Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:13 pm 

mostly guitar based stuff<br><br>Black Sabbath<br>Iron Maiden<br>Judas Priest<br>CoC<br>Triumph<br>Rhett Tyler<br>Tool<br>Pink Floyd<br><br>nothing like the sound of a guitar being used, abused and confused :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:38 pm 

In the very early days, it was 40% Zappa, 30% Beach Boys, and 30% everything else which consisted of a mainstay of:<br>ELP<br>Yes<br>Tull<br>Zepplin<br>Stones<br>Cream<br>Quicksilver<br><br><br>guest appearances from:<br>Animals<br>Iron Butterfly<br>The Doors<br>King Crimson<br>Simon and Garfunkle<br>Ten Years After<br>Temptations<br>Electric Prunes, http://electricprunes.net  and http://www.electricprunes.com/<br><br>With albums of honerable mention:<br>West Coast Pop Art Experemental Band, Part One. http://members.rott.chello.nl/cvanderlely/wcpaeb.html<br>Who's Next<br>James Gang Rides Again<br>Get Your Wings<br>Dark Side of the Moon<br>Flexable<br><br>I didn't listen to the Beatles much, until later I used them to learn a little guitar. I sorta discovered them late.<br><br>And in more recent times:<br>Quicksand<br>Helmet<br>Tool<br>Dream Theater<br>Dredg<br>Nonpoint<br>Chevelle<br><br>Special mention goes to Automatic, and Supersexy Swingin' Sounds(:<br><br>From other places:<br>http://www.nasrot.cz/    <br>http://www.totalgroup.ru/<br><br>and Moral Code X, (my favorites from them are the 4th and 5th ones down, if the individual songs don't play, the 'listen to this album' link will)<br>http://www.rbcmp3.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=25626 (f<br><br><br>Here's all my records, I turned them all into MP3's, now they're all just a click away(:<br><br>http://www.znakomi.com/4user/znakomi/musiclibrary_oct03.txt<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:34 am 

the the, depeche mode, velvet underground, aphex twin, guided by voices, air, iron maiden, opeth, simple minds, the cure, and many others i cant think of right now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:08 am 

Can - Soft Machine - Beefheart - Radiohead - Autechre - Tortoise - Bartok - Robert Wyatt - Bix Beiderbecke - Mahavishnu Orchestra - Squarepusher - Steve Reich - Fela Kuti - Ravel - Stevie Wonder - Miles Davis - Jimi Hendrix - Shostakovich - Cornelius - Trilok Gurtu - Manu Chao - Stereolab - Fridge - Godspeedyoublackemperor!<br><br>Among many others.<br><br> :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:43 pm 

[quote author=flammaster link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=75#82 date=02/25/04 at 21:34:44]i really Love TV Game show and cartoon Theme Music from the 50's and 60's.[/quote]<br><br>Hanna-Barbera had some really great themes and sound effects, didn't they? The best places to hear them are on Yogi Bear and Quick Draw McGraw cartoons. Ka-bong! ;D<br>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:00 pm 

Today at 21:34 flammaster wrote:
Quote:
i really Love TV Game show and cartoon Theme Music from the 50's and 60's.
<br><br>  May I be so bold as to mention a hither too unknown composer of cartoon  music<br> Although this was not his intention ,a guy at Warner Bros.(Carl Stalling) seen it different<br> His name was Raymond Scott,..and the albums called<br>Image  Reckless Nights and Turkish Twilights<br><br>[sub]
Quote:
What can you say about a man who inspired cartoon melodies and bebop, invented Frank Zappa and electronic music, and still found time to work for-Motown?"<br>- Andy Partridge, songwriter & leader of XTC
[/sub]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:09 am 

