Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:07 pm 

I'm trying to get in touch with anyone who can help me get information about aquiring the rights to sample a Zappa song.

The song is actually for charitable causes and whatnot, so it's for a good thing!

I've already emailed gail and it's been well over a week with no response but I'm almost positive she's extra busy these days so I just wanted to know if there was another outlet to reach out to.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:15 pm 

Emailing Gail is the best option. You may not get the answer you want, and it may take awhile, but I don't know another way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:51 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Emailing Gail is the best option. You may not get the answer you want, and it may take awhile, but I don't know another way.

Any specific info on how to do that?

I'm interested in seeking permission to photograph one of ZPZ's performances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:02 am 

yup, gail@zappa.com is the addy you need. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:11 am 

Don't forget to bring your check book..... :roll:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:59 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Why is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:49 pm 

Eyeballman wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Why is that?

Gail makes a big deal about groups must PAY for the right to play the music. She even believes that bar bands, tribute bands, and the like should PAY. Licensing laws aside, that's wot she tinks!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:40 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Gail makes a big deal about groups must PAY for the right to play the music. She even believes that bar bands, tribute bands, and the like should PAY. Licensing laws aside, that's wot she tinks!

Don't you think it's fair that folks making money on the music should have to pay royalties?

I, personally have little problem with that, but since that's not what I'm after, it's not an issue.

GZ has already been in touch with me (thanks again to aspy_2nd_bunch for the addy), and she has most graciously agreed to hook me up. So I'll be on Long Island in August, camera at the ready, when ZPZ takes the stage.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:01 pm 

I was wondering if anyone knew what agencies or people take care of Zappa Plays Zappa's booking/management? I have a booking inquiry.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:02 pm 

Jimihendrix55 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew what agencies or people take care of Zappa Plays Zappa's booking/management? I have a booking inquiry.
the FZT 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:05 pm 

FZT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:11 pm 

think i said it
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:25 pm 

Eyeballman wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Don't you think it's fair that folks making money on the music should have to pay royalties?

I, personally have little problem with that, but since that's not what I'm after, it's not an issue.

GZ has already been in touch with me (thanks again to aspy_2nd_bunch for the addy), and she has most graciously agreed to hook me up. So I'll be on Long Island in August, camera at the ready, when ZPZ takes the stage.

She said yes? Cool.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:15 pm 

cleon wrote:
Jimihendrix55 wrote:
the FZT 8)

Thats ZFT. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:03 am 

Hm alright I'm still a little confused. I'm guessing no one knows who I can contact besides maybe talking to Gail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:44 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
She said yes? Cool.

Yes indeed. She answered me the following day (an unusual situation I'm led to believe). Not only did she consent, she even had a few nice comments about some previous work I linked her to.

While I am a pro, performance photography is strictly a pass-time for me, so I have no intention to use the shots commercially. Offered to sign releases to that effect, but she didn't mention anything about it in her e-mail... When I register the copyrights, I'll include the ZFT as a rights holder, so even if I wanted to sell them, I couldn't do it without their permission as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:59 am 

Eyeballman wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

That's great she's agreed. Good for you, and you're welcome for the addy. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:03 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Eyeballman wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Why is that?

That's a good idea if you don't want people to hear Frank Zappa's music. That's great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:55 pm 

Eyeballman wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

I'm not sure how sampling a song would work, but it's likely different from playing a song live somewhere. Project/Object has become expert on this topic. Venues pay organizations such as ASCAP a fee to cover music being played by their bands. So the ZFT is already getting paid for the performance, so they can't charge someone on top of that. P/O has been hassled alot by the ZFT on this issue, and, of course, won, because it's the law.

It's sure a crappy way to deal with folks who want to spread the Zappa word to the masses, imo. Luckily, in this instance it seems to be working out OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I'm not sure how sampling a song would work, but it's likely different from playing a song live somewhere. Project/Object has become expert on this topic. Venues pay organizations such as ASCAP a fee to cover music being played by their bands. So the ZFT is already getting paid for the performance, so they can't charge someone on top of that. P/O has been hassled alot by the ZFT on this issue, and, of course, won, because it's the law.

It's sure a crappy way to deal with folks who want to spread the Zappa word to the masses, imo. Luckily, in this instance it seems to be working out OK.

Not to belabor the point, but I'm not interested in sampling either (and BTW, IMHO sampling = cheeze). I merely wanted to get an artist's exception to the venue's ban on "professional" cameras, which I was given.

As an artist whose had his work "sampled" (read that stolen) and used without permission, I have absolutely no problem with the ZFT's stance on the subject.

But then, I'm not trying to make a buck on someone else's legacy either.

And do try to keep in mind that Franks own opinion of "the masses" was often scathingly unflattering...