Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First Zappa Experiences
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:35 pm 

In a parking lot near Touhy and NW Hwy in Park Ridge Il in my mother's 69 Dodge waitin for a friend.. Toast.  (I heard he lives in a cardboard box now). <br>MONTANA was on a underground AM station...can't remember the call letters though.  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:11 pm 

Seeing the Phi Zappa Crappa poster when I was a little girl! I had no idea who he was, but was immediately embarrassed and thought everyone saw me look at a naked man! Horrors! It was in some store in a mall---and, no, not a head shop. Can't remember what type. Also, finding the ad for WRMF in some mag at a house a friend and I were at. I was scared to death, yet had to look back. Was this guy's face really being shredded by a rodent? I finally heard his music on Dr. Demento (yellow snow), and have never been the same! Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:01 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=faq;num=1076625351;start=0#1 date=02/12/04 at 23:11:41]Seeing the Phi Zappa Crappa poster when I was a little girl! I had no idea who he was, but was immediately embarrassed and thought everyone saw me look at a naked man! Horrors! It was in some store in a mall---and, no, not a head shop. Can't remember what type. Also, finding the ad for WRMF in some mag at a house a friend and I were at. I was scared to death, yet had to look back. Was this guy's face really being shredded by a rodent? I finally heard his music on Dr. Demento (yellow snow), and have never been the same! Yay![/quote]<br>LOL! Cool story, like the Weasels part.  8)<br><br><br>My first experiance was hearing Muffin Man stoned out of my mind. I loved it. I thought he was so funny. Then i got Cheap Thrills burnt, and have not turned back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:55 am 

Quote:
But somehow, my memories of "Concentration Moon" run just as deep as my memories of "Morning Dew."
<br><br>I was set to go to berklee college of music when I was kicked out of school for absenses. Two weeks later my best friend reminded me that they were going on Grateful Dead tour. So I packed a little bag, grabbed it, and took off on a 72' international schoolbus.<br><br>"On the bus" we had a wide variety of music; G.D., Art Blakey and the jazz messengers, steely dan, micheal Franks and my friends personal recordings of YCDTOSA1-6. By far..... no one got played as much as frank. The first song that blew me away was T'Mershi Duween. I had only heard odd time sigs. like that in classical music. Plus the drum intro was the kind of thing that reminded me why it is that I play the drums. Ever since, My love for Franks music has grown into a full blown addiction. Someday I will move to a town with musicians able to play this music and I will keep inspiring other musicians the way Frank has influenced me.<br><br>P.S. I will never forget the time we were in D.C.<br>My friend had to get his left leg amputated at birth but he is no handicapped person. Well, after the show we pulled right up to the curb where everyone was filing out. Our other friends had not met upwith us yet so we took out the speakers,put them on the roof, and blasted Frank to everyone coming out of that dead show. Some were pleasently surprised. Others were not so happy. Fuck em' ;D ;D<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:49 pm 

I just wanted to try something new one day, so i picked up a Zappa album. Best decision ever. welcome to the board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:00 am 

Around 86-87 in Västerås, Sweden. I had played guitar for a couple of years and was getting into playing classical music. I listened mostly to 70s and early 80s metal. I was playing in a guitar ensemble with these guys a couple of years older than me, and while talking about guitarists (I favored Blackmore, of course) one of them told me to check out Zappa. I went to the music library, listened to Sheik Yerbouti and was blown away. I had never heard such music before! They had a copy of Ship arriving... that you could take home and after hearing that I was hooked. I've been totally obsessed since. Except for that period when I got back into the whole metal thing, but let's forget those years...  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:05 pm 

Dad's old vinyls and cassette bootlegs.  Back when i was 9.  Now that i'm older i realize how great he is and have expanded my collection of FZ vastly.  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:33 am 

In my first year at university, 1999, I was 20. <br><br>I'd always heard of him and wanted to check him out, but his catalogue was so huge that I just didn't know where to start. The first friend I made had hundreds of CDs from every genre and he introduced me to Strictly Commercial, WOIIFTM, YCDTOSA1 and Waka/Jawaka, but it was Apostrophe' I remember as the  first time I really heard it. <br><br>His voice completely enthralled me. I remember reading the lyrics to teh first four songs as I heard them and just laughing out of joy at this brilliant, eclectic, unique, funny music and the mind behind it. <br><br>We had one of those rykodisc little catalogues of all his albums and I started getting myself familiar with his catalogue and chronology. I read his entry in a copy of the Rough Guide to Rock, I looked him up on the internet, I started buying albums and eventually started reading books on him. I became obsessed! <br><br>Thank goodness! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:54 am 

[quote author=foxinsocks link=board=faq;num=1076625351;start=0#8 date=02/24/04 at 16:05:47]Dad's old vinyls and cassette bootlegs.  Back when i was 9.  Now that i'm older i realize how great he is and have expanded my collection of FZ vastly.  [/quote]<br><br>Same story here, but I remember myself going nuts every time I came home from school (even when I was 5-6 years old) and my dad played those "loud noises".<br>A bit later (especially when Frank died) I really started to -listen- to those noises and I never really let it go.<br>So I owe it all to my daddy..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:32 am 

My dad used to listen to Zappa every once in a while. He listened for the humorous aspect of his music. The first song I remember hearing was Broken Hearts are for Assholes when I was a little kid and I thought it was funny. Then as I got older, and got more into playing the guitar, I started to listen to more and more Zappa until I was finally hooked for life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:15 pm 

First memories: I remember seeing FZ's distinctive mug in various places as a kid, and thinking that he looked kinda scary & mean.  :D Then, in around 1979, my friends and I were creating a 'Weirdness Tape' we were planning to use to torture this one guy who would always pass out at our parties. (we were around 14-15 at the time) One of the albums we borrowed from an older guy was 'Freak Out', and there ended up being PLENTY of Freak Out on that Weirdness tape. (especially the Suzy Creamcheese stuff) Also found on this now long-lost gem of a tape were chopped-up bits of Pink Floyd's 'Ummagumma', Tomita's all-synth 'The Bermuda Triangle', and tons of other twisted debris. The tape was a huge success, not only because it scared the hell out of this guy after he passed out one night, (we left him alone in a totally dark room with the tape BLARING and flashed weird lights outside the window)  ...but also because it was a big hit at many subsequent parties. It also turned many of us into Zappa fans for life. <br><br>Within the next year or two, FZ crept his way into my life on many fronts. Most notably, I remember one friend who used to play "Lemme Take You to the Beach" whenever we went to his house, and quite FRANKly, it used to annoy the hell out of me. But then when it came time for Greggery Peccary, I remember being totally amazed at the complexity and completely off-kilter style of this music, and instanly gained new respect. Soon after this, my best buddy began turning me on to the rest of FZ's catalog, starting with 'Roxy & Elsewhere' and from that point on I was hooked for life. (especially when I first heard 'Drowning Witch/ Envelopes/ Teenage Prostitute')

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:46 pm 

I was in high school, probably '74...I was heavily into The Who, Bowie, and ELP at the time...I had heard of Frank, but hadnt heard any of his music...so one night about 4 or 5 of us drove over to this guy's house that we didnt usually hang out with to, uh, hang out (we'd go anywhere...we'd do anything)...and get stoned...VERY stoned...<br><br>So we're sitting there hanging out and getting very stoned and this other guy who wasnt in our "group" but who was at the house, starts talking to our host and they start talking about Frank...and they start talking about how much they like the "Hot Rats" album...<br><br>Then our host (who I barely knew) jumps up and says, "Wait, check this out!" And he takes the record that was playing off the turntable and pops on another record...and doesn't say anything about what he's putting on...<br><br>So this music starts to play and we're completely stoned and it sounds bizarre, yet excellent (well at least it did to me)...and we're all kinda looking at each other as if to say, "What the fuck is this?"...and the host wont tell us what it is...and we listened to the entire side of this album, which turned out to be Weasels, side one...<br><br>So the very first Zappa song I ever heard was Didja Get Any Onya, and the ensuing songs of side one...and I thought it was great stuff and funny besides! <br><br>Shortly thereafter I was hanging at the house of a new friend I'd made and he played me Apostrophe, which we listened to all the way thru...when Stinkfoot ended, I asked him to flip the album back over and start from the beginning again...he did, and we listened to it thru again, and it was basically all over. I was hooked. <br><br>Somewhat later on I bought Uncle Meat on the recommendation of another friend, and OSFA on my own. As I listened to these albums for the first time, I realized I'd have a lifelong devotion to this music. <br>

>You don't.