Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:38 am 

[quote author=The_Acadian link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#98 date=03/02/04 at 03:13:06]And also but thats not all....<br><br>I myself need music in my environnement at various times in the day.<br><br>My listening habits are various. I'll listen to most anything at least once. Hey i even listened to Oasis...once!<br><br>But honestly, i like Jazz and more precisely this kind of jazz if you can call it that...<br><br>http://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php<br><br>Nice covers, great recordings, and truely enjoyable music.<br><br>And sometimes i like to listen to the Butthole Surfers or Queen's of the Stone Age.....<br><br>If it sounds good to you it's bitchen...if it sounds bad to you it's Shitty. In a nutshell i guess.[/quote]<br><br>MMMMMmmmmm, try to find and listen to Egberto Gismonti (my favorite non symphonic composer after Frank Zappa).<br>Then there are excellent albums by John Surman, Kenny Wheeler, who play new interesting jazz forms.<br>Now I forget many things...oh, yes, Jan Garbarek (it is too "cold" to me but he is really a great musician).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:20 am 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#100 date=03/02/04 at 03:38:14]<br><br>MMMMMmmmmm, try to find and listen to Egberto Gismonti (my favorite non symphonic composer after Frank Zappa).[/quote]<br><br>Me Too! I've been listening to Egberto for years. Saw him in New York, Toronto and a couple of years back in Lyon. I even got to meet him and talk a bit about his music. He is a very nice guy.<br><br>And all those other musicians are great I think...I could always buy an ECM recording and find something i liked about it. Do you think some people here know about Terje Rypdal! The Odysse album should be on everyone's turntable at least once in their lifetimes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:45 am 

[quote author=The_Acadian link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#101 date=03/02/04 at 08:20:03]<br><br>Me Too! I've been listening to Egberto for years. Saw him in New York, Toronto and a couple of years back in Lyon. I even got to meet him and talk a bit about his music. He is a very nice guy.<br><br>And all those other musicians are great I think...I could always buy an ECM recording and find something i liked about it. Do you think some people here know about Terje Rypdal! The Odysse album should be on everyone's turntable at least once in their lifetimes.[/quote]<br><br>Good to know that you are an Egberto fan like me, Mr Green Genes and now MIZZU too.<br><br>Terje is a great guitarist. Some of records are really remarquable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:22 pm 

<br>Singer songwriters:<br>Tom Waits<br>Aimee Mann<br>Ani Difranco<br>Ben Folds<br>Elvis  Costello<br>sondre lerche<br>joe jackson<br>dave fitzhugh (www.dudethisrocks.com) formerly in a band called Yolk playing technically challenging hard rock music.  Now write great songs.   Great album title "honkey inferno"  I think Frank would be proud of that title......<br><br>Classic:<br>Stevie Wonder 69-79 yrs<br>sly stone<br>Prince fanatic<br>Chic<br><br>Music to rock out to:<br>Mr. Bungle<br>Maiden<br>Anthrax<br>Metallica up to Justice and Garage days.<br>ozzy<br>VH<br>ween<br><br>other:<br>Vic Wooten<br>fela kuti<br>charlie hunter<br>marley<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:44 pm 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=75#88 date=02/29/04 at 02:23:59]dear monster, <br><br>dunno if i been asking before..any recommendings on italian psych bands? found some files by chance, dunno how the dudes were called but found the italian language to match with psychedelic music in the *best way*! so i am after some more. <br>oh, and i took a picture of myself with some spaghetti, whatcha say to this. i didnt forget ya. <br>just gotten fucked up with the picture manager program so it may take a while til its to see. <br>you all got good taste! <br><br>wowie zowie!<br><br>btw.: for me...at the moment i am in a serious and extended amon düül/ can phaze. and the so-called `krautrock`. somebody love bands like ´faust´or so? <br>pretty cool. [/quote]<br><br>wowie calls monstermovie...monstermovie calls MIZZU...so...italy has a great tradition with 70's progressive rock...<br><br>the best are AREA with one of the greatest vocalist ever (in world rock-history, not only italian) called Demetrio Stratos.<br><br>AREA's best albums:<br>-ARBEIT MACHT FREI<br>-1978.GLI DEI SE NE VANNO GLI ARRABBIATI RESTANO<br>-GIOIA E RIVOLUZIONE (greatest hits)<br>-CRAC!<br>-CAUTION RADIATION AREA<br>-ARE(A)ZIONE (live)<br>-MALEDETTI (MAUDITS)<br><br>other great bands are:<br>BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO<br>(best album is RIP)<br><br>PFM<br>(best albums are STORIA DI UN MINUTO and CHOCOLATE KINGS)<br><br>STORMY SIX<br>(best album UN BIGLIETTO DEL TRAM)<br><br>LE ORME<br>(best albums COLLAGE and L'UOMO DI PEZZA)<br><br>...ther are many others but this are the best.<br><br>If you want to listen the "spaghetti velvet underground & nico" look for C.S.I. and their album IN QUIETE (1994)<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:48 pm 

