Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: GIVE US TRIVIA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:19 pm 

I call on the webmaster, here, to start a ZAPPA trivia post.<br>  Give us something to work with and talk about,<br>Possibly a new question weekly would be great.

Post subject: Re: GIVE US TRIVIA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:27 pm 

[quote author=trendm0nger link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=0#0 date=03/07/05 at 20:19:18]I call on the webmaster, here, to start a ZAPPA trivia post.<br>  Give us something to work with and talk about,<br>Possibly a new question weekly would be great.[/quote]<br><br>that's a good idea  ;D<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

Post subject: re: give us trivia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:04 pm 

don't know if there is a webmaster these days, but it could be fun<br><br>gz: scan & post some obscure fz document or notes other mysterious remnant & ask some kind of esoteric question, then turn it into a t-shirt or jig-saw puzzle or some such shit<br><br>joe traverse: post a new mystery name the riff on a weekly basis, wait a week, then disclose the answer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:38 pm 

lets get excited after we talk to th gurney's<br>and 12 grey [ seriously at play ] .. attourney's

Post subject: Question #1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:03 am 

Question No. 1:<br><br>Which artist is Captain Beefheart talking about?<br><br>The pop musisican Captain Beefheart experienced his psychotic episodes at first hand at a concert in San Fernando Valley.<br><br>" They gave him a grand piano, a really beautiful Steinway, surmounted  by a cut-glass bowl full of roses. He came in late wearing a trench coat. He dumped the bowl in the piano, knocked down the lid, and hit one note. The sound: everything going on in the piano, the strings, the water splashing, the roses. Then he left." <br>Captain Beefheart characterizes this as: " The most memorable performnace I ever witnessed!" .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:06 am 

I didn't know of this performance, but my guess is Nicholas Slominski. <br>  Slominski joined FZ onstage during the 81 tour. Dec. 11, 1981 for a solo with the band, and is seen on several Zappa documentaries. I recall one interview where Slominski visited Zappa and he mentions how amazed he was at the piano Zappa had with an additional full lower octave set of keys.<br><br>is it SLOMINSKI??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:48 am 

[quote author=trendm0nger link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=0#7 date=03/10/05 at 11:06:52]I<br>is it SLOMINSKI??[/quote]<br><br>No... :)<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:04 am 

John Cage?

Post subject: ANSWER #1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:52 am 

[quote author=Lumpy Gravy link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=0#9 date=03/10/05 at 13:03:14]<br><br>Thelonious Monk.<br>[/quote]<br><br>RIGHT!!! ;D<br><br>It is on the internet but also in Monk's biography by Thomas Fitterling.<br><br>http://members.lycos.nl/teejo/argue/ear.html<br><br>PLAYING IT BY EAR WITH CAPTAIN BEEFHEART <br><br>from VANITY FAIR #2 010483 usa <br>by jim miller <br>is early months 1983 interview <br><br><br><br>thelonious monk * mysterioso (1948; with vibraphone)<br><br>....a cute variation on chopsticks. the drums tag along like telescoping vibes, wrong end. i really like thelonious monk. but he has done better things, like 'epistrophy'. a great arranger. i saw him once in a theater in the san fernando valley. they gave him a grand piano, a really beautiful steinway, with a cut-glass bowl of roses. he came in late, wearing a trench coat. he dumped the bowl in the piano, knocked down the lid, and hit óne note... the sound: everything going into the piano, the strings, the water splashing, the roses. and then he left. god, óne note. i clapped off my fingernails......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:12 pm 

Here's an easy one:<br><br>I believe it's the only Zappa song title with a brand name in it.

They never won't

Post subject: re: give us trivia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:24 pm 

[quote author=carvin_abuser link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=0#14 date=03/13/05 at 16:12:34]Here's an easy one:<br><br>I believe it's the only Zappa song title with a brand name in it.[/quote]<br>it must be a camel<br>time is money<br>packard goose<br>bob in dacron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:55 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=15#15 date=03/13/05 at 16:35:22]<br>Electric Aunt Jemima?<br><br>The Legend of The Golden Arches?<br><br>Florentine Pogen?<br><br>Ms. Pinky?<br><br>Ludens?[/quote]<br><br>I was thinking Electric Aunt Jemima.  Did Frank have a song called Ludens?<br>

They never won't

Post subject: Re: give us trivia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:00 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=15#16 date=03/13/05 at 18:24:20]<br>it must be a camel<br>time is money<br>packard goose<br>bob in dacron[/quote]<br><br>Overlooked those.<br><br>Awright, somebody get the Inquisitor in here.<br><br>  <br>

They never won't

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:55 am 

[quote author=pigs_have_beards link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=15#19 date=03/14/05 at 07:39:29]Here are mine, may be a bit simple for you expert zappaologists :P<br>[glow=red,2,300]Q[/glow]<br>1) What was the nearest time Frank came to eating shit<br>Holiday Inn Fayetteville NC 1974<br><br>2) What zappa song describes something "a little ugly on the side".<br>Dumb All Over<br><br>3) Name the first full-length album zappa produced for another artist.<br>wild man fischer: an evening with wild man fischer<br><br>4) What 3 albums did Frank release while been on a wheelchair?<br>Just Another Band From L.A. - WAKA - Wazoo<br><br>5) What was Frank's 15th birthday present?<br>A long distance call to Varese. He was not home but FZ talk to the misses.<br><br>6) What was Frank's favourite album he made?<br>Lumpy Gravy<br><br>7) Who are better than the beatles?<br>The Shaggs<br><br>8 What does Eric Clapton say on "We're only in it for the money"?<br>It's God. I See God<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>1) What was the nearest time Frank came to eating shit<br>Holiday Inn Fayetteville NC 1974<br><br>2) What zappa song describes something "a little ugly on the side".<br>Dumb All Over<br><br>3) Name the first full-length album zappa produced for another artist.<br>wild man fischer: an evening with wild man fischer<br><br>4) What 3 albums did Frank release while been on a wheelchair?<br>Just Another Band From L.A. - WAKA - Wazoo<br><br>5) What was Frank's 15th birthday present?<br>A long distance call to Varese. He was not home but FZ talk to the misses.<br><br>6) What was Frank's favourite album he made?<br>Lumpy Gravy<br><br>7) Who are better than the beatles?<br>The Shaggs<br><br>8 What does Eric Clapton say on "We're only in it for the money"?<br>It's God. I See God<br><br>That was TOO EASY!!!!<br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:26 am 

[quote author=pigs_have_beards link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=15#21 date=03/14/05 at 08:07:35]<br>Hahaha you edited that from Fillmore to Just another band from LA, I was about to correct you[/quote]<br><br>yes... like 10 seconds after i posted. i was thinking out of sequence for a second.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:07 am 

" I got fined because I hadn't memorized this little piece called " Little house I used to live in"<br>The rehearsal ended up in  fiasco.The next day he came up with this lyrics:<br>" Maybe you should stay with your Mama..."<br><br>Who was the bulls eye for this songwrath?... ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:33 am 

[quote author=UNICA link=board=faq;num=1110255558;start=15#23 date=03/14/05 at 11:07:27]" I got fined because I hadn't memorized this little piece called " Little house I used to live in"<br>The rehearsal ended up in  fiasco.The next day he came up with this lyrics:<br>" Maybe you should stay with your Mama..."<br><br>Who was the bulls eye for this songwrath?... ???[/quote]<br><br>Tommy Mars<br>