I recently bought Subterranian Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan. It's my first Dylan record, and I like it a lot. <br>Usually, when I don't listen to Zappa, I listen to classical music... Many of the composers I like, are people I became aware of through Zappa. <br>My favourites right now are Anton Webern, Iannis Xenakis and Karlheinz Stockhausen. But I also like Berg, Bartok, Schönberg, Penderecki and others.<br>Sometimes I listen to jazz - Chet Baker and Miles Davis are great. And I like people with unusual voices, like Björk, Edith Piaf etc. <br>I have a couple of CD's with a Bulgarian choir... I know Zappa liked Bulgarian music, and I found these records at a ridiculously low price, bought them... and they're great.<br>And I like Beefheart, and Spike Jones, and Monty Python Sings... and a lot of other stuff. Rachmaninoff is good too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:46 am 

Hello all,  I am new here, just wanted to find a place with other Frank Zappa fans, nice to meet yall.  Some of the things I listen to.<br>Well obviously Frank Zappa.<br><br>I like alot of different styles.  I like bluegrass and such artistis as Seldom Scene, New Grass Revival, Bela Fleck and The Flecktones, and of course Allison Krauss and Union Station.<br><br>I also really like jazz.  Thelonios Monk being my favorite.  I also enjoy John Scofield, and of course Herbie Hancock.<br><br>Big fan of classical.  Bach's my favorite. but I love classical guitar, so I have to include Andres Segovia, Andrew York, and of course Christopher Parkening.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:05 am 

I love so many musics, authors, interprets...impossible to list my favourites. It is unjust to list the "top five" (amongst them Frank, sure) or something like that.<br><br>Music is fantastic, to me the best human activity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:23 am 

dear monster, <br><br>dunno if i been asking before..any recommendings on italian psych bands? found some files by chance, dunno how the dudes were called but found the italian language to match with psychedelic music in the *best way*! so i am after some more. <br>oh, and i took a picture of myself with some spaghetti, whatcha say to this. i didnt forget ya. <br>just gotten fucked up with the picture manager program so it may take a while til its to see. <br>you all got good taste! <br><br>wowie zowie!<br><br>btw.: for me...at the moment i am in a serious and extended amon düül/ can phaze. and the so-called `krautrock`. somebody love bands like ´faust´or so? <br>pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:47 am 

[center]I really have been diggin' Jeff Beck of late.<br>But i also love (Beside FZ, of course): Tim Buckley, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Nick Drake, Dave Brubeck, Ani DiFranco, Tool, Devo, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, the list goes on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on[/center]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:57 am 

yeh, cutey, nick-nack drake! i am proud to present, you got me into him by telling to try a listen and so i did. <br>discovered i already knew him (come together) but not that good. got only shoddy mp3 file but like him a lot. <br>love, <br>wowie!<br><br>and i surely must recommend: nico! listen to nico, people. her last concert. amazing. creepy. heartbreaking. been watching the video last nite/this morning for the 1000th time and it still is great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:32 am 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=75#88 date=02/29/04 at 02:23:59]dear monster, <br><br>dunno if i been asking before..any recommendings on italian psych bands? found some files by chance, dunno how the dudes were called but found the italian language to match with psychedelic music in the *best way*! so i am after some more. <br>oh, and i took a picture of myself with some spaghetti, whatcha say to this. i didnt forget ya. <br>just gotten fucked up with the picture manager program so it may take a while til its to see. <br>you all got good taste! <br><br>wowie zowie!<br><br>btw.: for me...at the moment i am in a serious and extended amon düül/ can phaze. and the so-called `krautrock`. somebody love bands like ´faust´or so? <br>pretty cool. [/quote]<br><br>Ciao Wowie,<br><br>You already asked about italian psychedelic bands. <br>Unfortunately I must repeat my answer.  :-[<br>Unfortunately I am an almost old men who loves jazz and FZ. The only psych band I remember is Pink Floyd...and they are not Italian. :-[ :-[<br><br>Sorry.<br>But ask MIZZU, hoping he can help you.<br><br><br>As regards CAN, Amon Düll and Faust I listened to those groups almost 30 years ago. It was not my favorite music but they were all interesting. Faust where very strange however. You can probably tell me if it is true that Faust members were really nazis or if this was an urban legend of those, far, years.<br>Ciao  :)<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:05 pm 

