Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa for kids?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:50 am 

Hey- here's a weird one for ya- <br>I have recently discovered that my 5 year old is a Zappa fan.  :o It started when I thought the kids were asleep in the backseat and I slipped in a Zappa cd. Everything was great, I was jammin' along, listening to Titties and Beer, and when the song was over I heard an enthusiastic "Play that song again mom!". So I did some quick thinking, played it again for her, and tried to sing really loud "kitties" everytime the word "titties" came up. It was hard, but I did it, and convinced her it was kitties and beer.  ;) Not that they (my kids) or I have anything against titties- I nursed them for a long time, in fact they're quite fond of them!<br><br>So anyway, my daughter is dying for more Zappa songs. She knows Kitties and Beer (who am I kidding- ahe knows it titties), Valley Girl, and Don't eat the Yellow Snow by heart. She and my husband love to alternate singing the verses. What bonding. <br><br>Have yall ever thought about putting an album out of semi-"kid-friendly" songs? Ya know, Baby Snakes, don't Eat the Yellow Snow, etc. Just a thought, perhaps absurd and self serving, but just a thought. <br><br>

Post subject: Re: Zappa for kids?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:59 am 

[quote author=southernmutha link=board=faq;num=1116107405;start=0#0 date=05/14/05 at 14:50:05]Hey- here's a weird one for ya- <br>I have recently discovered that my 5 year old is a Zappa fan.  :o It started when I thought the kids were asleep in the backseat and I slipped in a Zappa cd. Everything was great, I was jammin' along, listening to Titties and Beer, and when the song was over I heard an enthusiastic "Play that song again mom!". So I did some quick thinking, played it again for her, and tried to sing really loud "kitties" everytime the word "titties" came up. It was hard, but I did it, and convinced her it was kitties and beer.  ;) Not that they (my kids) or I have anything against titties- I nursed them for a long time, in fact they're quite fond of them!<br><br>So anyway, my daughter is dying for more Zappa songs. She knows Kitties and Beer (who am I kidding- ahe knows it titties), Valley Girl, and Don't eat the Yellow Snow by heart. She and my husband love to alternate singing the verses. What bonding. <br><br>Have yall ever thought about putting an album out of semi-"kid-friendly" songs? Ya know, Baby Snakes, don't Eat the Yellow Snow, etc. Just a thought, perhaps absurd and self serving, but just a thought. <br><br> [/quote]<br>my little girl loves zappa, sometimes she asks if we can watch the dvds.....secretly i think she's trying to get me in a good mood so she can ask for chocolate biscuits but i can't prove it  ;D

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

Post subject: re: zappa for kids?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:24 pm 

son 'o slime's picks:
  • stinkfoot
  • montana
  • baby snakes
  • toads of the short forest/aybe sea/handsome cabin boy
  • 200 years old
  • muffin man
  • pojama people
his absolute fav (mine too) is zoot allures from dhbim dvd...anything with a solid bluesy bass line seems to work

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:04 pm 

Hey- I feel so much better now! Glad to know I'm not the only one who feeding Zappa to their kids! I just figured that if she was actually into GOOD music I should foster it.  ;D <br>

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:18 pm 

Why not a whole collection for kids?<br><br>Baby Snakes<br>Stay Away From (Uncle Meat)<br>Mom & Dad<br>Mother People<br>Eat All Your Vegetables<br>Stinkbutt<br>The Hobby Horsie<br>Yo' Mama<br>Rubber Pants<br>Hungry Shrieks, Daddy<br>Motherly Love<br>Sleeping In A Crib<br>Pickin' For Boogers<br>Mud Pie<br>The Orange County Diaper Truck<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:26 pm 

I think there is a thread similar to this, but as usual, I'm too lazy too find it. Here's some great introductions to the music of Frank Zappa for chilluns:<br><br>        Wowie Zowie<br>        Peaches En Regalia<br>       Love Of My Life<br>        Valarie<br>        Jelly Roll Gum Drop<br>        Uncle Bernie's Farm<br>       Greggary Peccary<br>       Montana                           man, there are scads more...just jump in and have fun! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:36 pm 
Banned

dove_grey wrote:
I think there is a thread similar to this, but as usual, I'm too lazy too find it.

and here it is: http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=albums;action=display;num=1032337840;start=0 8)

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:26 pm 

Sweeeeet! I appreciate ya taking time to look up that thread. It was fun to read.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:32 am 

I had a friend who's favorite song when she was growing up was Cheepnis.   <br>I remember my mom trying to hide stupid shit like that from me.  I recall once watching a soap opera and this unmarried couple are lying together in bed, I know my mom is uncomfortable with this on the screen, so I ask, "are they really in bed together?"  <br>"no Noah, those are special effects."  <br>I laughed, but to tell you the truth, I still don't trust her!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:04 am 

My 10 year old son loves Cheepnis. He digs sci-fi stuff so the concept of it really caught his ear.<br><br>He draws his own comicbook type action figure stuff and made a guy named "Frunobulax"!! Very cool stuff

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:37 am 

When i was a kid, must have been between 6-7 years, my brother played me broken hearts are for assholes. I loved the song, and asshole was one of the first english words i knew, and i thought it was so fuckin funny when frank sang: <br>You're an asshole, you're an asshole Yes, yes. You're an asshole, you're an asshole That's right<br><br>I was very into obscure body parts at that time of my age  :-/<br><br>So thats how i started loving frank haha  ;D<br><br>

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:45 am 

Hey Jay, if your kid is that into sci-fi, try getting him to read the movie description/ storyboards in the Uncle Meat cd, then watch the movie.  Maybe he can explain to me how the hell this was all supposed relate!!!!?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:34 pm 

My friend who was raised on Zappa, said her favorite album was always Absolutely Free.  I can really see how that cd would be exciting to a youngster!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:46 pm 

<br>another topic of the discussion: don't you just HATE those "babies go mozart"  "babies go beatles" cds? <br>are children stupid or WHAT?? how can anyone think that those cds are BETTER than the real ones??<br><br>hahaha...just imagine: "babies go zappa"  :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:46 am 

[quote author=mailen link=board=faq;num=1116107405;start=15#18 date=09/26/05 at 21:46:56]...just imagine: "babies go zappa"  :P[/quote]<br><br>I'd rather just imagine "babies go ..."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:39 pm 

My daughter loves him, when Timmo was over the other weekend, and we watched Baby Snakes, she went ape cos she wasn't here to watch it with us...hahaha....she's 8 years old. Thinkin about it, she had no choice really but to listen and get into the music she now likes. It's been played around her since she was born. She loves the claymation on BBSNX and adores "Broken Hearts Are For Assholes" hehehe...<br>Its cool cos shes playin guitar, flute and havin a go at drums as well now and I feel that seeing as she's into such good sounds, I have a responsibility to nurture this. She steals my mp3 player and listens to The Who/ Jeff Buckley/Johnny Cash and Floyd as well. Hahaha she was in bed lastnight singing "I Walk The Line"...she's amazing.  ;D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:11 pm 

I had my daughter dancing with me to  <br>The Black Page 1988 New Age Version<br>when she was 7 days old.<br><br>She also seems to like <br>YCDTOSA Vol 5 Disc 1 very much.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:42 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=faq;num=1116107405;start=0#12 date=05/16/05 at 10:04:04]My 10 year old son loves Cheepnis. He draws his own comicbook type action figure stuff and made a guy named "Frunobulax"!! Very cool stuff[/quote]<br><br>Your son rocks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:39 pm 

One son loves Linkin Park and that ilk, one son loves rap, and my daughter loves country. But that's just the way it is, you can't tell your kids what to like.<br><br>