[quote author=aalloca link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#104 date=03/09/04 at 14:22:00]<br><br><br>Stevie Wonder 69-79 yrs<br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Love him too!!!<br>but from 1972 to 1979...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:56 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=105#106 date=03/10/04 at 16:48:27]<br><br>Love him too!!!<br>but from 1972 to 1979...[/quote]<br><br>I simply adore Stevie Wonder !<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:07 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=105#105 date=03/10/04 at 16:44:11]<br><br>wowie calls monstermovie...monstermovie calls MIZZU...so...italy has a great tradition with 70's progressive rock...<br><br>the best are AREA with one of the greatest vocalist ever (in world rock-history, not only italian) called Demetrio Stratos.<br><br>AREA's best albums:<br>-ARBEIT MACHT FREI<br>-1978.GLI DEI SE NE VANNO GLI ARRABBIATI RESTANO<br>-GIOIA E RIVOLUZIONE (greatest hits)<br>-CRAC!<br>-CAUTION RADIATION AREA<br>-ARE(A)ZIONE (live)<br>-MALEDETTI (MAUDITS)<br><br>other great bands are:<br>BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO<br>(best album is RIP)<br><br>PFM<br>(best albums are STORIA DI UN MINUTO and CHOCOLATE KINGS)<br><br>STORMY SIX<br>(best album UN BIGLIETTO DEL TRAM)<br><br>LE ORME<br>(best albums COLLAGE and L'UOMO DI PEZZA)<br><br>...ther are many others but this are the best.<br><br>If you want to listen the "spaghetti velvet underground & nico" look for C.S.I. and their album IN QUIETE (1994)<br><br>ciao[/quote]<br><br>Ehmm.....Wowie,<br>When you asked for psychedelic italian groups I thought PRESENT (or almost) groups. Those groups are very old<br>so even I knew them. And I agree with MIZZU that they are the most important Italian groups of those years.<br>I also agree with MIZZU that AREA was the best group. Unfortunately the singer, Demetrio Stratos, died in a very tragic manner. He was simply great and I always regret he is not known outside Italy. Once more, I agree with MIZZU.<br>Furthermore with AREA also played a friend of mine, Massimo Urbani, who died 10 years ago. If you can read Italian look the article I wrote in the occasion of the tenth year of his dead<br><br>http://www.jazzitalia.net/quellaseracon/massimourbani.asp<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:42 am 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=105#108 date=03/11/04 at 13:07:40]<br><br>Ehmm.....Wowie,<br>When you asked for psychedelic italian groups I thought PRESENT (or almost) groups. Those groups are very old<br>so even I knew them. [/quote]<br><br>Ehmm.....Wowie,<br>Maybe you really want PRESENT groups.. ::) ::)<br>Well, in this case...try with<br><br>I GIARDINI DI MIRO'<br>(I don't go crazy for them but they are a great Italian music reality)<br><br>and <br><br>QUINTORIGO<br>(not really psichedelic but pretty progressive...I love their music and the singer is similar to Demetrio Stratos)<br><br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:19 am 

King Crimson<br>Yes<br>Gentle Giant<br>Phish<br>Tool <br>APC<br>Pat Methany<br>Mahavishnu<br>Jimi<br>Pink Floyd<br>Mars Volta<br>Jethro Tull<br>Radiohead<br>ELP <br>Curved Air<br>Coltrane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:50 am 

... My faves are:  Not in any particular order....<br><br>1.  ELP<br>2.  ELO<br>3.  Yes<br>4.  Peter Gabriel<br>5.  FZ<br>6.  Lynyrd Skynyrd<br>7.  Allman Bros.<br>8.  Marshall Tucker<br>9.  Charlie Daniels<br>10. Pat Metheny<br>11. Beatles<br>12. Rammstein<br>13. APC<br>14. Tool<br>15. Alice in Chains<br>16. The Outlaws<br>17. Rush<br>18. AC/DC<br>19. Stevie Ray Vaughn<br>20. Steely Dan<br>21. Tull<br>22. Pink Floyd<br>23. Kiss<br>24. Hall and Oates<br>25. Doobies<br>26. America<br>27. Michael McDonald<br>28. Kenny Loggins<br>29. Kansas<br>30. Boston<br>31. The Dead<br>32. David Bowie<br>............ too many more to list... ;D ;D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:29 am 

