Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 am 

I just received a copy of the CD Dub Room Special. I would like assistance verifying it's authenticity.

Matrix as it appears on disc: V118ZR20006 1W01 V
There is no IFPI #
There is also no ZAPPA.COM #

Any assistance would be appreciated. TIA

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

Last edited by one of the uglies on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:43 am 

FYI, mine has two IFPI numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:03 am 

Thanks Maroual,

I decided to post the question because the DPI on the disc face is quite odd. It is rather green as opposed to the gray and black pictured somewhere or other on the web. Also unlike the rest of my ZR discs the mustache is printed in white as is the ZR logo. On all the others they are see through to silver. The DPI on the cover isn't exactly the greatest either.
Yet the sound quality is very good, really clear without any sort of high end distortion that I associate with ripping.
I was actually hoping to find out if people have figured out how to fake matrix numbers yet or not. Or if it is an odd foreign pressing thing, very early pressing, anything really.
I got it on Amazon, it was ordered from Maryland, but somehow arrived via the Czech Republic. That made me curious.

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:39 am 

My copy of The Dub Room has a piece of thin recording tape that is in the jewel case, Does any one know if this is a piece of the actual Dub Room tape?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:17 pm 

I finally got off my lazy ass and re-installed my scanner. It's still streaky as anything, it's old.
I figured it might be easier to get some answers if everyone could see what my disc looks like and compare to ones they know they bought through an official source.

This is the entire disc so you can see the greenish tint on the disc printing. I did not do any color correction on this.

In this I have used a color correction to highlight the sprinkle of yellow that surrounds all of the text for the disc title.

Again this is color corrected to give clarity to the red that is present in the logo, there seems to be some yellow there to.

Finally the most important part. As can be seen there is no IFPI numbering anywhere.

If anyone else has a copy that is like this, I would very much like to know as I can then consider this CD as a part of my collection, if it's a counterfeit I'll have to purchase another.
I'm OK with purchasing another copy I just don't want to if there is no reason to. TIA for any help in my collecting adventure.

Post subject: Re: verifying colors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:23 pm 

one of the uglies wrote:
Again this is color corrected to give clarity to the red that is present in the logo, there seems to be some yellow there to.

the red and yellow dots you see in the logo, are due to a printing issue. the colors are out of register.
the black background is not just a solid black, it's a build of the four colors which are used in color printing; cyan, magenta, yellow and black (the cyan seems to be in register with the black).

happens all the time, unfortunately.
(especially on cd's. one of the discs of my 'you can't do that on stage anymore, vol. 4' doesn't have any magenta at all...).

whether this cd of yours is the real thing or not, though, I cannot say, since I don't have a copy myself to compare with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 am 

That looks Ok :wink:
A little different to mine tho,Can't see somebody going has far as puting the similar numbers on playing side of disk!
This is mine
ZR20006 1W01 V IFPI L244 with the gaps.