Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa's best guitar work
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:11 am 

hi there i'm new to the music of frank zappa and was wondering if anyone could recommend me some songs to listen to that demonstrate excellent guitar work. I'm really impressed by Zappa's soloing on songs such as 'Yo Mama' and 'Muffin Man'. What other songs compare to these?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:35 am 

Well Yo Mama and Muffin Man are great starts!<br><br>I recommend these albums:<br><br>Over-Nite Sensation - loaded with great rock tunes and killer solos, fucking brilliant - Zomby Woof solo is sick!<br><br>One Size Fits All - another one loaded with brilliant rock songs and great solos. Pojama People and Inca Roads are so great.<br><br>Hot Rats - 98% instumental LP with hot solos in Willie The Pimp and Son Of Mr. Green Genes<br><br>There are so many great ones but start with those 3 albums. Then when you are ready to have your nuts blown off get Shut Up and Play Your Guitar - a 3 album set with all live solos that will tear your face off!!!<br><br>Also City Of Tiny Lites and Rat Tomago solos on Sheik Yerbouti are awesome!!  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:46 am 

you must also hear watermelon in easter hay from joe's garage....the wehole album is great but this track is outstanding ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:16 am 

gotta be black napkins from baby snakes for me!!!!smooth tone from that SG with the star inlays!!(anybody got any good pics of franks guitars?)<br>but all of the dub room special '74 stuff is great!! frank plays so well on that footage!!!!     check it out!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:48 am 

Oh boy, "Ship Ahoy"((((((:<br><br>I liked the guitar in "The Ocean is the Ultamate Solution", that was a pretty cool idea.<br><br>And the solo in "What's New In Baltamore" is great for traffic jams(:<br><br>So many, must be 1348 of 'em(:<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:11 am 

Music for Guitar and Low Budget Orchestra reveals a complex workout on guitar, although it is nothing like the afore mentioned rippin' guitar solos. This piece of guitar work goes into a completely different direction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:30 am 

Try out Rat Tomago ___#although very hard it is a fine piece :o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 am 

[quote author=FRUNABULAX link=board=faq;num=1069423910;start=0#7 date=12/23/03 at 04:30:07]Try out Rat Tomago ___#although very hard it is a fine piece :o[/quote]<br>rat tomago is excellent  :o

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:25 am 

"Black Napkins", "Sleep Dirt", "Filthy Habits", "Transylvania Boogie", "Zoot Allures", "Watermelon In Easter Hay"; the list is practically endless.<br><br>If you want to hear Frank's mastery of the electric guitar in its unbridled glory, hunt yourself down the Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar three disc set.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:24 pm 

One I've always liked is "Them Or Us" but I don't see it referenced much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:39 am 

You should also check out the "Mamay Anthem" from the ycdtonsa vol.1.Also check out"the torture never stops pt.2" from the best band you never heard, that is a classic solo.remember to go back,you have stumbled onto an absolute genius of the musical world. Frank has been a springboard for so many talented people. Listen to Frank and then check out all the people that have played with his bands  cds as well. The torture never stops!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:34 pm 

^ Feedback mastery = "Filthy Habits"  8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:25 am 

I've liked Frank's solos from day one, but I see "Willie The Pimp" as being the first song to really take it to that next level.  Now that's still very blues-based, so I'd say Frank's unique style started to develop in the early 70's, definately before "Zoot Allures".  Like Disco Boy said, the playing on The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka is very unique, but I might go even earlier and say the album version of "Transylvania Boogie" with Frank's infamous "gypsy scale" being used with very bluesy phrasing is quite "Zappa".  Then you have later, but still Pre-"Zoot" stuff like "Inca Roads", which is so well-stated it makes "Stairway to Heaven" look like a wankfest.<br><br>Blabbering aside, I'll agree with Disco Boy as that being the official point in time when Frank's own style fully emerged.  8)