Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:44 am 

There are quite a few coverbands around and also ex-members who play gigs. P/O only plays in the US, right?<br>The Muffin Men (feat. Jimmi CArl Black) only play Europe, right?<br>Let`s collect them all and post some info about them,<br>and say if you have seen or heard them and what it was like.<br>(apart from P/O, who already have their own threads herein). ;)<br><br>THE MUFFIN MEN:<br>I`ve seen them twice. In 1994 they were doing gigs with Ike Willis and it was good for them and us! They showed the Baby Sankes concert parts prior to the show.<br>Their set was 2 hours and they mostly played the more "asy songs like Joe`s Garage, Cosmik Debris, Lucille, Dirty Love... nothing complicated. Nice evenig, and, since it was 3 months after Franks passing it was kind of a melancholic night, Ike and the audience almost were crying during Outside Now...<br>The second time was with JCB in Köln. They moer featured the 60´s material and stuff like Harder Than Yer Husband and Cowboy Burt of course... ;D funny...<br><br>TINSELTOWN REBELLION BAND:<br>The are based in Aachen/Germany. Haven`t seen em yet. They played at the Zappanale this year.<br><br>PIERRE-Jean GAUCHER<br>a french guitarist who does a very fine lazzy mix of FZ tunes, basically instrumental. H did a really fine CD in 2000 called ZappeZappa. <br> <br>Is there more?  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:04 am 

I've only seen the Muffin Man once with JCB (man, he looked really old). They had a pretty good guitar player, the highlight of the show was JCB singing 'Lonesome Cowboy Burt' of course.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:52 pm 

I started a post on the general board re Zappa Cover/Tribute Bands. I am the sound engineer for an Australian Tribute band "Petulant Frenzy" They're playing on Haloween in Sydney.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:51 am 

Please check also next link for more info about FZ'like gigs:<br>http://www.united-mutations.com<br>It's kindofa encyclopedy about zappa & zappa'like music (beefheart/residents), updated every two weeks with the latest releases and gigs.  Very good site by this Belgian guy Peter!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:09 pm 

If anyone's near Detroit... we got something brewin' <br> ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:48 am 

Saw the Muffin men last year who were fantastic JCB sang with them. Seemed like a really sound bloke, got him to sign my Weasles record. Their fist set was more instumental stuff like Peaches and Little House i used to live in. The guitarist was superb can't for the life of me remember his name. I live in Newcastle/England and I know there are a few zappa bands around, one is called Wagga jawaka I think. Aint seen them yet. I hope the next gig with FZ being played will be me once I get round to sorting out a band.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:24 am 

[quote author=Sgt_Hamliver link=board=zappaning;num=1035463475;start=0#12 date=12/03/02 at 07:48:48]Saw the Muffin men last year who were fantastic JCB sang with them. Seemed like a really sound bloke, got him to sign my Weasles record. Their fist set was more instumental stuff like Peaches and Little House i used to live in. The guitarist was superb can't for the life of me remember his name. I live in Newcastle/England and I know there are a few zappa bands around, one is called Wagga jawaka I think. Aint seen them yet. I hope the next gig with FZ being played will be me once I get round to sorting out a band. [/quote]<br>Saw the asme show last week. To me the band lacks a real frontman/singer. I could so that job! Well, JCB sabg some own songs, a beatles medley, a Beefheart medley. Not too much Zappa stuff. The instrumetals were great, though. They played that heavy Puff Daddy Riff over/under King Kong theme. Good idea! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:50 am 

On Friday 10th of January I'm going with a couple of friends to a concert of Watchamacallit, I was told this is a full Zappa-coverband!  They bring a gig in Gent, Belgium, at 'bij de vieze gasten' (or something).  So if you're visiting Belgium that time, please make some time to come & look & listen!  I'm curious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:20 am 

[quote author=Sgt_Hamliver link=board=zappaning;num=1035463475;start=0#12 date=12/03/02 at 07:48:48]Saw the Muffin men last year who were fantastic JCB sang with them. Seemed like a really sound bloke, got him to sign my Weasles record. Their fist set was more instumental stuff like Peaches and Little House i used to live in. The guitarist was superb can't for the life of me remember his name. I live in Newcastle/England and I know there are a few zappa bands around, one is called Wagga jawaka I think. Aint seen them yet. I hope the next gig with FZ being played will be me once I get round to sorting out a band. [/quote]<br><br>Have seen them nyself and thought they were pretty good - JCB with them too . They're from Liverpool and have their own website www.muffinmen.co.uk<br>Personally I believe that any group that keeps FZ's music alive (as long as they give 100% and are half decent) are worth going to see!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:05 pm 

I'm a member of the Paul Green School of Rock Music. It's a whole group of the most talented kid musicians in Philly. We've been in SPIN magazine, and countless other places. We're doing a Tribute to Frank Zappa, January 24th and 25th at 8PM at Indre Studios. Tickets are $7 and theyre selling out fast.<br><br>www.indrestudios.com for directions<br><br>Eric<br>P.S. - We do flawless versions of "Uncle Meat", "King Kong", and "City of Tiny Lites". Check it out everyone. Tell your friends.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:13 pm 

Danish tribute band: http://www.fzle.dk<br>They are awesome. Saw them live once and have some recordings. They are SO close to what Zappa+band sounded like. Even with the joking onstage and stuff. Not forced, just loads of fun onstage. Awesome musicians.<br>Unfortunately they took the sound samples from the site...<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:01 pm 

;D  Project Object   ;D<br>AHELLUVA GOOD TIME!  Seen 'em 4 times (Ike & Napoleon).  Never disappointed.  I was fortunate enough to see FZ Live in the 1980s and I'll tell ya, this group of musicians can throw down a variety of wonderful renditions.  P/O played in Germany in 2002    :D  arf!  <br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:37 am 

As far as I now, Project Object is the best one out there.  They are excellent and are filling the houses more and more each tour.  Hopefully, they will continue to attract alumni and rip it up!  If you get a chance, go see these guys.  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:58 pm 

Hi,<br><br>Just want inform you that I've put a FZ coverband together called "One More Time For The World". At the moment we've got two gigs here in the Malmö/Copenhagen (Sweden/Denmark) area in nov/dec. We've made a recording of "Brown Shoes Don't Make It".<br>If you're interested in FZ coverversions, check out my homepage www.annellssongs.com  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:41 pm 

http://www.boguspomp.com/record.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:32 am 

US spring tour for Project Object comming up...<br>Check them out, they are most likely playing somewhere near by if you are in the states.<br>www.projectobject.com