Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:41 am 

Hi Keith,<br><br>Does it have to be the most asked questions? Some of the best questions may not be asked all that much. Can't Gail and Dweezil just review them and answer the ones they'd like to? I'll save mine for now.<br><br>Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:54 pm 

ISN'T THIS THE OLD FAQ'S.<br>THESE HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED.<br><br>SHOULDN'T WE USE THE ASK THE ZFT FAQ'S.<br>(I think it'll confuse the ZFT if we have some q's here and some in the new FAQ's)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:57 pm 

A question for Gail and the ZFT.  Eons ago I remember watching ABC Saturday morning show The Happening - hosted by Paul Revere and the Raiders (a Dick Clark Production) and on their news of that week they reported that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards stopped in the studio to see FZ.  (it was 1968 or 1969)<br><br> 1.) Did this ever really happen?  2.) Did they ever put anything down on tape?<br><br><br> I remember the first time I heard Lightnin Rod Man I tought maybe that was the result.  <br><br> The only other time I heard FZ mentioned on American Bandstand was when they rated one of the tunes (it could have been My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama).  It lost to whatever they put up against it.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:25 pm 

Loved Halloween...Crave Roxy! what's next and when?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:24 pm 

??? ??? ??? ???<br>Dear Zappa family and whosoever runs Barfko Swill,<br><br>My name is Paul J. Brown, scion of a Zappatista couple and in turn a Zappaholic himself, recently made my first online purchase from your rather spiffy mailorder service of FZ:OZ and Halloween DVD/Audio. I was hoping to continue to make future purchases of Frank's "unavailable to commercial vending outlets of generic taste" releases, but I've got a problem...I DON'T REMEMBER MY PASSWORD!!!!! :o. Please help me... :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:42 am 

hey now,<br><br>i apologize if this is redundant.<br><br>where can i find the offical Zappa policy on electronic distribution of live Zappa performances?<br><br>thanks for the love!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:55 am 

[quote author=5ive_6ix_6ix link=board=faq;num=1031167242;start=180#192 date=07/30/03 at 12:42:50],,,where can i find the offical Zappa policy on electronic distribution of live Zappa performances?....[/quote]<br><br>official zappa policy: no (nada, absolute zero, nil, zilch, jack-shit, double goose egg, sweet fuck-all, tons-of-naught) electronic distribution as far as i know  :'(<br><br><br>b.t.w....welcome to the z-zone, nice avatar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:29 pm 

Hi,<br><br>Will we ever see another *full* version of Sheik Yerbouti on CD, like the old EMI release? (One that has everything that the original vinyl release had on it.) <br><br>Thanks! <br><br>Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:22 pm 

Hi everybody!!<br><br>I have something of a more technical question:<br><br>As a musician, and one primarily working on the electronic/computer canvas, I have been thinking about FZ stylized samples.<br><br>Not mere rips of the mans life's work mind you, but I was thinking of something along the lines of a Soundfont collection (for us Soundblaster users).<br><br>I was thinking about this the other day when I thought about FZ's work on the Synclavier, and how amazingly far we have come in the field of music and technology.<br><br>Is it possible?  Would it be desirable for you to do so?<br><br>Thanks in advance,<br><br>Anthony Passonno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:32 pm 

Can someone help me with getting a list of Zappa albums i got a list from the Cheap thrills c.d. but was wondering if anyone had a list that had more than the disc had ?   Trip  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:18 am 

they have an official release list on zappa.com of all the albums - look for the discography. Is ths what U mean?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:09 am 

[quote author=white person link=board=faq;num=1031167242;start=195#196 date=09/02/03 at 18:49:56]<br><br>Welcome to the forum, Anthony!<br>Great googly moogly, you're basically inquiring about what has become my absolute favorite hobby - "real sample"-based PC music composition and deployment. Being fully aware of my limited, finite playing skills, and being fully aware of an intense loathing at the briefest thought of spending another minute in a moldy, weed-stinky basement trying to convince other "musicians"/friends to try to play something that I can't properly extract from my head and successfully elucidate, I have found haven in the creation and arrangements of samples extracted from any and all of a few nifty instruments, found objects, et cetera, in my posession. In case you haven't noticed, "run-on" sentences are another favorite hobby of mine. Anyways, I use a Soundblaster sound card and have installed their Live!DRIVE hardware to allow for simple, front-of-the-tower instrument connection (SPDIF, 1/4" line/mic, and MIDI, though I NEVER use MIDI). I use Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge for the recording and tweaking of individual samples, and their Acid Pro 4.0 for the arrangement and mixing of samples combined. The finished product probably confounds and disturbs most ears forced to endure its playback, but I receive most of my pleasure from creating the stuff; once it's done, it's a thing of the past - onward-ho!<br>Good luck in your endeavors, and, again, welcome to the forum.<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Ahoy<br><br>I too use Sonic Foundry's super-spiff audio mangling apps and want to kiss them always. After 5 years of posing unpossible scenerios to their highly skilled technical team, I've become friendly with their in-house-think-tank and have raised the Zappa question more than once. <br><br>About two years ago, I convinced their promomeister to contact the ZFT in the hopes that they might strike a deal and someday release Samples From Hell, or something similar. As of my last contact with Sofo in regards to this matter, the ZFT had yet to reply. <br><br>I think that I speak for many many when I say that a sample library of this nature would be a windfall for the desktop composer (particulary those with a serious Zappa fetish)! <br><br>I guess my question is: Samples From Hell...a possibility or what?<br><br>btw White Person...have you ever checked out AcidPlanet.com? A real nice place to post your music up...Absolutely Free!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:39 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=faq;num=1031167242;start=195#200 date=10/10/03 at 05:27:22]<br><br>Nort,<br>The last thing I remember FZ saying in some interview in relation to using "other peoples' stuff" in sampling was that he thought it was, "just not a very nice thing to do" and he said anything he would ever be using himself would be exclusively from his own "library" and never anyone else's. I don't know if Gail and the ZFT are ever going to stray from that ethic but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. ("IMO", that is.)<br>Back in the mid-90s I remember some Mac games that had very quick snips of "Zappa stuff" that were just long enough that you could recognise them but nothing since then.<br><br>--Bat<br>[/quote]<br><br>Bat- <br><br>You are correct sir, and I should've been a bit more clear in my proposal. <br><br>What I'm suggesting is not, for example, a loop of a vocal-less section of City Of Tiny Lites or whatever. I'm thinking more along the lines of the raw materials FZ used to compose on the Synclavier. In other words, not chunk of the Sofa but, a swatch of the maroon material used to cover it.<br><br>Sure, there's a million sample libraries that perform this function but, I have to assume that FZ's stockpile of raw materials was, to say the least, fairly unique (coffee pot anyone?)<br><br>I also remember reading an interview where he spoke on this very subject. Samples From Hell was his title and apparently, it was a proposed library intended for Synclavier users. I don't know anyone that's even seen one up close but, there has to be a way to convert the format for use with Mac or PC. <br><br>I somewhat agree with FZ's stance on sampling but, I try to keep in mind that when he was talking about this subject, it was in the context of someone rapping over a James Brown riff. I'm coming from a completely different angle here, and I have no intentions of ripping anyone off in that sense. I'd just like a high-quality Dick Barber Snork Patch to play with... :D<br><br>Nort

Post subject: The Rage & The Fury
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:03 am 

Why hasn't The Rage And The Fury been released yet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:34 am 

Why can't I get into DigiChat?  Ever since I've upgraded to Windows XP, I haven't been able to enter the chat.  <br><br>I get as far as the log in.  When I type in a username, it just hangs there.  My browser is Java enabled, and other Java apps seem to work.<br><br>Can anyone help? ???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:17 am 

Had the same problem with XP..<br><br>It seems all Java's were not created equal  :P<br><br>Try this site ,it's where I got it fixed<br><br>http://www.java-virtual-machine.net/download.html<br><br> Good luck ,...see ya in chat soon   ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:13 pm 

[quote author=stride link=board=faq;num=1031167242;start=195#205 date=10/12/03 at 12:17:01] Had the same problem with XP..<br><br>It seems all Java's were not created equal  :P<br><br>Try this site ,it's where I got it fixed<br><br>http://www.java-virtual-machine.net/download.html<br><br> Good luck ,...see ya in chat soon   ;)[/quote]<br><br>[move]YOU KICK ASS!!![/move]<br><br>Thank you Stride! :D<br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next