Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:19 am 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
I'm bribing the building super' right now so we can have Zappa come through on the elevator speakers, 24/7!<br><br>My band does "Find her Finer" on stage.  It's the least intimidating of his songs.  Besides, none of us read.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:31 am 

[quote author=drooling_savant link=board=zappaning&num=1032811069&start=0#3 date=10/01/02 at 10:19:59]<br>I'm bribing the building super' right now so we can have Zappa come through on the elevator speakers, 24/7!<br>[/quote] That would be cool... <br><br>Once, I hooked up my walkman to my old school's public speaker system and played Sugarcane Harris'  violin solo on the Gumbo Variations through the entire school.. almost got expelled for that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:16 am 

I know this place and it's owned by great guy who loves FZ and plays whatever Zappa-song (or Zappa related artist's songs) you wish to hear at any given time.<br>He owns this really nice bar where all the cool cats from the neigbourhood like to hang out and talk about everything they feel like talking about.<br>It has this real ''jazzy'' vibe that seems to fill the air that's floating around the place...<br>This bar is open 24/7, each day of the month, 12 months a year and it's called MY ROOM.<br>Feel free to visit it when you're in town, you won't be dissapointed, i promise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:14 am 

I have heard bits an pieces of the more crowd-pleasing Zappa in clubs and bars round here in Cologne/germany.<br>One time I gave a concert with my band in Berlin the later to be performing DJ played TBBYNHIYL as a filler while he set up his equipment.<br>I used to "smuggle" some Zappa into the CD changer anytime I worked in a club myself. <br>There used to be many clubs in the 70`s here in germany, especially in the bigger cities, which played a lot of FZ back then (to a mere well-informed middle-class student-ique public).<br>Times have changed....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:30 am 

There's a radio station here in Montreal (CHOM 97,7) that plays Zappa tunes once in a while, but it seems they are stucked on "Dancin' Fool" or "Joe's Garage".<br><br>They once had a contest to win the complete discography on cd, which is cool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:23 am 

ONLY IN THE NETHERLANDS...............<br><br>Frank Zappa being played in a coffeeshop.<br><br>I know a coffeeshop in Amsterdam (where else ???) and it's owner is a huge fan of Frank's music.<br>When you stand before the building the sign on the window says:''Classic Rock and F.Z.''<br><br>The address is: <br>Cannabis Cafe ''De Kuil''<br>Oudebrugsteeg 27<br>Amsterdam<br><br>I wonder what Frank would have thought of this ???<br>His music being played in a place where people buy and smoke weed.............

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:00 am 

About 8 months ago in my (then) local pub in south London they were playing a copy of some Spanish (i think) accordionist, nothing very exciting, until I realised that one of the tune being played was 'Chunga's revenge'! Needless to say the barmaid who'd put the CD on had no idea who FZ was!<br>As far as Frank's line on smoking weed goes, I got the impression from watching 'Baby Snakes' that he not only tolerated, but seemed to enjoy the results of Bruce Bickford's dalliances with weed. Maybe he only had a problem when it stopped his musicians being able to play to the best of their ability?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:28 am 

<br>[quote author=kaiser_rolls link=board=zappaning&num=1032811069&start=0#11 date=10/14/02 at 09:00:10]<br>they were playing a copy of some Spanish (i think) accordionist, nothing very exciting, until I realised that one of the tune being played was 'Chunga's revenge'! <br>[/quote]<br><br>It might have been Gotan Project, but I don't know if they are spanish...<br>  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:50 am 

there's this place in Oxford, England called 'the zodiac'. so far in the last year they've had the zappatistas feat john etheridge, which i have to say was one of the greatest live shows ive seen. on the 11th of november they have 'the muffin men' feat. jimmy carl black, i cant wait.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:55 am 

[quote author=DeeeEsss link=board=zappaning;num=1032811069;start=0#4 date=10/02/02 at 13:27:28]...but I CAN say that EVERY live DJ set I do opens with the soundcheck from "Playground Psychotics". (It's my trademark!) [/quote]<br>That's the spirit! Thanks for the great idea!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:58 am 

[quote author=Tony link=board=zappaning;num=1032811069;start=0#13 date=10/18/02 at 06:28:05]<br><br>It might have been Gotan Project, but I don't know if they are spanish...<br>  [/quote]<br>no indeed, they're French. the album is called 'la revencha del tango' Very pleasant!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:29 pm 

I tried to get a section/s of Monster Magnet as the school's daily anthem, the teacher loved it  ;D<br>however, it was not mean't to be class objection was far to great. :'( <br>Fortunately all those plugging for over used under talented rap and pop punk garbage couldn't be bothered to bring it in and good taste prevailed and we now  have Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive, school spirit has never been so low  :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:21 am 

There has been a nice performance of Franks Music with 2 DJs, Pictureshow and Videos on dez.04 in the Jansen Bar in Berlin:<br><br>Country: Germany<br>Town: Berlin<br>Venue: Jansen Bar<br>Date: 04.12.02<br>Time: <br>website: www.jansenbar.de<br>comments: <br><br>I think, they play Zappa-Music some other times...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:14 pm 

There is a computer game shop in the manchester arndale centre in jolly old blighty that is obbsessed with playing F.Z through the store speakers. i have not a console thus have no need to buy from the shop but i am oft found loitering in said store.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:33 pm 

Bikini Beach (Strip Joint)<br>Moncton, New Brunswick<br>CA<br>You can't miss it.<br><br>Between preformances they played Cosmik Debris.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:55 am 

i've never heard it in s.f. clubs....dj's/bands<br><br>