Spike Jones<br>Homer and Jethro<br>Tom Lerher<br>Allen Sherman<br>Kinks<br>Beatles<br>NBRQ<br>Nitty Gritty Dirt Band<br>Loudon Wainwright III<br>Howlin Wolf<br>Slim Harpo<br>Maria Muldaur<br>Dylan/Band<br>Allman Bros (with Duane/Berry)<br>Lynyrd Skynyrd (precrash)<br>Chuck Berry<br>Little Richard<br>Charlie Feathers<br>Johnny Cash<br>Carl Perkins<br>Sensational Alex Harvey Band<br>Daddy Cool<br>John Lennon<br>Jimi Hendrix<br>Cream<br>Moby Grape<br>Canned Heat<br><br><br><br> non music<br><br>New York Yankees<br><br>Honeymooners<br>Amos n' Andy<br>Sanford n' Son<br>Marx Bros<br>Buster Keaton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:48 am 

[quote author=Bobby link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=105#112 date=03/21/04 at 07:29:47]<br> non music<br><br>New York Yankees<br><br>Honeymooners<br>Amos n' Andy<br>Sanford n' Son<br>Marx Bros<br>Buster Keaton[/quote]<br><br>... What no "Odd Couple"... ???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:33 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=105#106 date=03/10/04 at 16:48:27]
Quote:
Stevie Wonder 69-79 yrs.
<br><br>Love him too!!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Simply one of the greatest runs of creativity in contemporary music history. <br><br>He had the last word in tonal songwriting IMO.<br><br>Absolute genius.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:25 pm 

I love Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan...<br><br>... and Daniele Sepe

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:01 am 

Beatles, George Harrison (solo), Kinks, Pink Floyd, Zepelin, Phish, Queen, ELO, BB King, Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Tom Petty, Cream, Hendrix, Elton John, Bowie, and the list goes on and on and on!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:07 am 

Love these posts.....Things I am into are, FZ, of course, and - Kiss, John Zorn / Naked City, Miles Davis, King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Otomo Yoshihide / Ground Zero, Ornette Coleman, Cpt. Beefheart, early Genesis, Eric Dolphy, Deinonychus, Charles Mingus, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Sun Ra, Melt Banana, Faith No More, Fantomas, Merzbow, Living Colour, AC/DC, Painkiller, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, John Coltrane, King Diamond, Celtic Frost,  Derek Bailey, Ruins, Godflesh, Public Enemy, Black Sheep, Pharcyde.........Lots of Death Metal / Grindcore like early Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Entombed, Massacre, Death, Terrorizer, Autopsy, Obituary, Brutal Truth, Repulsion, Cannibal Corpse, .....ok bored now

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:48 pm 

2004 Jammy award winners impress<br><br>If you like funk/reggae/rock jam bands maybe this is the deal for you!<br>Some confusion may be iminent coz they have changed their name from the previous "The Psychedelic Breakfast'<br>..to a simplified 'The Breakfast'<br>They also have an open taping and trading policy<br>Those with fast connections can d/l lossless quality shows >>HERE<<<br><br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>their 1st(?) album shows a painting of James Brown flying overhead of a FZ puppetmaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:24 am 

[quote author=Dysentery_Green link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=120#122 date=08/13/04 at 04:17:16]I listen to a wide range of great music, but during recent years I've been enjoying rocksteady & ska from the 60's quite a lot... and so-called postrock from Chicago, mainly The Sea and Cake. <br> <br>Always loved Beatles, Dylan and Stones... and Nick Drake is a big big favourite... <br>Among more recent bands I'd pick Yo La Tengo, Flaming Lips, High Llamas, Stereolab, Beta Band. Etcetera. [/quote]<br>the beta band are excellent  ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:19 am 

[quote author=Dysentery_Green link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=120#122 date=08/13/04 at 04:17:16]<br>I listen to a wide range of great music, but during recent years I've been enjoying rocksteady & ska from the 60's quite a lot.... [/quote]<br>Image<br><br>try this one, or others in that series...jackie mitoo, dawn penn, cedrick brooks etc., heavy on the organ;  i'm trying to collect multiple versions of no no no... <br><br>these are also irie, mon:<br><br>ImageImageImageImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next