Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:18 pm 

(I know this might be rather bold of me to start an entire new topic in a F.A.Q. board, especially seeing as how this is my first post in this forum, but I honestly didn't think it would get too much attention from the ZFT amoug the 12+ deep "ask ? here" post)<br><br>Dear Gail Zapp & ZFT (or whoever it may concern)<br><br>I was wondering if Frank Zappa's "musicals" (Uncle Meat, Joe's Garage , Thing-Fish) were ever performed on stage as actual theatrical plays and if so, are they available for performance (under the assumption that royalties fees will have to be paid and all)<br><br>I'm asking because I'm really interested in having my school's drama club perform it next year as a Cappies* show.  We're looking for something different and challenging to do, and I'm a budding Zappa fanatic ("budding" because I'm only 17 and I've been a fan for a good year and a half now).  I think putting on a Frank Zappa musical would be interesting.<br><br>On a side note, I'm not 100% sure what the status is on Uncle Meat, since it was with the original MOI and from what I hear there's been beef with the members on rights and whatnot.  Also, I'm not sure if Uncle Meat qualifies as a "musical".  If not, it'd be interesting to turn it into one, seeing as how it has dialogue accompying it and all (even if the plot is incoherent).<br><br>So yea...in a nutshell: Are Joe's Garage, Thing-Fish (and possibly) Uncle Meat available (through whatever publishing company royalties need to be paid) to be performed as theatrical musicals on stage (with a cast, characters, and all that good stuff plays have)?<br><br>Thank you for your time<br><br>Sebastian Barr a.k.a. The Lonlier Funk<br><br><br>*We have this thing in our area (being the MD/DC/VA area) called Cappies, which is pretty much a watered down high school version of the Tonys.  They send high school kids to other high schools to watch their plays and write reviews about them in hopes of getting published in The Washington Post or some local paper (at the lowest, the performing school's newspaper).<br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:22 am 

Thanks for the information.  I guess this means that at least "Thing-Fish" is available.  Where would I have to go if I wanted my high school to perform it?