Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:29 pm 

I don't think I understood the posts I recieved before. CD is awful and outdated. Must we still only be able to buy digitalized music in 44.1 thousand samples per second represented with 16 bit word? We could have SACD or 192 thousand samples/second with a 24 bit word with DVD-A in stereo. Even DVD-video can play stereo at 96K with 24 bit word. Surely the Zappa's can help exterminate the pesty, outdated compact disc! The liner notes on the DVD-A multichannel releases say that new PCM equipment was installed in the Zappa studio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:09 pm 

zenbret wrote:
I don't think I understood the posts I recieved before. CD is 44.1 thousand samples per second represented with 16 bit word? We could have SACD or 192 thousand samples/second with a 24 bit word with DVD-A in stereo. Even DVD-video can play stereo at 96K with 24 bit word.

ok. right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:42 pm 

wow zenbret, im a music guy but youre talking way over my head. i know i got rid of my mp3 years ago because it didnt sound as good as buying a cd....you must a be one of those "audiophiles" ive heard about. you probably have some pretty serious equipment to listen on....have a FZ listening party at yer house, ill come on by! although i will say halloween sounds pretty damn good in the dvd player in my car.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:59 pm 

7 samples per minute/8-track word/0 vocals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 am 

meow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:56 am 

now thats high tech!!!!!,,,,good job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:45 pm 

Seems like no matter what level technology goes to, someone will talk about its inadequacies. Sound waves traveling through the air are an analog medium, so no matter how faithfully a digital system reproduces the sound on the master tapes, it has to be lo-pass filtered to get back to an analog signal to reach your ears; this kind of pseudo-elitist audiophile crap really pisses me off. I'd bet anything that half the people who go around complaining about the audio frequency restrictions of cd couldn't pass a Pepsi challenge with a regular cd played through a really good system, and a sacd or dvd-a played through the same system. Human hearing tops out (yeah, I'm still ranting) at 20KHz, 90% of people can't hear above 16KHz, with 44Khz sampling, it already exposes hiss and background noise of the source tapes, so I'm totally grossed out by people that complain about cds - shit, I grew up listening to cassettes and vinyl, and it sure made me happy! Maybe some people like fancy equipment better than the actual music - hmmmm? :P :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:44 pm 

antnyh wrote:
Seems like no matter what level technology goes to, someone will talk about its inadequacies. Sound waves traveling through the air are an analog medium, so no matter how faithfully a digital system reproduces the sound on the master tapes, it has to be lo-pass filtered to get back to an analog signal to reach your ears; this kind of pseudo-elitist audiophile crap really pisses me off. I'd bet anything that half the people who go around complaining about the audio frequency restrictions of cd couldn't pass a Pepsi challenge with a regular cd played through a really good system, and a sacd or dvd-a played through the same system. Human hearing tops out (yeah, I'm still ranting) at 20KHz, 90% of people can't hear above 16KHz, with 44Khz sampling, it already exposes hiss and background noise of the source tapes, so I'm totally grossed out by people that complain about cds - shit, I grew up listening to cassettes and vinyl, and it sure made me happy! Maybe some people like fancy equipment better than the actual music - hmmmm? :P :roll:

I enjoy both.
G.C.