Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pricey Schmicey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:44 pm 

Dudes and dudettes (well, mostly you dudes):  Stop whining about CD prices for Vaulternative Records releases, and all other Zappa audio and merch for that matter.<br>When you go to the wine store, do you complain that the $5 jug doesn't taste as good as the Chateau LaTour?<br>BUY Zappa, make his music a hit with everyone you know, and perhaps the marketplace will allow for your desired savings, but until then you gotta support your local genius!!<br>Fer Cryin Out Christ Already...

Post subject: Re: Pricey Schmicey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:05 pm 

<br>[quote author=Brainfang link=board=faq&num=1034120683&start=0#0 date=10/08/02 at 15:44:43]<br>When you go to the wine store, do you complain that the $5 jug doesn't taste as good as the Chateau LaTour?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Have you tried Spanish wines ? Better quality for half the price ! Drink it with your favorite T-Bone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:29 am 

OK peeps.  Dr. Including has a point there, as well as Mij.  With your leave I may revise my rant a bit:<br><br>Perhaps Vaulternative/BS is not yet providing the quality of service and competitive prices as some other labels/retailers do, but I still believe that Gail Zappa and the crew are going to handle Frank Zappa's music better than anyone else though I don't know them personally and am going on a gut feeling here.<br>So really all I am saying is that I don't mind paying a bit extra for a 2-disc set and waiting forever for it this time around if it means their label can continue to improve and prosper. The prospect of having a range of releases as extensive as Dick's Picks, or even larger, makes me salivate.  Also, this is their first release after all, and I'm sure they will consider the feedback seen on this site before the second one comes out.<br>Oh, and yes, Spanish wines are a great bargain these days.  I'm also really fond of the ~$10 Chileans I've found.<br>On a different note:  I think it's weird that any Republican likes FZ, not that I'm complaining.  There should be a study!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:30 pm 

To Mattie_Told_Hattie,<br><br>Thanks for the feedback.  You make excellent points.  For the record, I do not associate myself with liberal spew on this forum or anywhere else, and it was not my intention to suggest an anti-conservative dig in my postscript.  Certainly FZ was an equal-opportunity offender, which is one of the things I treasure most about his music and words.<br>I guess I just assumed (yes, I know what that does...) at the time of writing that people who vote Republican would be too irritated by the things Zappa said (in the Real FZ Book at least) about Republicans for them to be huge fans.  Obviously I am wrong, as any true Zappa fan knows that limitless punishment awaits any open mind!  Reety-Awrighty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:32 am 

yes, at least that`s what he said. But if so, this made him a potential millionaire. if he stopped producing new stuff, just releasing the old catalogue via Ryko (Bowie did the same in 1990, which made him some millions richer!) and sold all of his equipment, he was a millionaire.<br>In a 88 interview the first thing the interviewer asked was (I paraphrase it): "How are you doing? I see three brand new BMWs in front of the house". FZ: "yes, I can`t complain on this. I like comfort and they wouldn´be there if I could not afford it. But I don´t hort or keep the money".<br>In a swedish interview he said: Yes, I am a rich man!<br>(and Americans don`t consider themselves rich if they don´t earn at least a Million a year).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:59 am 

<br>[quote author=zliq link=board=faq&num=1034120683&start=0#8 date=10/17/02 at 09:32:05]<br>yes, at least that`s what he said. But if so, this made him a potential millionaire. if he stopped producing new stuff, just releasing the old catalogue via Ryko (Bowie did the same in 1990, which made him some millions richer!) and sold all of his equipment, he was a millionaire.<br>In a 88 interview the first thing the interviewer asked was (I paraphrase it): "How are you doing? I see three brand new BMWs in front of the house". FZ: "yes, I can`t complain on this. I like comfort and they wouldn´be there if I could not afford it. But I don´t hort or keep the money".<br>In a swedish interview he said: Yes, I am a rich man!<br>(and Americans don`t consider themselves rich if they don´t earn at least a Million a year).<br>[/quote]<br>I'd consider myself rich if I had a quarter-mil in the bank, and I'm American... well, maybe I'll change my mind if I ever get there.<br><br>Incidentally, Bowie got super rich not by releasing his old catalog via Ryko, but rather by putting his publishing company on the public stock market.  You can buy stock in Bowie's songs (his plus some other artists' material his company acquired over the years.)  He was the first artist to do that apparently.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:28 am 

I think the consumers will be the long term judges in this issue.   As a long time Zappa consumer I am very pissed off about the price and lack of availability of the fz oz album.  I live in oz and placed an order via the web page for the album.  I got a confirmation email..... and awaited delivery.. nothing happened.  i sent another email quoting my order no. and got a reply saying no such order existed.  I sent another email asking for the status of my order and got no reply.  I then discovered that my credit card was not accepted to FZFT......  well that shits me.. I have bought stuff before through the web from you guys and paid via credit card which caused you no problems.  Why is my status as a past good payer not good enough?  Why should zappas product cost me the price of about 4 albums in oz?   Who the fuck does your company exist for?  Who is it that supported Frank for all these years and now we get treated in a very shabby manner.  This is poor and I suspect you would make a lot more money (let's face it that is why the business exists.) if you treated the customers with a lot less contempt.<br>After buying every FZ album I take this as an insult.<br>I have managed to order the album through The ARtist Shop..... at a lower price... but that is not the point.  <br>Treat the fans with some respect and take seriously your responsibility to us ....... it is our money that has allowed the purchase of your bmw... cars....