Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: thana harris
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:28 pm 

pardon my extreme ignorance but having recently bought the new cd of sleep dirt - who is thana haris and WHY and WHEN were her vocals put on the tracks? who put them on?

Post subject: re: thana harris
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:09 pm 

good topic.....<br><br>check this thread <--<br><br>and this one <--<br><br>harris was fz's biggest mistake, a fucking travesty<br><br>what the fuck was he thinkin  ???<br><br>get the vinyl !!<br>

Post subject: Re: thana harris
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:21 pm 

thank you slime.<br><br>i admire thana for technically handling the melodies but must say i prefer the originals.<br><br>this is why they are there tho: The album was released in 1979 as an all-instrumental work. Upon its CD reissue in 1991, however, Zappa enlisted operatic singer Thana Harris to add vocals to "Flambay", "Spider Of Destiny" and "Time Is Money" (the lyrics to which address the semi-obscure "Huntchentoot" saga, Zappa's tale of cosmic conquest by a monstrous spider). The original drum tracks, moreover, were replaced by overdubs from Chad Wackerman. <br><br>...but yeah, vinyl is king. i have a lot of these remasters and as a graphic artist, the little facsimiles of the originals look dumb. at least the repackagers have often included larger foldout versions - but of course nothing can compare with at ol' 12'' square!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:51 pm 

sebastiaan<br><br> i have checked out the threads and am surprised at the passionate fury of some of the posts.<br><br>then again, i guess zappa fans are a pretty passionate lot.<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:23 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=faq;num=1109291328;start=0#1 date=02/24/05 at 17:09:46]good topic.....<br><br>check this thread <--<br><br>and this one <--<br><br>harris was fz's biggest mistake, a fucking travesty<br><br>what the fuck was he thinkin  ???<br><br>get the vinyl !!<br>[/quote]<br>where's isaac when you need a good old fashioned fight  about thana harris  ;D<br>

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:13 pm 
Banned

[quote author=Peter342 link=board=faq;num=1109291328;start=0#6 date=02/26/05 at 16:43:41]I thought she did a good good on "baby take your teeth out"[/quote]<br><br>Don't forget Planet Of My Dreams. That's another good one.<br><br>And, yes, I do like the Sleep Dirt CD.<br><br>Now shut up about it!<br><br>Christ, you guys have been harassing me about this one for three fuckin' years now.....it's getting old! ::)

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:20 pm 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=faq;num=1109291328;start=0#5 date=02/24/05 at 18:23:40]<br>where's isaac when you need a good old fashioned fight  about thana harris  ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>ask and ye shall receive ....