br>       Tell me ,"What's the deal"! ::)Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:21 am 

;)Well,I dug-in here and it seems I should head to my nearest BEST BUY!<br>     Sorry for my out-burst!<br>          I NEED this thing,though! :o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:22 am 

I just asked this same question somewhere else on the forum.  Good luck at Best Buy.  I went there yesterday and came out empty handed.  However, while I was thumbing through the DVD-A's I did find a regular CD release of Zoot Allures stashed among the DVD-A's.  Maybe they did have it and some other lucky FZ freak got to it before me.   :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:51 pm 

Well, all these local stores are crying that it's no fair that E-Commerce is stealing their money,but I can't find the HALLOWEEN DVD-A,the new(last) John Fahey "Red Cross" CD,and tons of other stuff that's cool!<br>   Like I said,they're crying... but not stocking this stuff.Guess what,they lose out.I buy through the internet!<br>    The Zappa Halloween DVD-A will be bought by me after this pay day through the mail,the Fahey was ordered from a New York store,and the local stores can go "eat some macrobiotic food"!<br>   I'm sick of the" robot musical world" getting all the attention...they stock lots of J-Lo,and other average crap-ola!  How about two copies of poor old John Fahey's last-gasp Cd,or the friggin' Halloween DVD-A!?<br>    One local chain store ,that I like to call "Stupid City",said that they can't stock DVD-A's...they are an electronics store!  GAWD...what will they do? Miss out on a whole new format,just for "safe" sales!  I'd bet YES!<br>     Screw these locals,they don't get my cash for being backwards.  If I order from their special orders department,I MIGHT get the DVD-A in a few weeks.Now if I order thru the internet,I'll have the thing in two DAYS!    NO CONTEST!  GUESS WHO WINS!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:09 pm 

If your 'Stupid City' is Circuit City, then I'm confused as they were 1 of the 2 places in this town that actually do carry DVD-A.  <br><br>Still looking.... Damn, I knew I should have ordered it when it was $6.95.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:20 am 

[quote author=Trennasol link=board=zappaning;num=1044948199;start=0#5 date=02/11/03 at 19:09:14]If your 'Stupid City' is Circuit City, then I'm confused as they were 1 of the 2 places in this town that actually do carry DVD-A.  <br><br>[/quote]<br>Yep Circuit City sez..."We don't carry those things here.Some of our stores do though,but not this one."That's a quote from the little ,gum-chawing twit at the register when I asked where I might find the suckers.<br>   I live in a run-down coal town(Scranton,PA).It used to be a big stop on the Vaudville Circuit,and (I hear) a mighty fine red light district,too!But,since,say 1945,it's been a dead,Klu Klux Klan infested dump.Replete with in-bred politicians and civic leaders,and more dumps 'n' scrap-yards per foot than we'd all like to admit. Now it's like one big retirement home,except for our local(tax-free) college-and  that teaches rich kids how to party more than anything else!  It's like CENTERVILLE...it's a real nice place ta raise yer kidz up!!!  It's got liquore stores,and churches,too..lots of 'em(wedged between the scrap-yards).So,yeah if ya get stuck here(through bad luck),and your kids aren't eaten by the rats from the dump,or aren't born with 3 eyes from the toxic waste,you can look foreward to lot's of bland ,flavorless entertainment.It's made just for little towns like this.It's easy to swallow,doesn't take any brain power to appreciate,and goes great with your beer on a Friday night!The WWF stops here frequently...YEAAAH! It's a SPRINGER sorta town too.<br>    Ah,well .I'm the sucker stuck here.Why should I torture you people?<br>     Just wish me luck in this God forsaken place...PLEASE!<br>     Thanks.<br>     I'd better stop writing now,if the neighbors find out I listen to Zappa they might lynch me!   HA!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:33 am 

Your town sounds like a few places I drove through in WV to see Mike Keneally's band play in 2001.   ;)  <br><br>I don't know if you've found a copy of Halloween yet, but I just ordered from Tower Records and they do have it in stock.  <br><br>Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:36 pm 

:)I finally got Halloween at a Best Buy about 30 miles from my home!<br>   It's a cool show,but I don't have the surround-sound device... so I am missing-out on one of the disc's main features.But it's fun to se the Dancin' Fool SNL performance again.I saw it the first run on TV!<br>   I have only a few slight complaints.<br>   #1-I think a slide show or something could accompany the music on screen(maybe scrolling lyrics?).<br>    #2-I would love to be able to play this sucker on normal Cd devices too...in my car,in my portable Cd player,etc! This format limits your options for enjoyment.I'm not so sure I like that too much.<br>     Over-all though I love what I can hear already,and a good time was had by all! My mom was there for the first playing,and she liked it too. She liked the nice "warm" tone it had,even though it was played through my TV's built-in speakers...I was impressed too!<br>   My mom is a fan of Frank's too!That was a big "plus" in my teenaged years,I'll tell you! ;D<br>  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:44 am 

Good deal.  Glad you found a copy.  According to Tower Records, mine should be here Friday.  Just in time for my three day weekend.  <br><br>Peace <br>T

Post subject: Re: Complaints
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:32 am 

My minor complaint is that the disc has special features - lyrics, liner notes, etc.  When you are listening to the show, I don't want to have to be stuck looking at one picture until the next song starts.  I think, at least, we should be able to go back and access the lyrics, or whatever without having to stop the music.<br><br>Also - isn't that Ike Willis in the 'Suicide Chump' clip?  Why no credit??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:03 pm 

trennasol wrote:
.......Still looking.... Damn, I knew I should have ordered it when it was $6.95.
when was it $6.95

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:48 am 

I found it about 2 weeks ago in a regular music store in Montreal: Archambault Musique (in the DVD section). I purchased the only copy though. The price in canadian was about what I would have paid from Barfko Swill (including shipping). The Halloween dvd seems to be distributed by EMI.  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:23 am 

EMI? Worldwide? Can anybody confirm this?<br>EMI Germany HQ is five minutes from my flat!