Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:22 pm 

Although I haven't heard alot of it, some of my favorite songs are "Pressure Drop", "54-46 Was My Number" and "The Book Of Rules".<br>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:53 am 

My taste in music is very diverse so my list is all over the board.<br><br>Yes, early Genesis, Rush, Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Traffic, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Marshall Tucker, Led Zeplin, Jean Luc Ponti, Babe Ruth, late 60's and early 70's Motown, Uriah Heep, Steely Dan, Doobie Bros, Kansas, Boston, Queen, Zebra and the list could go on and on.<br><br>CG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:25 pm 

Loads of stuff.<br><br>Such as:<br><br>FZ<br>Red Hot Chili Peppers<br>Primus<br>Les Claypool + all his side stuff<br>Led Zep<br>Hendrix<br>Nirvana<br>Pink Floyd<br>Beatles<br>AC DC<br>GnR<br>Metallica<br>Van Halen<br>Fundadelic<br>SlyStone<br>Faith No More<br>Fishbone<br>Public Enemy<br>Chino XL<br>John Frusciante (solo)<br>Muse<br>Captain Beefheart<br>Satriani<br>Stevie Vai (he's a crazy guy...)<br>Stevie Ray Vaughn<br>Cypress Hill<br>Janes Addiction<br>Rage Against The Machine<br>Sex Pistols<br>Bad Brains<br>Misfits<br>NWA<br>Jaco Pastorias<br>West Side Story sound track...<br>...and probably a shitload of other stuff (damn that's a long list...)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:28 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
like a monkey, anything that swings...<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:43 am 

Miles Davis 8)John Coltrane 8)Muddy Waters

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:20 pm 

[quote author=timmo82 link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=120#131 date=12/07/04 at 16:19:41]The Who, Beatles, John Lennon/George Harrison solo, Rutles, Led Zep, John Paul Jones, Bob Dylan, Stones, Beefheart, Tom Waits, Doors, Sabbath, AC~DC, King Crimson, Neil Young, Bowie, Kinks, Cream, Hendrix, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Santana, Guns n Roses, System of a Down, Metallica, Slayer, The Mars Volta, The Coral, Doves, Coldplay, Tool, Beastie Boys, Oasis, Kings of Leon, Radiohead, The Clash, The White Stripes, Nirvana, Tenacious D, Television, Graham Coxon, RHCP, Miles Davis, Muse, Kyuss, Varese, Stravinsky, Funkadelic, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Echo & The Bunnymen, Jane's Addiction, Ween, Johnny Cash, Sex Pistols, The Fall..<br>[/quote]<br><br>Very good list, I like a lot of the artists you mention. And it's nice to read that another Zappa fan likes Oasis. That's one of my sins, but I grew up listening to them.  ;)<br><br>BTW, if you wanna try some great Funkadelic, get 'Maggot Brain'. <br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:51 am 

The Beatles, bjork, Jeff Beck, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Pink Floyd, Todd Rundgren, The Who, Steve Vai, David Gilmour<br> ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:59 am 

2 words: Shooby Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:13 pm 

Lessee... Now-a-days, I'm jamming out toooo:<br><br>Ween ;D<br>Mr. Bungle :o<br>Charles Wright and the 103rd Street Watts Rhythm Band ::)<br>Ebony Webb ???<br>The Bill Cosby Quincy Jones Jam Session ;)<br>Eek-a-Mouse (excellent reggae) ;D<br>Sugarman Three 8)<br>Poets of Rhythm :D<br>Cannible Corpse >:( (just keepin' it random)<br>Ol' Dirt McGirt<br>the Meters<br>Tortoise<br>Sound Tribe Sector 9 (although I find the hippy scene a little played out)<br><br>random...<br>hmm.....<br>what does it all mean?<br><br>Hey Does anyone here ever watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force?<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:18 pm 

[quote author=G.E.D.Funk link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=135#136 date=01/04/05 at 19:13:22]Lessee... Now-a-days, I'm jamming out toooo:<br><br>Ween ;D<br>Mr. Bungle :o<br>Charles Wright and the 103rd Street Watts Rhythm Band ::)<br>Ebony Webb ???<br>The Bill Cosby Quincy Jones Jam Session ;)<br>Eek-a-Mouse (excellent reggae) ;D<br>Sugarman Three 8)<br>Poets of Rhythm :D<br>Cannible Corpse >:( (just keepin' it random)<br>Ol' Dirt McGirt<br>the Meters<br>Tortoise<br>Sound Tribe Sector 9 (although I find the hippy scene a little played out)<br><br>random...<br>hmm.....<br>what does it all mean?<br><br>Hey Does anyone here ever watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force?<br><br>[/quote]<br>when i'm hungry

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:23 pm 

[quote author=timmo82 link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=120#131 date=12/07/04 at 16:19:41]Anyone got any funk music recommendations? I'm lovin' what I have of Funkadelic (a best of). James Brown, Stevie Wonder mebbe?<br>(Jeff Beck too please, I've heard he's really fluid ::))<br><br>[center]MUSIC IS THE BEST!<br>Image<br> 8)[/center][/quote]<br><br><br>Ok for funk You are gonna want to pick up: The Meters, Jimmy Mcgriff, Rasputin Stash, Go with some Funky compilations like the Funky 16 Corners, or anything with the words "Deep Funk" involved.   <br><br>As Far as jeff Beck, the funkiest stuff he's done, i think, was Blow by Blow.<br><br>Play dat Shit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:56 pm 

timmo82...pick up blow by blow, wired and live with jan hammer group for the funky ass jeff beck. there my favs...so funky.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:41 am 

Apart from Frank :<br><br>Mike Keneally<br>Todd Rundgren<br>Alice Cooper<br>The Residents<br>Max Webster<br>Yes (early )<br>Gentle Giant<br>Alex Harvey Band<br>Ted Nugent<br>    & lots more besides<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:55 am 

The Clash<br>Stones<br>Funkadelic<br>Curtis Mayfield<br>Weather Report<br><br>If you want FUNK: Hardcore Jollies - Funkadelic. <br><br><br><br>Anyone seen The Dub Room Specials video from the Compact Video days? <br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:51 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:53 am 

Non-FZ/Beefheart/Dweezil/etc. stuff, in no particular order:<br><br>Neil Young<br>Ramones<br>Metallica<br>Motorhead<br>Pink Floyd/Roger Waters/David Gilmour<br>Kiss<br>Talking Heads<br>They Might Be Giants<br>Pearl Jam<br>The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed<br>The Insane Clown Posse<br>Eric B. and Rakim<br>EPMD<br>The Beatles<br>The Rolling Stones<br>The Who<br>Bowie<br>Elvis Costello<br>Megadeth<br>Zeppelin<br>Sabbath<br>Napalm Death<br>The Clash<br>Ornette Coleman<br>Miles Davis<br>Eric Dolphy<br>Varese<br>Ives<br>Stravinsky<br>Schoenberg<br>Dr. Demento<br>Run-D.M.C.<br>Soundgarden<br>P-Funk<br>Iron Maiden<br>Judas Priest<br>Ice-T<br>Hendrix<br>Allmans<br>White Zombie/Rob Zombie<br>and on and on and on<br>

http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/jasonsite/gsteele.html

http://www.lincolnconspiracy.com

Opal you hot little bitch!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:13 am 

Black Sabbath<br>AC/DC<br>Led Zeppelin<br>Metallica<br>Ozzy Osbourne<br>Black Label Society<br>Venom<br>Status Quo<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:21 am 

You really wanna know do ya?<br><br>Captain Beefheart<br>Half-japanese<br>!!!<br>R. Stevie Moore<br>Edgard Varése<br>Jens Lekman<br>Eugene Chadbourne<br>Badly Drawn Boy<br>John Cale<br>The Velvet underground<br>Aphex twin<br>Soft Cell<br>386 DX<br>Bruce Springsteen<br>The residents<br>The beatles<br>Negativland<br>The doors<br>610Toresco<br>Bob Brozman<br>Ween<br>Ground Zero<br>The boredoms<br>Einstürzende Neubauten<br>Morton Feldman<br>Karlheinz Stockhausen<br>Tom Waits<br>Cornelis Vreeswijk<br>Gudied by voices<br>Charles Dodge<br>Frontier<br>Bob Hund<br>Tunnan & Moroten<br>Air<br>Public Enemy<br>Beastie Boys<br>Naked City<br>John Zorn<br>Manu Chao<br>Many Negra<br>Drunk <br>Califone<br>Joy Division<br>Labraford<br>Cul de sac<br>Godspeed you black emperor<br>Blectum form blechdom<br>Steffen Basho-jungans<br>Sigur Rós<br>The Clash<br>Gentle Giant<br>The soundtracks of our lives<br>Björk<br>Denis Leary<br>The beach boys<br>Röyksopp<br>Beck<br>The doors<br>mikel<br>The Hives<br>Red hot chili peppers<br>Primus<br>Faith no more<br>Brian Eno<br>Underworld<br>Rage against the machine<br>Radiohead<br>The pogues<br>Steve vai<br>Moby<br>David Bowie<br>Philip Glass<br>Clifton Chenier<br>Andres Segovia<br>Brandford marsalis<br>Tenacious D<br>Bebel Gilberto<br>Os Mutantes<br>Craig Chaquico<br>Ry Cooder<br>Fläskkvartetten<br>Al Di meola<br>Chieli minucci<br>Cesaria Evora<br>David Sylvian<br>Iron and Wine<br>Nick Drake<br>Bright eyes<br>Lambchop<br>John Cage<br>Yo La Tengo<br>Wild man fischer<br>Chumbawamba<br>Dream Theater<br>Supertramp<br>Vangelis<br>R.E.M<br>Bob Dylan<br>Pink Floyd<br>nazareth<br>Metallica<br>Michael jackson<br>kraftwerk<br>Iron Maiden<br>Jimi Hendrix<br>Devo<br>Leftfield<br>Big fish<br>Weezer<br><br>And tons of new weekly sometimes daily discoveries.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 am 

Punk and post punk<br>Blues<br>Hard Bop<br>Ellington<br>Old Time American music<br>Gospel<br>R&B circa 49 to 59<br>Deep Soul<br>Rock circa 67 to 74<br>British pub rock 74 to 79<br><br>all sorts of stuff really !!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:55 am 

[quote author=timmo82 link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=120#131 date=12/07/04 at 16:19:41]<br><br><br><br><br>Anyone got any funk music recommendations? I'm lovin' what I have of Funkadelic (a best of). James Brown, Stevie Wonder mebbe?<br>(Jeff Beck too please, I've heard he's really fluid ::))<br><br>[center]MUSIC IS THE BEST!<br>Image<br> 8)[/center][/quote]<br><br>-Mandrill-<br>check out their new "Live" CD <br><br>www.mandrillis.com<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:16 am 

as far as the older stuff here is what I like:<br>The Who<br>Led Zep<br>PF<br>The Cars<br>Sabbath<br>AC/DC<br>Rush<br>Yes<br><br>AS far as the newer stuff goes<br><br>The Darkness Rocks<br> and then there is this band I just found out of nowhere called Porcupine Tree.  They rock pretty hard, kind of like a decafeinated Opeth.<br><br>What else is out there Zappa people

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next