Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:37 am 

hey ! the picture is nicer than I thought !<br><br>I'll post some more pics when I get then from my friend, it will take a couple of I guess...<br><br>funny to see how this concert was very different from the Belgium one, although they played the same music in the same way. this one was without seats, belgium venue was with seats - also the atmosphere in the crowd was different, etc. both times great great fun!<br><br>Ah had such a good time - what can there be against that ? makes me wonder WHY Gail keeps boycotting these guys ? <br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:36 pm 

see that chicken up there ? well, i found a chicken just like that half buried in the mud in the woods with mungo junior just 3 months ago - at first i thought it was a dead bird but after prodding it with a stick for a bit  it was just a rubber hen - i took it home and cleaned it up ( it had a bath in bleach ) i keep it on my pc now - will post a pic of it soon - i kid ya not, this is all true<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:23 am 

I saw the grand mothers last night in Den Haag. <br>When they finally got going and started playing Florentine Pogen I thought I was gonna cry. I never saw FZ live (having turned down a ticket to the 88 Oslo gig because I didn't like him back then, only to become a really big fan later that year and since then have collected most of his vinyl albums), but listening to Napoleon Murphy Brock singing and the guys playing tight as hell was just like listening FZ himself. I was blown to bits and pieces. If I could I would go again tonight, but I can't. <br>Big Swifty, Pound for a Brown, Andy...just to name a few...<br>"Requests? That'll be ten marks!" Hehe.<br><br>OK, so maybe it's a bit cheesy what they're doing, but hey, they're the only ones doing it in this neck of the woods. <br><br>And that drummer? Chris something-or-other? Wow!<br>Cheers,<br>Rune<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:03 pm 

[img width=150 height=150]http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/98/F2/mungorolls/1/36.jpg[/img]<br><br>thats the chicken i found - must have been destiny for us to meet<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:42 pm 

;) :-X  hey i caught the GRANDMOTHERS at the Borderline last saturday they were a very different incarnation than when they played the ASTORIA  --ANYWAAY THE NEXT THING zAPPanese that be happening here (apart from Yoko Ono's exhibition at the ICA) is on April 1st at the Barbican  === then i think there may be a migration to ZAPPANALe ( bless yu all - speaking like a mammy nun)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:45 am 

[quote author=dallas alice link=board=zappaning;num=1075121655;start=15#29 date=02/05/04 at 14:03:04][img width=150 height=150]http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/98/F2/mungorolls/1/36.jpg[/img]<br><br>thats the chicken i found - must have been destiny for us to meet<br><br>mungo[/quote]<br><br>its not that big, so it seems like you got a new bedtoy !! <br>won't it fit your wifes anus ? or your own ?<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:36 pm 

you are correcto - mine is tiny compared to roys - though how do you measure a chicken - a bit like how do you measure a ruler ? with what ?<br>these chickens must be purchasable from somewhere - where i dunno ( why dont BS stock em ? ) ? i have a feeling mine was an abused chicken - used as a dogs plaything.<br>oh yep - up the ass ? yes, if you freeze it it would fit nicely but at room tempature it is just too flacid for practical insertion - unless you have particularily gaping orifice that is. thats all i know now for now , when i find out more ill get back to ya.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:16 pm 

I like the chicken,mungo.....I saw one incarnation of the grandmothers and though very good ,it wasn't funny, or supertight or imaginative/improvisationally ..maybe gail is boycotting em cause they don't measure up to zappa'a actual standards anymore...(plus I'vepersonally heard less than complimentary things about fz's  biz dealings from a member of the original Mothers) I would love for someone like steve vai(NO wait he's the guy) that could put together a futuristic some original tribute to fz's vision including some of fz's actual musicians,,matching up to steve's expectations,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:35 pm 

right oh and hi there  zamwiz - next up TULLon saturday night.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:51 am 

Hey all,<br><br>I've got a question to the french amongst us. (or other people who know this, ofcourse)<br>I have to write a french review of a concert from the grannies, for school, but I have to find some articles too (in french). It doesn't matter which one of the concerts.<br>I didn't find one yet, so any help would be welcome. <br><br>Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:06 am 

thank you all for the replies  :(<br><br><br><br><br><br> :-*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:20 pm 

nice pics - anybody got any news regarding the grandmothers uk summer shows - i need to give work1 month notice to quit to become der groupie.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:20 pm 

I like this pic especially...<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:55 pm 

yes - a good pic.<br><br>this lack of anything grandmothers on the web regarding whats going to happen is really eating away at me - if anyone can get info i will pay whatever price they care to name. there is a link here - http://www.donpreston.com/ - but i cant get the thing to work ( pic at bottom of page ). ims a desperate.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:18 pm 

yes - i got as far as the NAPI web site just 5 mins ago and sent him an email for the dates - i am tearing my hair out as i just gotta see them again. as far as ims concerned NMB is the next best thing to high alcohol content drink - if i ever get the info i will never ever smoke a fag near the stage again - thats a promise.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:24 pm 