alright then, mizzu, are there any italian psych bands you can recommend? thank you very much.<br>concerning the nazi question.....at first: how old are you? cuz i always thought of you being a eh, youngster?! whatever, hell, no, they werent nazis as far as i know. theres many usages to the word ´kraut´, you know. they were more like hippies. kinna cabbage eating hippies. maybe they took some acid too. <br>i know amon düül (I and II) did. you can hear that out. <br>if not, touch a wire, then you will. <br>love and regards, <br>wowie zowie!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:33 pm 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#92 date=02/29/04 at 23:05:06]<br>at first: how old are you? cuz i always thought of you being a eh, youngster?![/quote]<br><br>I am 47 (thanks for thinking of me as a youngster  :))<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:49 am 

i see. but this IS young. anyways age is just a....say....passage. yeah, thats cool. so lets say like so. plus i been hearing monsters dont age anyway. <br>they just develop more muscle and their skin kinna hardens out. til they turn to rocks one day and scare the shit outta tourists by farting from time to time. secretly of course. get the picture?<br><br>regards, <br>wowie zowie!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:21 am 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#94 date=03/01/04 at 11:49:08]i see. but this IS young. anyways age is just a....say....passage. yeah, thats cool. so lets say like so. plus i been hearing monsters dont age anyway. <br>they just develop more muscle and their skin kinna hardens out. til they turn to rocks one day and scare the shit outta tourists by farting from time to time. secretly of course. get the picture?<br><br>regards, <br>wowie zowie![/quote]<br><br>It's nice Wowie.<br>Ciao  ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:12 am 

[quote author=wowie_zowie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#90 date=02/29/04 at 02:57:10]yeh, cutey, nick-nack drake! i am proud to present, you got me into him by telling to try a listen and so i did. <br>discovered i already knew him (come together) but not that good. got only shoddy mp3 file but like him a lot. <br>love, <br>wowie!<br><br>and i surely must recommend: nico! listen to nico, people. her last concert. amazing. creepy. heartbreaking. been watching the video last nite/this morning for the 1000th time and it still is great. [/quote]<br>If you can, find the album Pink Moon. <br>It's very raw, just him and a guitar. Very emotional, very depressing album. Very sad. Recorded in one night, just him and a guitar. So moving.<br><br>Gald you like him, Wowie.<br><br>Ta-ta!<br>ISC.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:06 am 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#91 date=02/29/04 at 13:32:31]<br><br>You already asked about italian psychedelic bands. <br>The only psych band I remember is Pink Floyd...and they are not Italian. :-[ :-[<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Ciao MonsterMov,<br><br>How about that italian band PFM, I had an album by them called Chocolate Kings that was pretty out there.<br><br>The Acadian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:13 am 

And also but thats not all....<br><br>I myself need music in my environnement at various times in the day.<br><br>My listening habits are various. I'll listen to most anything at least once. Hey i even listened to Oasis...once!<br><br>But honestly, i like Jazz and more precisely this kind of jazz if you can call it that...<br><br>http://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php<br><br>Nice covers, great recordings, and truely enjoyable music.<br><br>And sometimes i like to listen to the Butthole Surfers or Queen's of the Stone Age.....<br><br>If it sounds good to you it's bitchen...if it sounds bad to you it's Shitty. In a nutshell i guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:35 am 

[quote author=The_Acadian link=board=zappaning;num=1048380203;start=90#97 date=03/02/04 at 03:06:43]<br><br><br>Ciao MonsterMov,<br><br>How about that italian band PFM, I had an album by them called Chocolate Kings that was pretty out there.<br><br>The Acadian[/quote]<br><br>PFM = Premiata Forneria Marconi.<br>They were, in the early '70s, a sort of "spaghetti version" of King Crimson, Gentle Giant and other prog-rock bands of that epoch.<br>Despite my "cynic" definition they were really very good and professional musicians, even if I did not like their music.<br>I did not follow thair production since but I knwo they are still active because a friend of mine has played violin with them recently. Of course the original formation has changed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next