Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Questions to the ZFT
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:05 pm 

Greetings from New Zealand. Last month I travelled to Melbourne, Australia to see Zappa Plays Zappa (29th November 2007). Having enjoyed the music of various Zappas over the years (a very good return on the investment of my time and money) I was more than happy to travel to another country (albeit not that far from the point of view of people who live on continents) to see ZPZ.

I feel that I owe the crew a bit of feedback about that concert and I hope you appreciate it as valid criticism.

The level of musicianship was outstanding - easily the most talented bunch of instrumentalists I've seen live on stage together - I make no criticism of the standard of playing/singing etc.

But...

I was front row centre in the circle of the Hamer Hall. I like a good loud concert (who doesn't) and enjoy feeling, as well as hearing, the music. However, the sound level throughout the concert that night was ludicrously high, particularly in the upper-mid and high frequencies. It was so loud that the vocals were obscured almost entirely (which is a pity, as they are generally good for a laugh) and the detail in guitars was lost. I'm struggling to decide whether it was worth it - it was great to see the musicians, but the level of noise spoiled what should have been a concert of a lifetime.

I wonder if any other attendees that night had a similar experience - or was it just where I was seated? And, if a reply could come from a ZPZ band member or other 'person of importance' it would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work - but please keep an ear on the guys with their fingers on the volume knob.

Oedipus

Post subject: Re: Questions to the ZFT
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:14 pm 

oedipus wrote:
... I feel that I owe the crew a bit of feedback about that concert and I hope you appreciate it as valid criticism.

The level of musicianship was outstanding - easily the most talented bunch of instrumentalists I've seen live on stage together - I make no criticism of the standard of playing/singing etc.

But...

I was front row centre in the circle of the Hamer Hall. I like a good loud concert (who doesn't) and enjoy feeling, as well as hearing, the music. However, the sound level throughout the concert that night was ludicrously high, particularly in the upper-mid and high frequencies. It was so loud that the vocals were obscured almost entirely (which is a pity, as they are generally good for a laugh) and the detail in guitars was lost. I'm struggling to decide whether it was worth it - it was great to see the musicians, but the level of noise spoiled what should have been a concert of a lifetime.

I wonder if any other attendees that night had a similar experience - or was it just where I was seated? And, if a reply could come from a ZPZ band member or other 'person of importance' it would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work - but please keep an ear on the guys with their fingers on the volume knob.

Oedipus

My exact feelings about the Adelaide show. If and when they come back I will be armed with earplugs but I'd rather that wasn't necessary. The only piece that came across perfectly was when they played Zoot Allures, because the full band wasn't playing and you could hear every detail. On the other hand it got worse when Steve Vai came on stage because that was an extra instrument in the mix.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:02 pm 

Burger King is using "Freak Out" in a current adverting campaign.

According to FZ on at least one of the recent MOFO interviews, the
phrase "freak out" is owned by FZ. I assume the ZFT now owns it.

Isn't Burger King's use of this phrase in advertising stealing what is
owned by the ZFT?

I'd like to see the ZFT sue their greasy little butts for stealing FZ's idea.

:shock: :shock: :shock: