Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WILDMAN FISHER
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:01 am 

Hi, I did a record with WILDMAN FISHER about twentyyears ago called LARRY COMES ALIVE. I', lookig to link up with him again so if anyone can send himmy way, Ide appreciate it:<br>info@twogood reasons.com

Post subject: Re: WILDMAN FISHER
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:08 pm 

danger!danger!<br>sensors indicate an alien intruder in this website.<br> one of my favs as a kid also

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:15 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1049122885;start=0#2 date=04/01/03 at 00:15:42]Wow!<br><br>As I was reading through the article, I saw a reference to Bill Mumy (the guy who played Will Robinson on "Lost In Space"). That was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid.<br><br>When I was a teenager, I used to listen to Dr. Demento every Sunday night. One of my favorite songs that he played was "Fish Heads," by Barnes and Barnes.<br><br>Image[/quote]<br><br>I'll have to go check that out. Lost In Space was one of my favorite shows, too. I always loved the theme song. I remember it giving me a big energy burst every time I heard it. I'll have to dig up an mp3 and see if it still has the same affect.<br><br>I used to listen to Dr. Demento on Sunday nights, too! I remember Fish Heads. I actually knew a drummer who went by the name Fish Head, but never did find out the story behind it. <br><br>I remember Dr. Demento used to play a Wild Man Fischer song pretty often named "My name is Larry." Pretty funny little autobiobraphy.<br><br>WMF did a double album that had a BUNCH of stuff on it. Two songs that come to mind are "Monkeys vs. Donkeys" and "Miss Jennifer Jones."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:44 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1049122885;start=0#3 date=04/01/03 at 01:23:24]By the way, who knew that Robot was left-handed?[/quote]<br>Once AGAIN you made me BUST OUT LAUGHING!<br>(can that, that, thing be called a hand?<br>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:44 pm 

Thanks for the leads and the story on Bill Mumy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:17 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1049122885;start=0#2 date=04/01/03 at 00:15:42]Wow!<br><br>As I was reading through the article, I saw a reference to Bill Mumy (the guy who played Will Robinson on "Lost In Space"). That was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid.<br><br>The article mentioned his website, so I found it and started surfing through it. Turns out he's a musician himself, and has actually produced albums for Larry Fisher. Not only that, but in the late seventies he was in a band called Barnes and Barnes.<br><br>When I was a teenager, I used to listen to Dr. Demento every Sunday night. One of my favorite songs that he played was "Fish Heads," by Barnes and Barnes.<br><br>I just realized that two completely different threads in my life are now connected. It's an odd feeling indeed.<br><br>Image[/quote]<br><br><br>I was a huge fan of Lost in Space as a kid - but to me, Mumy's best work was in the <br>Twilight Zone episode of ALL Twilight Zone episodes, "It's a Good Life".<br><br>Have a look at the index page of my website to see how truly sick I really am:<br>(hover your cursor over the image of Mumy to see the sick-ass .gif animation I created)<br><br>Tangento.net<br><br>AND, I recently even sent away for a $19.95 autographed TZ trading card from Billy's website, and I am fully stoked.<br>(and quite a loser, I might add)<br><br>Here is that site:<br><br>http://www.billmumy.com/<br><br><br><br>As for Wildman Fischer, it has been a looong time since I have heard that name.<br>My fave song of his is called "Larry and the New Wave", and has some suprisingly <br>haunting music as a backdrop for Larry's uhhh... 'vocal work'. <br>I assume his stuff is pretty rare these days, but I have a best friend in Cali with <br>a couple of his albums that I am sure would gladly digitize them for anyone interested.<br><br>Cool thread, guys!

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:29 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1049122885;start=0#10 date=04/07/03 at 01:07:37]So VapoSlob, I suppose you saw the sequel to "It's a Good Life" a couple of weeks ago. It was just as twisted as the original, and a lot better than the version Steven Spielberg did in the Twilight Zone movie.<br><br>Throughout his acting career, Mumy's biggest selling point has always been that "I know what you're up to" look. He was always somebody's foil. And it was fucking brilliant when Rod Serling used that look to make him the bad guy: when the bad guy knows what you're up to....... that's just evil.<br><br>And yeah... Mumy's site is pretty cool. It was nice to see that he didn't grow up into some stupid asshole, as so many child stars seem to do. The guy's got some real talent, and he appears to have parlayed that into a pretty good gig.[/quote]<br><br>Damn if I didn't miss that re-make. <br>I heard it was quite good, with Mumy's real-life daughter playing his character Anthony's daughter.<br>I hope they will air it again.<br><br>BTW, the TZ Movie segment was directed by Joe Dante, not Spielberg. <br>I thought it was killer ("peanut butter makes the burger!!")<br>...until the crappy, sappy ending.<br><br>And yes, Mumy has turned out cool as hell.<br>Not some neurotic, bitter, video store-robbing psycho -  ya know?<br>His Barnes and Barnes stuff is pretty twisted, sometimes even Residents-ish.

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen