Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:08 pm 

Next 2008 will be the 20th anniversary from the last tour of FZ.

One of the best bands Frank ever had I think it deserves one of the best releases of those concerts which were filmed by him in 1988.

That´s my idea for this anniversary to come. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm 

An interesting and a formidable idea. Great video footage of that band would be great. I'd like to see how FZ et al operate Synclavier onstage (a la "Yuppies Go To Hell")!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:53 am 

Aybe Sea wrote:
An interesting and a formidable idea. Great video footage of that band would be great. I'd like to see how FZ et al operate Synclavier onstage (a la "Yuppies Go To Hell")!

He was like a little kid playing with a toy. It was heartwarming. It really amused him. He'd look out at the audience as if to seek approval. "Look at what I did!" At least that was my impression at the one NY Beacon show I attended (scalped a ticket for 20 bucks. 6th row right orch on the aisle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:54 am 

Yes, great idea.
How about the 1988 Barcelona Concert, that was taped from start to finish, if i am not mistaking.

Would be one hell of a birthday-present when i turn 25 in 2008 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:16 am 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
Yes, great idea.
How about the 1988 Barcelona Concert, that was taped from start to finish, if i am not mistaking.

Would be one hell of a birthday-present when i turn 25 in 2008 :lol:

Yes, Barcelona was taped until the end & it will need a better audio remastering. :)

But I was thinking of those unkown concerts such as Madrid, Vienna & probably some American which FZ´s crew shot in 1988 & we know they are in FZT archives.

And by the way these are better than Barcelona show according to reviews I read & comments of Mike Keneally. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:39 pm 

My favourite video footage from the 88 tour is from the rehearsals on Feb. 14, 1988 at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia. Among other things (Sleep Dirt !) you can see FZ toying with the synclavier. Great stuff !

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videogra ... werTheatre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
My favourite video footage from the 88 tour is from the rehearsals on Feb. 14, 1988 at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia. Among other things (Sleep Dirt !) you can see FZ toying with the synclavier. Great stuff !

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videogra ... werTheatre

Sure :!:

The rehearsals could be at the begining of the dvd as intro to any show or shows...who knows. :lol:
Better, now should be a double dvd I think... :lol:
Because they must have enough material for that...:lol: & more... if not look at the MOFO´s & that happened forty years ago... :!:

After the shows some special footage, interviews at that time & now to the whole rest of living musicians, fans, venues, photos, Keneally´s diary updated, synclavier directions for use... :lol:... you know pretty good stuff... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:18 pm 

It'd be sweet if those 11 guys got together to tour, though i know Thunes is out like a sucker, cos i'm on track like a long island train.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:34 pm 

Come out with a tour DVD

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mother, your Dad, your priest, to some guy on television, to any of the people telling you how to do your shit, then you DESERVE it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:18 am 

I threw 2 fly swatters up to Frank Zappa at the Milan gig, as none of the Italians in Milan bothered to remember their history of the 1981 riot ( Tamburini cover Utopia)

FZ was really pleased, as he understood the reference and gave me a reassuring thumbs up, as the caribinieri started to pummel me to the ground.

He used them through the rest of the tour when he wanted to swish something around. I distinctly remember that nights 'Advance Romance' had plenty of improv references to swatters, and swattys as a result.

I hope someone has a recording of the remainder of the gigs to establish my point.

I do recall he conducted with the swatters. A very proud moment for me.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:43 am 
Banned

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
I threw 2 fly swatters up to Frank Zappa at the Milan gig, as none of the Italians in Milan bothered to remember their history of the 1981 riot ( Tamburini cover Utopia)

FZ was really pleased, as he understood the reference and gave me a reassuring thumbs up, as the caribinieri started to pummel me to the ground.

He used them through the rest of the tour when he wanted to swish something around. I distinctly remember that nights 'Advance Romance' had plenty of improv references to swatters, and swattys as a result.

I hope someone has a recording of the remainder of the gigs to establish my point.

I do recall he conducted with the swatters. A very proud moment for me.

2 June 1988
Palatrussardi
Milano, Italy
110 min, Aud, B+

The Black Page #2, Packard Goose/Royal March From L'Histoire Du Soldat/Piano Concerto No. 3, Any Kind Of Pain, Stick Together, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama, Willie The Pimp, Montana, City Of Tiny Lites, Pound For A Brown, I Ain't Got No Heart, Love Of My Life, Inca Roads, Advance Romance, Bobby Brown, The Torture Never Stops/Theme From Bonanza/The Torture Never Stops pt II/Lonesome Cowboy Burt/The Torture Never Stops pt III, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Bolero, Whipping Post

3 June 1988
Palasport
Torino, Italy
130 min, Aud, B+

The Black Page #2, We're Turning Again, Alien Orifice, Cosmik Debris, Stolen Moments, Outside Now, Cruising For Burgers, When The Lie's So Big, Planet Of The Baritone Women, Any Kind Of Pain, Eat That Question, Black Napkins, Bamboozled By Love, Sharleena, The Closer You Are, Johnny Darling, No No Cherry, The Man From Utopia Meets Mary Lou, Loops, Peaches En Regalia, Stairway To Heaven, Bolero, Crew Slut

5 June 1988
Palasport
Modena, Italy
94 min, Aud, B

The Black Page #2, I Ain't Got No Heart, Love Of My Life, Let's Move To Cleveland, Find Her Finer, Marque-Son's Chicken, Stick Together, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama, Willie The Pimp, Dupree's Paradise, City Of Tiny Lites, You Are What You Is, More Trouble Every Day, Penguin In Bondage, Hot-Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, Sofa, Sharleena, The Closer You Are, Johnny Darling, No No Cherry, Bolero, Crew Slut

6 June 1988
Palasport
Firenze, Italy
130 min, Aud, B-

The Black Page #2, We're Turning Again, Alien Orifice, Mr. Green Genes, Florentine Pogen, Andy, Inca Roads, Advance Romance, Bobby Brown, What's New In Baltimore?, Easy Meat, Let's Make The Water Turn Black/Harry, You're A Beast/Orange County Lumber Truck/Oh No/Theme From Lumpy Gravy, Sharleena, Peaches En Regalia, Stairway To Heaven, You Are What You Is, Whipping Post, I Am The Walrus, The Illinois Enema Bandit, Bolero

7 June 1988
PalaEUr
Roma, Italy
Soundcheck: 39 min, Aud, B-

FZ guitar check (including Zoot Allures, Arrivederci Roma, Filthy Habits), FZ tries out tonight's loops, Sofa, Dupree's Paradise, Purple Haze, You Are What You Is, Don't Touch My Hair, The Closer You Are, Chana In De Bushwop, Arrivederci Roma, Aïda/Arrivederci Roma, Bolero/Aïda/Arrivederci Roma
Concert: 116 min, Aud, B/B-
The Black Page #2 (q: Arrivederci Roma), Packard Goose/Royal March From L'Histoire Du Soldat/Piano Concerto No. 3, More Trouble Every Day, Penguin In Bondage (q: Arrivederci Roma), Hot-Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel, Dupree's Paradise, Find Her Finer, Filthy Habits, I Ain't Got No Heart, Love Of My Life, Zoot Allures, City Of Tiny Lites, Pound For A Brown (q: Arrivederci Roma), Bamboozled By Love, Stairway To Heaven, Eat That Question, Black Napkins, The Closer You Are, Johnny Darling, No No Cherry, Bolero, Royal March From Aida, Arrivederci Roma, Crew Slut (q: Arrivederci Roma)

9 June 1988
Palasport
Genova, Italy
135 min, Aud, B
The very last concert of the very last Frank Zappa tour...

The Black Page #2, I Ain't Got No Heart, Love Of My Life, Marque-Son's Chicken, Elvis Has Just Left The Building, Cruising For Burgers, Who Needs The Peace Corps?/I Left My Heart In San Francisco, Outside Now, Dupree's Paradise, Find Her Finer, Big Swifty, Rhymin' Man, Sinister Footwear, City Of Tiny Lites, The Torture Never Stops/Lonesome Cowboy Nando, Bolero, Whippin' Post, I Am The Walrus, The Illinois Enema Bandit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:49 am 

Frank Zappa left his notepad in the Dressing room Genoa, the last gig of the last tour. In it FZ notes that silvio berlusconi, the future PM has entered the Zappa orbit

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!