[center][glow=red,2,300]The Grandmothers Re:Invented[/glow]<br><br>I just received an email with an update of the band, previously know as, The Grandmothers. They have changed the name, and a bit more...I won't try to explain, they've done it for me...<br><br>From my Inbox to the Forum...<br><br>Not your Father's (or anyone else's)Mothers<br><br>THE<br>GRAND<br>MOTHERS<br>RE:INVENTED<br>[ftp]http://www.thegrandmothers.net[/ftp]<br><br>NEW NEWS<br>The Grand Mothers Re;Invented website has been changed, <br>it no longer thegrandmothers.com <br>it is now http:www.thegrandmothers.net and has a few new things that you might want to check out<br><br>*featuring former members of the mothers of invention<br>*Napoleon Murphy Brock(with FZ  1972 - 1984)<br>lead vocals, tenor & soprano saxophone(s), flute, suavenicity, dancing(!)<br><br>*Roy Estrada  (with FZ  1964 - 1984)<br>bass, Pachuco Falsettos and operatic madness<br><br>*Bunk Gardner(with FZ  1966 - 1970)<br>Tenor and  soprano  saxophones,  flute, alto flute, <br><br>*Don Preston(with FZ  1966 - 1974)<br>piano, keyboard  synthesizers, electronics, vocals<br><br>with jmusical guests<br>Ken Rosser - stunt guitar, regular guitar, loud guitar, vocals<br>Christopher Garcia - drumset, percussion, marimba, vocals<br>STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW<br>The Grand Mothers Re:Invented are different from previous Grand Mothers lineups:<br>The original GMs played only music they recorded/performed with FZ,<br>primarily between 1965 - 1969<br><br>The Grand Mothers Re:Invented  <br>play music written by FZ up through 1988 that they were personally involved with either in the studio and/or LIVE including music from:<br>Were only in it for the money<br>Freak Out <br>Absolutely Free<br>Live at the Roxy, <br>One Size Fits All, <br>Live in New York<br>Ship arriviing too late<br>etc., etc., etc.,etc.,  <br><br>This is their band<br>They are not special guests in someone else's tribute band<br>These are the Grand Mothers Re:Invented<br><br><br>THEY NEED YOUR HELP<br>Please send us your personal list of tunes that you would like to hear these folks play LIVE<br>Let us know so we can let them know<br>THANKS<br> :o[/center]<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:05 pm 

thank you for that daisy <br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:23 am 

[quote author=debutante daisy link=board=zappaning;num=1075121655;start=30#43 date=03/31/04 at 18:24:36][center][glow=red,2,300]The Grandmothers Re:Invented[/glow]<br><br>I just received an email with an update of the band, previously know as, The Grandmothers. They have changed the name, and a bit more...I won't try to explain, they've done it for me...<br><br>From my Inbox to the Forum...<br><br>Not your Father's (or anyone else's)Mothers<br><br>THE<br>GRAND<br>MOTHERS<br>RE:INVENTED<br>[ftp]http://www.thegrandmothers.net[/ftp]<br><br>NEW NEWS<br>The Grand Mothers Re;Invented website has been changed, <br>it no longer thegrandmothers.com <br>it is now http:www.thegrandmothers.net and has a few new things that you might want to check out<br><br>*featuring former members of the mothers of invention<br>*Napoleon Murphy Brock(with FZ  1972 - 1984)<br>lead vocals, tenor & soprano saxophone(s), flute, suavenicity, dancing(!)<br><br>*Roy Estrada  (with FZ  1964 - 1984)<br>bass, Pachuco Falsettos and operatic madness<br><br>*Bunk Gardner(with FZ  1966 - 1970)<br>Tenor and  soprano  saxophones,  flute, alto flute, <br><br>*Don Preston(with FZ  1966 - 1974)<br>piano, keyboard  synthesizers, electronics, vocals<br><br>with jmusical guests<br>Ken Rosser - stunt guitar, regular guitar, loud guitar, vocals<br>Christopher Garcia - drumset, percussion, marimba, vocals<br>STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW<br>The Grand Mothers Re:Invented are different from previous Grand Mothers lineups:<br>The original GMs played only music they recorded/performed with FZ,<br>primarily between 1965 - 1969<br><br>The Grand Mothers Re:Invented  <br>play music written by FZ up through 1988 that they were personally involved with either in the studio and/or LIVE including music from:<br>Were only in it for the money<br>Freak Out <br>Absolutely Free<br>Live at the Roxy, <br>One Size Fits All, <br>Live in New York<br>Ship arriviing too late<br>etc., etc., etc.,etc.,  <br><br>This is their band<br>They are not special guests in someone else's tribute band<br>These are the Grand Mothers Re:Invented<br><br><br>THEY NEED YOUR HELP<br>Please send us your personal list of tunes that you would like to hear these folks play LIVE<br>Let us know so we can let them know<br>THANKS<br> :o<br>[/quote]<br>Check out the new web site now. They are looking for our input.[/center]<br>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:27 am 

holy shit - i clicked on this -<br><br> http://www.thegrandmothers.net <br><br>and a weird thing happend - the grandmothers new website has apparently somehow fused with the official zappa website - you get the bottom zappa start buttons on the grandmothers site. i cant explain it - just try it. <br><br>whats happening ?<br><br>mungo