Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which Is the Best?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:11 am 

I was wondering being a very new Zappa fan and only heraring 3 albums and a best of CD which Cd or album would be the best to start with I have Shiek Your Booty, One size fits all and one more which the name will not come to me because its in my dads car so where should i start?

Post subject: Re: Which Is the Best?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:21 am 

Try these:<br>- Apostrophe (')<br>- Broadway the hardway<br>and be convinced by the musical miracles Zappa made, so when you got these 5 albums, you aren't that much away from the whole catalogue  ;)  <br>Why not buy them all!  There's no such thing as the best Zappa-album... Every album should be seen in his time-context, then you see every album is super!<br>Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:21 am 

btw: welcome in the world of Zappa!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:00 am 

+ Roxy and Elsewhere<br><br>check out some other threads on this board, there are plenty of threads about albums, etc, that can give you a clue where to start...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:17 am 

Try Cheap thrills and the son of cheap thrills, they worked for me. Then you'll be hook and into an expenisive hobby, i've spent 80quid on Zappa cds this week.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:43 pm 

[quote author=fragile link=board=zappaning;num=1040659902;start=0#1 date=12/23/02 at 08:21:26]Try these:<br>Why not buy them all!  There's no such thing as the best Zappa-album... Every album should be seen in his time-context, then you see every album is super!<br>Good luck[/quote] Hell Yeah!!!!!!! ;D<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:50 pm 

Hi,<br>   Well it really just depends on what angle you want to observe him from...Jazz ,Rock,Orchestral,or Social commentary(etc.).<br>     Jazzy stuff...the classic is Hot Rats,then there's Uncle Meat(that is strangely Jazz oriented).<br>     Rock....well the different eras of rock (ie;1960's,'70's,'80's) have different highlights...maybe Absolutely Free or Freak Out! for 1960's weird psych rock. Then there's Apostrophe,or Zoot Alures,in the 1970's,and maybe Them Or Us or You are What You IS in the 1980's.(You Are What...  is also a great Social Commentary album,too).<br>    Orchestral...well LSO is good ,but the Yellow Shark is a great one.The ol' Orchestral Favorites got me into that angle from the rock side of the fence,though.(That one is a sort-of borderline rock/orchestral deal.I think.)<br>     Social commentary hits all of his eras...1960's was We're Only In It For The Money...1970's Roxy and Elsewhere(maybe),In New York(possibly)...and the 1980's had You Are What You Is...<br>      Yes,as someone else said here,there's too many "in roads" on Frank's stuff.You really have to just explore...it takes time. Just remember he was always evolving.If you don't like the out-'n'-out comedy stuff he did serious stuff in all eras,etc.<br>    Find-out which way you want to explore,and ask questions here...I think someone will be glad to help point you the to the right releases.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:27 am 

Joe's Garage <br>Grand Wazoo (Jazz)<br>Hot Rats (Jazz)<br>Bongo Fury <br>You Are What You Is<br>Does Humor Belong in Music (a short live collection of some of Zappa's Better early 80's & some 70's remakes)<br>One Size Fits All<br>Chunga's Revenge<br>YCDTOSA I, II <br>Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar (if you like guitar solos)<br>Zoot Allures

Post subject: Zappa In New York
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:58 pm 

The one that got me first was Zappa In New York from 76. It has a good variety of styles and a great band featuring horns. And, oh yeah, there's a heaping helping of great guitar solos too! It's a double cd now with extra tracks added. ;D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:53 pm 

Were only in it for the Money<br><br>Get one of the Zappa Threesomes.  Three albums for the price of two, ya can't go wrong.<br><br>Mabey not Playground Psychotics or Uncle Meat.  It took me a while to grasp Uncle Meat, but now its one of my favorites.  <br><br>I wouldn't recomend Jazz from Hell.  It's not a horrible album, but I know I was kinda dissapointed when I first heard it.<br><br><br>Two words for you, Mark Volman.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:15 am 

[quote author=SonOfWillieThePimp link=board=zappaning;num=1040659902;start=0#8 date=01/19/03 at 12:14:48]Just try something, give it a name and it's excellent. There's no such thing, as far as I know (I got +-20 cd's), as a BAD Zappa album!!![/quote]<br>I don't think so either, but I guess newer fans should really avoid buying Franseco Zappa, Mothers Of Prevention, Ahead of Their Time and Jazz From Hell as their 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th album, cause then they will get a totally wrong impression of the guy or even get disappointed and stop buying.  <br>You can of course buy one of those in the beginning of your zappa carreeer, maybe you must, but beware of avant-garde overkill if yr stomach isn't up to it...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:39 am 

"Which Is the Best?"  That's a tough one because there is no "Right" answer.  It sounds like you have a good start in the 1970's FZ releases.  If you like what your hearing, you may enjoy "Roxy & Elsewhere", "Apostrophe", "Overnight Sensation, "Live in New York", "Joes Garage", "Zoot Allures" or "Bongo Fury" (I know I do!).  However, your results may vary.  Welcome and Enjoy!   ;D<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:07 am 

If you like this album -> Then buy this one<br><br>Freak Out! -> We're Only In It For The Money<br>Absolutely Free -> Freak Out!<br>We're Not Only In It For The Money -> Lumpy Gravy<br>Lumpy Gravy -> Uncle Meat<br>Uncle Meat -> 200 Motels<br>Cruising With Ruben & The Jets - If Humor Belong In Music<br>Mothermania - Absolutely Free<br>Hot Rats - Waka/Jawaka<br>Burnt Weeny Sandwich -> Hot Rats<br>Weasels Ripped My Flesh  -> Jazz From Hell<br>Chunga's Revenge -> Roxy & Elsewhere<br>Fillmore East, June 1979 -> One Size Fits All<br>200 Motels -> Uncle Meat<br>Just Another Band From L.A. -> Uncle Meat<br>Waka/Jawaka -> Hot Rats<br>The Grand Wazoo -> Waka/Jawaka<br>Over-Nite Sensation -> Sheik Yerbouti<br>Apostrophe (') -> Over-Nite Sensation<br>Roxy & Elsewhere -> Hot Rats<br>One Size Fits All -> Over-Nite Sensation<br>Bongo Fury -> The Lost Episodes<br>Zoot Allures -> Sheik Yerbouti<br>Zappa In New York -> YCDTOSA<br>Studio Tan -> The Grand Wazoo<br>Sleep Dirt -> Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar<br>Sheik Yerbouti -> Freak Out!<br>Orchestral Favorites -> London Symphony Orchestra Vol 1 & 2<br>Joe's Garage -> 200 Motels<br>Tinseltown Rebellion -> Strictly Commercial<br>Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar -> Guitar<br>You Are What You Is -> Over-Nite Sensation<br>Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Witch -> Sheik Yerbouti<br>The Man From Utopia -> Tinseltown Rebellion<br>Baby Snakes -> Sheik Yerbouti<br>London Symphony Orchestra Vol 1 & 2 -> Orchestral Favorites<br>The Perfect Stranger -> Francesco Zappa<br>Them Or Us -> Guitar<br>Thing-Fish -> Joe's Garage Acts 1, 2 & 3<br>Francesco Zappa -> Jazz From Hell<br>FZ Meets The Mother of Prevention -> Weasels Ripped My Flesh<br>Does Humor Belong In Music? -> Crousing With Ruben & The Jets<br>Jazz From Hell -> Francesco Zappa<br>Guitar -> Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar<br>YCDTOSA -> Zappa In New York<br>Broadway The Hard Way -> Tinseltown Rebellion<br>The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life -> Make A Jazz Noice Here<br>Make A Jazz Noice Here -> The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life<br>Playground Psychotics -> Weasels Ripped My Flesh<br>Ahead Of Their Time -> Lumpy Gravy<br>The Yellow Shark -> Ahead Of Their Time<br>Civ Phase 3 -> The Grand Wazoo<br>The Lost Episodes -> Strcitly Commercial<br>Lather -> Uncle Meat<br>FZ Plays the Music of FZ -> Guitar<br>Have I Offended Someone? -> Cheap Thrills<br>The Mystery Disc -> The Lost Episodes<br>EIHN -> FZ:OZ<br>FZ:OZ -> EIHN<br>Halloween -> Make A Jazz Noice Here<br>Strictly Commercial -> The Lost Episodes<br>Strictly Genteel -> London Symphony Orchestra Vol 1 & 2<br>Cheap Thrills -> Son of Cheap Thrills<br>Son of Cheap Thrills -> Cheap Thrills<br>Cucamonga -> Cucomonga Years<br>Cucamonga Years -> Cucamonga<br>Beat The Boots -> The Old Masters<br>The Old Masters -> Beat The Boots<br><br>There ya go! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:36 am 

What?<br><br>It was a very nice and helpful guide and it took me some seconds to post it, yes!

Post subject: re: which is the best?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:47 pm 

sparlatacus wrote:
If you like this album -> Then buy this one

...Orchestral Favorites -> London Symphony Orchestra Vol 1 & 2
Joe's Garage -> 200 Motels
Tinseltown Rebellion -> Strictly...
...Boots
There ya go!

joe's garage -> 200 motels ┬┐ ...the other ones are a good choice

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:01 pm 

Just don't listen to the guy about FZ Meets the Mothers Of Prevention. I woulda listed it as one o' th' Top 5 or so. The Synclavier material (I am referring to the post-1995 CD) is outstanding. If the person who warned yez against it has the full album (I understand the original pressing was a little well, shy...) but get the Ryko CD, # RCD10547; this is NOT gling to give any 'wrong idea' of FZ music.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:44 am 

[quote author=slime_oooytv_set link=board=zappaning;num=1040659902;start=15#17 date=02/22/03 at 19:47:38]<br><br>i don't follow Joe's Garage -> 200 Motels...the other ones are a good choice<br>[/quote]<br><br>No, I know. I can't remember why I wrote it. ;)

Post subject: re: which Is the best?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:43 am 

thing-fish24 wrote:
I Think It'd Be Better Like This:<br>Joe's Garage -> Thing-Fish<br>200 Motels -> Just Another Band From L.A.<br>FZ Meets The Mothers Of Prevention -> Thing-Fish
agreed

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:51 pm 

Dr.Dodd wrote:
I was wondering being a very new Zappa fan and only heraring 3 albums

What are you wereing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:59 pm 

You Slapped too hell and BACK aSS c :arrow: