Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:31 am 

I have been to the last zappa tour in 1988 and this concert in Umeå-Sweden last Weekend was almost as good. Ed Palermo big band with Mats Öberg and Morgan Ågren + some other good Swedish musician, Mats and Morgan played on the 1988 tour in Sweden live onstage with the man himself (Zappa) and also on the zappa tribute. The best part was Napoleon M Brock, he was grate, they played several tracks from the Roxy and Elsewhere album and if you closed your eyes it was almost like you were listening to the album. People were standing up and creaming. But the best part was after the concert when I and my buddies went to eat in a local restaurant, after about 20 minutes Napoleon M Brock walks in with the rest of the band.  :oI got the chance to talk to him and the man is great. Want a nice ending to a great day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:23 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=zappaning;num=1056029502;start=0#1 date=06/19/03 at 07:24:45]<br><br>Wow! :o<br>Now that sounds like a show![/quote]<br><br>;D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:53 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=zappaning;num=1056029502;start=0#1 date=06/19/03 at 07:24:45]<br><br>Wow! :o<br>Now that sounds like a show![/quote]<br><br>Cleaning up the arena must have taken quite some time...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:51 am 

Especially getting the stuff off the sofa-sofa.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:52 pm 

Image<br><br><br>he's also got one (big band zappa)with mike stern on a couple of tracks!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:54 am 

I've seen Ed Palermo in NYC for Zappaween and he looks nothing like that. He's not even that old...he's looks pretty young actually ;D >:(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:04 pm 

[center]Image[/center][center][sup]andre' cholmondeley and ed palermo 7/21/98 [/sup][/center]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:49 pm 

love love love napolean murphy brock !!!<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:54 am 

I've seen Napi recently w/Project/Object and the Grandmothers.  He is my favorite frontman EVER.<br><br>I always used to laugh when people used the term "frontman".  The types of concerts I enjoyed as a kid were the type FZ, Neil Young, and the Dead did: the MUSIC was the SHOW.  When someone said a person was a great frontman, I'd ask whether the person could sing or play well cuz that's all that really matters to me in a musical performance; that is what "entertains" me rather than a musician's "aura" or "stage persona".<br><br>That is, until I started seeing Napi in November 2003.  I cannot explain it.  Of course, I've always loved his singing and horn playing and went to hear that.  But I just cannot stop smiling when he's up there.  <br><br>Finally, after 40 years on this planet, I understand what someone means when they say a band had a good frontman.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF