Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Don Preston is BACK!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:51 pm 

;DWOW!<br>    Don Preston's web-site is BACK!<br>         http://www.donpreston.com   is back up and running,and you should check it out!<br>      His movie "Ogo Moto" has some neat connections to Uncle Meat(although Ogo Moto is silent,and very low budget).He's got cool "Don & Bunk Show" CDs for sale there too!<br>    Biff DeBris is calling you to join him!<br>    Go there now ,or be TRANSFORMED!!!!! :P

Post subject: Re: Don Preston is BACK!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:44 am 

'new' band ; Napoleon Murphy Brock, Don Preston, Bunk Gardner, Roy Estrada, Ken Rosser (guitar) and Chris Garcia (drums)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:26 am 

This evening there's a concert on the french-german channel ARTE:<br>"Don Preston conducts the Mothers - celebrating the 10th anniversary of Frank's departure."<br>Don't know what it is.Will record it of course.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:35 pm 

i aways liked don

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:20 pm 

I always like Don too. But didnt all these grandmothers sue Frank and didnt they not talk for at least 10 years up til franks death? However they travel the world playing his music. (Roy Estrada excluded of course)<br><br>I'd like to know the real story.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:03 pm 

That story is just that, when the portions of the FZ catalog that were released on CD in the late '80's, and then again in 1995 when the greater part of catalog was released, Jim Black in particular - others followed suit - wanted to be paid out of the receipts from the resale of the albums they contrubuted to. A settlement was eventually reached. The specific amount remains undisclosed; it was apparently a fairly substantial sum of $. Also, Black reprised his 'Lonesome Cowboy Burt' persona for the first two tracks of "You Are What You Is" ("Teenage  Wind" & "Harder than Your Husband"); other tracks on that album featured snippets of Black's vocals, ("Goblin Girl"; "Drafted Again") which he wanted to be compenstaed for as well. Black in particular was continuously kvetching, as has been well documented, EG: Uncle Meat... "When do we get PAID?" (EG: "If We Were Living in California") The unfortunate part is all the snide put downs of Zappa and his talent (For one revealing example, Art Tripp claimed - see: "No Commercial Potential" - that much/most  of the rhythmic innovation on the work from "Cruising With Ruben & The Jets" through "WeaselsRipped My Flesh" originated with his suggestions, and that FZ was essentially merely an organized arranger - one quote is "given a little time in the library, I could do better" which is patently ridiculous considering that there is not a single example of original Art Tripp material on any recording in any medium, nor are there any examples of didactic works, such as for example the book Billy James compiled and gave to Zappa in the late '80's, or any published compositions, or even any sessions recorded with other musicians) arising out of professional and/or artistic jealousy and as a way of garnering publicity for their act, especially as 'The Grandmothers' were doing very little in the way of original material and performing a not insubstantial amount of FZ music, assuming that they had some entitlement to the music performance rights; this in my view tends to subtract, to some extent, the legitimacy of the subsequent litigation. This history is especially sad in light of the fact that FZ was rather less than physically well when the settlement was finally reached, and the association with JC Black (and in the case of Bunk Gardner and  Don Preston, as well, although not in the Mothers Of Invention per se) goes back to 1964 and The Soul Giants in Black's case, (and in informal settings reading 'some very abstract charts', as per Gardner & Preston in a period, ca. 1965, between that early R&B group and the first Mothers sessions {Preston didn't pass the audition for the Mothers a 'he didn't know anything about rock 'n roll'}), before the move to Los Angeles. Of course I don't know the specific limitations of the royalty agreements as regards the first 6 albums and the two after "Hot Rats"; however, the ca. 1986-7 re-issues did occur two decades after, EG: "We're Only In It For The Money", and in many cases, from my own experience, a musician's contribution to a recording that does not include any actual acknowledged compositions (or arrangements) does not neccesarily warrant very much further monetary compensation; in any case, such matters are best thoroughly worked out in the first place, which does not appear to be the case with the 1960's incarnations of The Mothers - something of a cautionary tale here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:08 pm 

I still dig Don Preston! ;D<br><br>       Yeah,Frank wrote the music,but those guys really added their personalities to the mix.  Some of the younger people I know don't like any of Frank's other band's output because it lacks that old Mothers "vibe". I'd bet that "Vibe" is the whole bunch of those Mothers just "finding their feet" so to speak...it sort of seemed like you could relate to that bunch better(maybe like a bunch of freaky guys you knew).<br>       I like every era of Frank's music,but that first bunch...they were like the original astronauts...out in freaky space before most others dared to tread!!<br>      "ONE GIANT STEP FOR FREAK-KIND!!" :o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:00 am 

