Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BILL HICKS 1994-2004
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:05 am 

I'm not really familiar with the guy, the only stuff i knew were the bits on ''3d Eye'' from the AEnima album from TOOL.<br><br>But that changed yesterday when i was out looking for new records and came across the following CD=<br><br>Image<br><br>I was immediatley hooked and the album hasn't left my CD-Player since...<br><br>I love the way he tests his audiences, calls them names, shouts at them when they don't ''get'' his humour and his overall choice of topics and his opinions about them.<br><br>My opinion is, by judging this album, is that the man is not so much a stand-up comedian in the sense of a guy standing on stage and telling jokes, so the audience has a good time.<br>I think he wasn't telling jokes, but was telling the people how he felt about all sorts of various subjects.<br>In a way he wasn't telling jokes, but Bill was telling THE TRUTH...it was HIS truth nonetheless and so many of the people in the audience couldn't agree with HIS (in their eyes probably sick, twisted and bizarre ) truth and therefore Bill ended up being misunderstood.<br><br>Today i was looking up info about Bill Hicks on the Net and found out that this month (the 26th), it's exactly 10 years ago that he ''went on...''<br><br>So, i figured by creating this topic, maybe i could start some discussion about Bill and find out what you people think of him...<br><br>ABBY

Post subject: Re: BILL HICKS 1994-2004
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:23 am 

I'm a huge fan. I've got "One Night Stand" and "Revelations" on video/DVD, but can't find his CD's anywhere...<br><br>Anyway, if you're looking for some online stuff, try http://www.sacredcow.com/allnew/index_c ... video_bill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:11 pm 

Hey Abby.<br><br>Im a massive Bill Hicks fan. And I agree that Flying Saucer Tour is a great album. <br>I advise you get your hands on Rant In E Minor, Relentless, Dangerous & Arizona Bay. <br><br>Also, if you have Kazaa, download Revelations video. Its an excellent video/concert, I think it goes for about 55 minutes. <br><br>It really does not matter which album you get next, they are all brilliant.<br>And check out the Randomonium board, Ill dig up my old Bill Hicks thread in case you missed it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:10 pm 

Bill Hicks is great. My favorite is Rant in E Minor, but Flying Saucer is great as well. I especially like the Jay Leno bit on Rant though....very funny stuff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:41 am 

[quote author=aphex link=board=zappaning;num=1076767507;start=0#1 date=02/14/04 at 11:23:47]I'm a huge fan. I've got "One Night Stand" and "Revelations" on video/DVD, but can't find his CD's anywhere...<br><br>Anyway, if you're looking for some online stuff, try http://www.sacredcow.com/allnew/index_c ... video_bill[/quote]<br><br>You can order them from www.rykodisc.com<br><br>Abby<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:43 am 

[quote author=ImSoCute link=board=zappaning;num=1076767507;start=0#2 date=02/14/04 at 16:11:39]Hey Abby.<br><br>Im a massive Bill Hicks fan. And I agree that Flying Saucer Tour is a great album. <br>I advise you get your hands on Rant In E Minor, Relentless, Dangerous & Arizona Bay. <br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I will, thank you for your advise.<br><br>But do you know if and when Part 2 of the Flying Saucer Series is coming out ???<br><br>Abby<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:03 pm 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=zappaning;num=1076767507;start=0#5 date=02/16/04 at 04:43:35]<br><br>I will, thank you for your advise.<br><br>But do you know if and when Part 2 of the Flying Saucer Series is coming out ???<br><br>Abby<br>[/quote]<br>Nar, I'm not sure when it's coming out. I hope soon.  ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:30 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=zappaning;num=1076767507;start=0#5 date=02/16/04 at 04:43:35]<br>But do you know if and when Part 2 of the Flying Saucer Series is coming out ???<br><br>Abby<br>[/quote]<br><br>Shortly after I first purchased part 1 I checked everywhere I could for info on part 2. no luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:32 am 

Bill Hicks was a blessing to anyone who understood. '"we live in a world where mediocre hacks thrive and good men are cut down in their prime.. ghandi - murdered.... martin luther king - murdered.... jesus - murdered.... reagan - wounded .. "' <br><br>The fact that both he and Frank are gone must be further proof that 'god' wants us to continue learning the hard way... ?<br><br>I'd love to know if Frank was aware of Bill Hicks, and what he thought of him. No comedian, since Lenny Bruce,  has challenged the docile masses quite like Hicks. Like Bruce, his career was essential suffocated by censorship  and scavenged by later comics, whose watered-down bits were safe for the "United States of Advertising". <br><br>Although the rest of the crew at Sacred Cow seem to be carrying the torch nicely.<br><br>meat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:38 am 

The following has been lifted from a Tool website<br><br><br><br>There is a tribute to Bill Hicks on <br>Feb 26th 2004<br>taking place in <br><br>Austin<br><br>London<br><br>Belfast<br><br>San Diego<br><br>Bristol<br><br>Houston<br><br>The Comic Martyr died 10 years ago.<br><br>This Tribute will benefit the <br>Bill Hicks Foundation for Wildlife<br><br>http://www.sacredcow.com/allnew/index_content.php?n=news_hicks_tributes_locations<br><br><br>Just in case anybody wants to turn up and add support and help the benefit<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:15 pm 

Yeah, I hope they get a second installment of Flying Saucer out soon too.  I actually think my favorite album is Dangerous though.  It's his most consistently funny album.  All of his albums rule though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:37 am 

that's right bill keep telling your little smoking jokes while you've still got the breath left in you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:50 pm 

I just downloaded a show 'live in chicago', the vid dont go as long as the boot, but its fuckin worth it. <br><br>"How many of you here are smokers, by round of applause? (A few people clap, inconsistantly) Gee listen to the energy they can pump out at will" (proceeds to make gasping and weezing sounds)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:30 am 

bill hicks was a genius, and zappa would have LOVED him.  ive got all his cds...that i know of. <br> maynard and the other tools used to see him live all the time . you can hear a huge change in maynards lyrics because of hicks.  when tool sampled him on their aenima album, it gave bill TONS of exposure to new markets. they have an animated picture of him inside the album . under it the caption says:bill hicks-another dead hero.<br> im gonna listen to arizona bay right now...   genius.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:01 pm 

Bill Hicks was on dutch tv last night.<br><br>You can see some footage by clicking on the right part of the page.<br>http://www.vpro.nl/programma/zomergasten/afleveringen/17869505/items/18630920/<br><br>More of Bill Hicks on video:<br>http://www.sacredcow.com/allnew/index_content.php?n=multimedia_video_bill