Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:11 am 

If I had a radio show on a licensed internet radio station, and planned on playing the Capitol release of the All Orchestral Lumpy Gravy on it, would there be any legal problems with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:24 am 

hi, i am a very imporant person.. send it to me... and i will send it back again.. with a not that says, "thanks". i will then listen to the dub i made in my car and whistle to it...... ladi ladi da

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:50 pm 

Jon.G wrote:
If I had a radio show on a licensed internet radio station, and planned on playing the Capitol release of the All Orchestral Lumpy Gravy on it, would there be any legal problems with that?

you've got a Capitol Instrumental release of Lumpy Gravy?:shock:
That was supposedly never released. Or is it the acetate <sounds scratchy> that's now widely available on the net?

Zappa said in the Society Pages USA #2, 1990 that MGM wouldn't let Capitol release that and after a year, MGM bought the rights of it from Capitol. FZ presumably got the masters of that back when he rebought them in the '80's. Even tho he used some of the instrumental stuff for Money and the Verve/MGM release of Lumpy Gravy.
If it's the acetate that's widely available for free already (substandard release quality), the family may not care. But if it is a pristine instrumental master that Capitol had at one time well . . .

Send an email to Gail or Joe as they *may* be preparing a special project next year of that very stuff and providing a wider 'distribution' would very much be in their interest . . . and might very well be a legal issue.

as much as I'd love to hear it, that's my 2 cents as I'd rather see the family release it, hearing how great the new MOFO is :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:03 am 

Actually, what I have is the same bootlegs that have been floating around, and too much free time. I've been working on cutting and pasting it together using the MGM/Verve release, and the bootleg where necessary. I've been using as my guide the bootleg, and this link, http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/misc/Lumpy_Gravy.html.
However, I've found a few things I disagree with on that link. Without going into too much detail, there are places where parts from earlier are repeated, and the link lists them as coming from the same place on the MGM album as the previous repeat, where I've actually found that that isn't really the case, it wasn't a case of cut and pasting from earlier, there are minor differences in the performance. So, I've been paying very close attention to detail, and making sure anything I take from the Verve lumpy gravy to replace audio on the orchestral bootleg is the exact same. My goal is to make something that is exactly as it originally was, with the best sounding sources I can get my hands on. Plus try to get the best sound possible out of the bootleg recordings with my careful use of noise reduction and eqing.

I guess I need to ask what their email is. I thought questions to them went here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:45 am 

oh!
gail's email is gail@zappa.com
dunno if she checks that tho.
On the other hand, Joe Travers the vaultmeister often answers his and that
is vaultmeister@zappa.com
cheers

but who knows they may NOT answer, it may be too close . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:00 am 

yep, I've spent hours poring over that page but never had soundforge or an equivalent and time. my hunch w/r/t yer project is that they probably wouldn't go for it. Others have tried similar things and not even got a 'thanx fer trying, guy' kinda feedback. Some get cease and desist letters.

In a sense, I agree with you. Let the music be free, spread it around so more can hear it. But in another sense, I can see it too as taking a Picasso or Van Gogh and taking half the colors out and calling it better. Make it for yerself, give it to yer friends. I make mixtapes and cd's all the time, tho I know that is not on the level of involvement of what yer doing. but it is probably how they see it.
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:19 am 

Maybe they'll decide to put the Capitol orchestral version in The MOLG ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:44 am 

that's my wish too Marouai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:45 am 

Well, I did drop them both an email. I haven't heard back anything yet, so I can't say for sure if my restoration will be broadcasted or not. But, if it will be, it might happen this Friday at www.wildbunchradio.com at half past midnight (technically Saturday morning, if you want to get technical about it) EST. Either way, it's a fun show to tune into if you want to hear something different that isn't anything like normal radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:24 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
that's my wish too Marouai

LOL, actually my nickname is MarouaL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:37 pm 

Well.....the guy that does the show before me has decided his show ends at 1, even though it doesn't. So if you've been tuning in to hear not Zappa, it's because I'm not on yet. But he should be getting off the stream soon, I should be on by 1 EST if you wanted to tune in. It's gonna be an all Zappa show tonight, www.wildbunchradio.com. Tune in.