Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:38 am 

Right on, P/O is where it is at.  I have seen them a bunch of times and are always sick.  I'm going to check out a few shows on this tour, do see them if you havent yet.  Ike, Napoleon, and Preston on this tour, Woo Hoo!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:11 am 

I'll never see P\O, but if I was in a Fz cover band, I know I would open with Titties & Beer.  I'd get someone else to dress up as the devil tho.  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:44 pm 

Project Object contains many past band members and they are touring now!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:43 pm 

UNCLE MEAT is a Detroit-based FZ tribute<br><br>www.geocities.com/unclemeatmusic/go.html<br><br>temporary site 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:19 pm 

Went to see a portuguese band ZAPPANOIA and it was cool. They were very honest. FZ's music is a school and a treat for good musicianship... I take my hat to anyone willing and having the nerve to play Zappa music... Long live FZ tribute bands...<br>They will play at zappanale14<br>http://zappanoia.no.sapo.pt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:18 pm 

Friends tried a zappa cover band where i'm at and it did not go over well so now there doing skynyrd and doing well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:41 pm 

Sadly, that doesn't surprise me a bit.<br><br>I've discussed with friends that if someone were to start a Lynyrd Skynrd tribute band around here, they could probably get gigs 3 nights a week on a steady basis.<br><br>I'm happy to at least be able to sneek a couple of Zappa songs in when I play out. I'd LOVE to get a full band together and do one full set of my FZ favorites. I'd probably even do it for free, just to have the opportunity to do it.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:24 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=zappaning;num=1035463475;start=0#6 date=11/16/02 at 04:51:00]I have no desire to see a Zappa tribute band. Next there will be Zappa impersonators, Zappa stamps, and infomercials for Zappa best-of albums.....<br><br>My life is shallow enough as it is. I don't need to be considered a founder of a new Zappa religion....<br><br>He was a smart guy; he wrote cool music. Let's keep it at that.[/quote]<br><br>In response to the above old post: Playing Frank's music is not about religion or hero worship or impersonation or stamps or zappa dolls or lunchboxes or what have you. It's about the MUSIC.<br><br>I am a member of The Voice of Cheez. We perform FZ muzik in and around Buffalo, NY.  From this spectacular viewpoint, I will state: Frank's music is GREAT. It's even greater when you can play it yourself---if you like to be challenged and amused as a musician. VOC has a huge and truly appreciative audience for our gigs. It almost feels like being a "real" rock star, so yes, we do "get off" on the residual vibe. We even have some odd leftover Frank groupie types, and oh do they have stories to tell. <br><br>Bogus Pomp members--including Napoleon Murphy Brock---dug us back in May 2000. They had BIG GRINS on their faces...if that doesn't lend us credibility...well, then we just need to get Jimmy Carl Black to perform with us.<br><br>Somebody bootlegged us a while back, and that's been drifting around cyberspace. Stop by and feel free to bootleg some more! It's nice to be part of the current.<br><br><br>Check out The Voice of Cheez on Saturday May 10, 2003 at Nietzsches on Allen Street in Bufffalo. 8pm. <br><br>We like to play lots of tiny, fast notes, and plenty of mutated cheepnis. We are the world's' ONLY Zappa tribute band that is 50% female!!!! (Oooo-la-la, that should make them line up at the door!)javascript:wink()<br><br>The present day composer refuses to die (Edgard Verese).<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:29 pm 

Hey, where's my pumpkin????<br><br>javascript:wink()

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:21 pm 

[quote author=bside link=board=zappaning;num=1035463475;start=30#35 date=05/08/03 at 00:04:48]....and try to play stuff as Frank would have liked to hear it, ie... mutated...[/quote]looks very interesting, any chance of throwing some music files onto the site :)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:14 am 

www.unclemeat.com<br><br>Detroit's ONLY FZ tribute<br><br>xoxoxo meat<br><br>ps. hey VOC!! where are you at these days?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:48 pm 

anyone heard this one? they're from italy<br><br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:20 pm 

Hey Uncle Meat<br><br>VOC is still down the other end of Lake Erie from you all. <br><br>The Voice of Cheez is tentatively playing November 1st at our favorite "haunt" Nietzsche's in Buffalo.<br><br>Still workin' on the website. <br><br> >:(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:02 am 

hey VOC there you are!<br><br>'been trying to get in touch with you. I don't have yer email address, so if you'd be so kind as to pass it my way, would be most appreciated!<br><br>Are there any VOC mp3s floating around? they were mentioned up at united mutations... hmm<br><br>xoxoxo<br>meat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:52 am 

Voice_of_cheez- Is that you TREY?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:07 am 

Sorry, no reunion here. Nobody in Voice of Cheez is named Trey.  <br>We are what we iz:<br><br>Tom Fenton, guitar & lead vocals<br>Tina Peel, lead vocals and madness<br>Jim Iarocci, bass<br>George Olmsted, drums<br>Kilissa Cissoko, sax, flute, vocals<br>Cathy Carfagna, keys, vocals<br><br>with guest alumnus Rick McCrae sitting in on Trombone when he's around.<br><br>Hope you all can hitch a ride to Buffalo in November to catch our show.<br><br>More info to come.<br><br><br><br> ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:58 am 

Sounds rather phishy :-/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:13 am 

I saw the muffin men recently and contrary to popular opinion on this topic I thought their guitarist was the worst thing about them. Anyway they were fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:49 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=zappaning;num=1035463475;start=30#40 date=08/12/03 at 21:48:24]anyone heard this one? they're from italy<br><br>Image<br>[/quote]<br><br>Which one? The picture didn't show up.<br><br>Why didn't you just name the band?<br><br>If you mean Harmonia from Italy, they're excellent.<br><br>In fact, they're too good to be called a "cover band".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:55 pm 

"When Worlds Collide" is great, and I like Carl Bowry's playing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:20 pm 

www.ikewillis.com