[quote author=civil link=board=zappaning;num=1045115462;start=0#5 date=03/18/03 at 14:03:37]That story is just that, when the portions of the FZ catalog that were released on CD in the late '80's, and then again in 1995 when the greater part of catalog was released, Jim Black in particular - others followed suit - wanted to be paid out of the receipts from the resale of the albums they contrubuted to. A settlement was eventually reached. The specific amount remains undisclosed; it was apparently a fairly substantial sum of $. Also, Black reprised his 'Lonesome Cowboy Burt' persona for the first two tracks of "You Are What You Is" ("Teenage  Wind" & "Harder than Your Husband"); other tracks on that album featured snippets of Black's vocals, ("Goblin Girl"; "Drafted Again") which he wanted to be compenstaed for as well. Black in particular was continuously kvetching, as has been well documented, EG: Uncle Meat... "When do we get PAID?" (EG: "If We Were Living in California") The unfortunate part is all the snide put downs of Zappa and his talent (For one revealing example, Art Tripp claimed - see: "No Commercial Potential" - that much/most  of the rhythmic innovation on the work from "Cruising With Ruben & The Jets" through "WeaselsRipped My Flesh" originated with his suggestions, and that FZ was essentially merely an organized arranger - one quote is "given a little time in the library, I could do better" which is patently ridiculous considering that there is not a single example of original Art Tripp material on any recording in any medium, nor are there any examples of didactic works, such as for example the book Billy James compiled and gave to Zappa in the late '80's, or any published compositions, or even any sessions recorded with other musicians) arising out of professional and/or artistic jealousy and as a way of garnering publicity for their act, especially as 'The Grandmothers' were doing very little in the way of original material and performing a not insubstantial amount of FZ music, assuming that they had some entitlement to the music performance rights; this in my view tends to subtract, to some extent, the legitimacy of the subsequent litigation. This history is especially sad in light of the fact that FZ was rather less than physically well when the settlement was finally reached, and the association with JC Black (and in the case of Bunk Gardner and  Don Preston, as well, although not in the Mothers Of Invention per se) goes back to 1964 and The Soul Giants in Black's case, (and in informal settings reading 'some very abstract charts', as per Gardner & Preston in a period, ca. 1965, between that early R&B group and the first Mothers sessions {Preston didn't pass the audition for the Mothers a 'he didn't know anything about rock 'n roll'}), before the move to Los Angeles. Of course I don't know the specific limitations of the royalty agreements as regards the first 6 albums and the two after "Hot Rats"; however, the ca. 1986-7 re-issues did occur two decades after, EG: "We're Only In It For The Money", and in many cases, from my own experience, a musician's contribution to a recording that does not include any actual acknowledged compositions (or arrangements) does not neccesarily warrant very much further monetary compensation; in any case, such matters are best thoroughly worked out in the first place, which does not appear to be the case with the 1960's incarnations of The Mothers - something of a cautionary tale here.[/quote]<br><br>Those guys are desperate chumps who quickly reached the failure category after their career pinnacle had been reached by having the opportunity to play with Frank. I would never see a cheesy Grandmothers show. What a shame and what hippocracy on their part! I guess it was hard to accept that their careers were pretty much over after Frank said good bye. Later on when frank was able to find much more talented musicians, even though some working relationships ended they were able to continue to work. <br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:13 am 

[quote author=penguini link=board=zappaning;num=1045115462;start=0#6 date=03/20/03 at 23:08:39]I still dig Don Preston! ;D<br><br>       Yeah,Frank wrote the music,but those guys really added their personalities to the mix.  Some of the younger people I know don't like any of Frank's other band's output because it lacks that old Mothers "vibe". I'd bet that "Vibe" is the whole bunch of those Mothers just "finding their feet" so to speak...it sort of seemed like you could relate to that bunch better(maybe like a bunch of freaky guys you knew).<br>       I like every era of Frank's music,but that first bunch...they were like the original astronauts...out in freaky space before most others dared to tread!!<br>      "ONE GIANT STEP FOR FREAK-KIND!!" :o[/quote]<br><br>One example, 1972 & 1973 live Zappa is the ultimate in Mothers Groove & Funk. This would be after the choice few money grubbing hippocrites that have been discussed. As a younger person, this is what gets me going. But love it all. The bootlegs have the answers we seek and so does the vault.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:07 pm 

Say what ya will,I still like Don Preston!!! ;D<br>       His Cds,like "Vile Foamy Liquid" bear-out that he is a pretty cool talent,too.<br>        I would say that Jimmy Carl Black seems a bit worn-out(to be nice),plus Billy Mundi totally screwed-up their (The Grandmothers)performance in New York 2 years ago on Halloween.  But Don and Bunk are really great live and on their discs too!<br>        If I were them I think I'd try for some of the "pie" too when the re-issues came out. Who could blame them ?Yes they were on to a good thing with Frank .Who else would have put up with his (then,seemingly)wild musical demands?  He used them to establish his own identity and reputation,then he dumped them for "greener pastures".They did supply a lot of the band's "personality" too. <br>        Now,don't get me wrong ,I like all eras of Frank's music,but these were the guys who helped Frank originate his vision...when no one took him seriously.That's a thought for ya!<br>       Ah well...<br>       I have to say I don't like the fact that Jimmy Carl Black resents Frank so much.<br>       But that Dom DeWild...he's the bee's balls.Ahem.<br>        

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:00 pm 

<br> I was upset when Frank disbanded the Mothers in 69.  I thought they were all great rock stars (My friend Barry pointed out to me that he thought that Don Preston WAS NOT a rock star).  <br><br> Looking back Frank was right because they didn't do much on their own.  I love Don's Vile Foamy and some of JCB (specially the cd he did with Roy) but they didn't progess too far on their own.<br><br><br> However - I still love the orginal (actually ever changing from Freak Out thru the 1969 break up) and I hope there is more to come (some unreleased stuff from the 12 record set).<br><br> Gail - Please hear My Plea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:38 pm 

I too would like to hear more unreleased Mothers stuff.That my favorite Zappa era